Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission acting funny

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 07:33 AM
straightexhaust
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission acting funny

Hi, I have a 1989 f250 with a 351w and a zf 5speed. I'm experiencing a lot of stick throw and lurching when i get off the gas or when i get back on the gas. Also when im in any gear even neutral with the clutch let out i get like a slight grinding noise. The clutch was replaced right before i got the truck and it just started doing this the other day. Im not sure wht this might be. If anyone has any ideas let me know. Thanks, Jason

Old 01-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Do`nt know about tht grinding noise but I would think the stick movement indicates a failed transmission mounting.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:16 PM
straightexhaust
Senior User
so you think it could be a tranny mount?

Old 01-11-2007, 02:31 PM
1just4don
Freshman User
sounds like to me

IF this grinding is clutch out,and NOT with clutch depressed,and its not the clutch release bearing running from inadquate free play,,,you have a internal tranny bearing problem.

Check your free play of the release bearing,,,if you ride the clutch OR it isnt ajusted correctly,,,it doesnt last very long!!!

other than that IF your tranny is grinding like that,,,better get her tore down fast cause grinding grinds other components with those grindings and may cost you an entire tranny contents!! IF its minor,,,other components might be saved, "maybe"

I dont know MUCH,,but that much I do know!!

Old 01-11-2007, 04:30 PM
straightexhaust
Senior User
well im not exactly sure if it grinds its more of a rubbing noise i guess, it gets increasingly louder as i up shift. also, this is a little off topic but how come i cant do a burnout? 1st gear is too low it seems and second grips too much. is it because of tht low 1st?

Old 01-11-2007, 04:53 PM
1just4don
Freshman User
so you are saying

The now 'rubbing' sound gets louder the faster you go?? Shifting up means what to you?? Higher or lower gears? Might want to check all u-joints just for starters. IF you have jack stands(VERY sturdy) """dont EVER crawl under a car with just a jack holding it up!!!""" Fatal attraction is a car on a jack!! Now after being secure in the air,,,can you hear noise while it is running??? Can you scoot undrneath and 'see' and hear where its coming from?? Safely??? It could still be from tranny,,,previous response still holds 'then'. Be sure there isnt something rubbing on driveline,,,strange things have caused weird noises!! And noise has a way of transfering itself!!

Old 01-11-2007, 05:14 PM
straightexhaust
Senior User
Ok thanks for all th help sorry for misleading you saying that it was grinding. It was just the first word that came to mind to describe it. Ill lay under it tommorow ive got a lot of school stuff to get done but hopefully at the end of this 3 day weekend coming up i will have fixed the problem.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:33 PM
handyman43358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by straightexhaust
also, this is a little off topic but how come i cant do a burnout? 1st gear is too low it seems and second grips too much. is it because of tht low 1st?
Because you drive a truck, not a Mustang or a ricer.. First gear is too low because it is used for getting a heavy load started off. Second gear is geared a little higher than normal, but you can still take off normally in second.

Treat that truck nice if you want it to last. This could have something to do with the problems you are having with your transmission. Don't trash that tranny, there are many of us here who would like to get our hands on a ZF.

Last edited by handyman43358; 01-11-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:09 PM
straightexhaust
Senior User
Well with the old tires it had on it I figured id do a couple small burnouts to wear off some tread before I got new ones for inspection but once I knew it wouldnt I stopped right away so I didnt mess anything up. Believe me I love this truck and tranny and I dont go around ripping through the gears like a hot rod. I was just wondering why It hooks up so quickly. I just wasn't sure why.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:15 PM
straightexhaust
Senior User
Now I know why, thanks handyman.

Oh and it started all this noise and all before I tried doing a burnout so its not from me nor did it worsen or anything after i tried. Who knows, who installed the clutch before i bought it, so it may just be an adjustment issue.

Last edited by straightexhaust; 01-11-2007 at 06:17 PM.