Amp mouting location in 04 F150 SCrew

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 12:34 AM
CardnalSyn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amp mouting location in 04 F150 SCrew

i was wondering where is the best spot to mount an amp in a 04 SCrew. i read a how-to on how to remove the back seats and it said that you can remove them to mount an amp, crossover, etc. but in a another post i read that it would not be safe to mount an amp due to air circulation. If it can got behind the seat, where else can i mount it?

Old 01-14-2007, 05:15 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can mount behind the seat, but you should use a class D amp. They handle and dissapate the heat better.

However, you put it under any seat you like. Under the dash will be a little confind.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:10 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Search the archives for rear seat removal. There's a few with pics on how to do it.

I have a JL Audio 300/4 and 250/1 behind the rear seat. I mounted a piece of 3/8" plywood to the wall behind the pad and screwed my amps into it from the front. It's a little crampy in there, but it fits ok since the overall height is just enough to clear the back of the seat when mounted as close to the floor as possible.

BTW, Class D's don't 'handle or dissipate the heat better'. They are more efficient than standard Class B amps by design. Class D's run approx 80% efficient versus Class B's less than 50% efficiency. For a 100W audio output, class D dissipates ~25W; class B dissipates approx ~100W of heat.

And, yup, my 300/4 (class B amp) gets pretty darn toasty after a while. Whereas my 250/1 sub amp (class D) is barely warm.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:24 AM
cln2po
Senior User
Originally Posted by aquaman
Search the archives for rear seat removal. There's a few with pics on how to do it.

I have a JL Audio 300/4 and 250/1 behind the rear seat. I mounted a piece of 3/8" plywood to the wall behind the pad and screwed my amps into it from the front. It's a little crampy in there, but it fits ok since the overall height is just enough to clear the back of the seat when mounted as close to the floor as possible.

BTW, Class D's don't 'handle or dissipate the heat better'. They are more efficient than standard Class B amps by design. Class D's run approx 80% efficient versus Class B's less than 50% efficiency. For a 100W audio output, class D dissipates ~25W; class B dissipates approx ~100W of heat.

And, yup, my 300/4 (class B amp) gets pretty darn toasty after a while. Whereas my 250/1 sub amp (class D) is barely warm.
No Class D is 80% efficient. More like 65% at BEST in real world applications. But you are correct - its far better than the 40-55% ratings for class A/B.