Audiovox Satellite XMCK-10A

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 09:03 AM
BFF250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audiovox Satellite XMCK-10A

I have an Audiovox Satellite radio to install in my 06 F250 XLT. I may have an install shop do the work as it's too cold to crawl around in a vehicle here for the next 2-3 months. The guy at the shop said he would also recommend an FM modulator to be installed at the same time to give improved reception. I can understand there might be areas in cities, etc where there may be reception problems, but probably about 100 percent of our time we will have unobstructed satellite coverage.
What do you guys think? Is the modulator a sales "add on" or will it actually help the radio? The additional cost is minimal, but if I don't need it, why get it. Thanks for the input.

Bob
06 F250 XLT 4X4 Off-Road 5.4 Triton 3.73

Old 01-17-2007, 10:59 PM
AerostarTrailHiker
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I put that unit in my truck several months back. Mounted it on the Driver's Glove compartment door. (I would have moved it more to the right, but my Ham radio is there.!!) At the same time I installed a PIE FRD04-AUX interface so the signal from the Magnavox XM unit goes directly to the car radio. It sounds great.

Just because you may not be in areas usually associated with interference, don't assume that rural areas don't have interference. RF interference shows up in the weirdest places. The RF modulator will help improve the signal quality. I would investigate what PIE (Precision Interface Electronics) has for your truck. Crutchfields is a good place to get information.

Good luck!!

Old 01-19-2007, 01:08 PM
BFF250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanx for the reply. Prevailing wisdom on another forum as well as your experience favors the modulator so I will do that with the install. Easier now than later.
Also I was directed to the following website on another forum http://members.***.net/richardray/satradioinstall.html. This detailed a satellite radio install in an F250.

Bob
06 F250 XLT EC 4X4 5.4 Triton

Old 01-22-2007, 10:44 PM
markn455
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AerostarTrailHiker
(I would have moved it more to the right, but my Ham radio is there.!!)
Hey, I am a ham operator as well. I have not put my equipment in the truck yet but want to soon. Care to share how and were you mounted your antenna and raido?

Mark
Ball Ground, GA

Old 01-29-2007, 10:09 PM
AerostarTrailHiker
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Markn455 -

Don't have any pictures at the moment, but I'll tell you what I did...

The rig is an ICOM 207H 2M/440 unit. The goal was to attach the unit to the dash in such a way that it was secure and if I removed it later, you would not see the holes easily.

On the dash, below the car radio and climate control system is a "hook" that some people use as a trash bag holder. I removed the hook (it is a small panel) and drilled several holes in the recess for the bracket screws. Once the bracket was mounted, I re-installed the panel. The mount is solid. It could probably hold my HF rig!

I have an external speaker that I mounted to the middle of the trans hump by the Dask.

The power for the radio comes from upfitter switch #1, which can handle the current load with ease (so much better than having to run a power cable to the battery!)

The antenna is attached to the driver side rear door. The door mount has adjustments to pivot the antenna in multiple directions so it can point up. The coax runs along the trim and dash board to the radio.

Nice and clean. If you want pics, let me know and I'll take em / send them.

Hope this helps!!

Old 01-30-2007, 05:30 AM
markn455
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This helps a lot. However, pictures are alway great. I had not thought of mounting the antenna on the door. That certainly has possibilities.

Thanks

Mark
Ball Ground, GA