TPS question - is there one on a manual tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 10:32 AM
unioncreek
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPS question - is there one on a manual tranny?

I thought they were only on engines with an auto tranny. I don't have a manual for my son's 86 with the 2.9 yet. I get a hesistation on accelleration, I've replaced the plugs, wires, cap/rotor and fuel filter. On the butterfly shaft their is an electrical item, is this a TPS? I didn't think the engines with a manual tranny had them. Is there a way to test these to set if it's working right so I can eliminate it from my hesistation problem. The heistation is only under medium to heavy acceleration.

Bobg

Last edited by unioncreek; 01-12-2007 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:27 AM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When my 87/2.9/5 speed was pinging & stalling off the line in 1st gear, I hooked up my 30 buck actron scanner & pulled a code 53 "TPS voltage too high"

I then conected my 11 buck actron sensor tester to the TPS, & in about 20 seconds it told me that the TPS was indeed shot.The output voltage was jumping all over the place.

First thing you need to do is pull the codes.

If the TPS, MAP or O-2 sensor is shot pulling the codes will tell you.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:23 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, the thing on the throttle body is the TPS. They're on all EFI engines regardless of transmission type.

As 87 XLT said, pull the codes first. It can really eliminate a lot of headaches from chasing gremlins and takes the guessing out of the equation. You can buy a scanner for 30 bucks or so, or there are other options for pulling codes without a scanner. Here's how:

http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13

Also, check out the menu on the right side of the page that I linked to. There's all sorts of good info on that site for Ford EFI.