2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad exhaust decision

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 09:37 PM
fordtruckowner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Bad exhaust decision

Hey Guys,
Newbie to the forum. Lot of great info here. I am looking for some help with a bad choice (for me) in my choice of exhaust. I have a 2006 screw and had flowmaster 40 put on a couple of weeks ago. These are just a little too loud for my taste. I wanted a muted rumble but I got a loud drone at about 1500-2000 rpms. They are not bad at highway speed but exceleration is louder than what I was expecting. I do not want to spend a lot more money. I have already spent $1200 in mods. Need opinions on quiet cat back system. A friend says to go with Glasspacks, he states they should be much quieter and the costs to replace the flowmasters would not be too bad. Also, does anyone have the Glasspack web site. I have done a google search and can't find there web site, could be under different name. Any help would be greatly appreciated, the drone is getting to me.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:49 PM
texastechsun
New User
if you dont like flowmasters sound you damn sure wont want a glasspack. they pop real loud. i would probably go with dynomax they have a very subtle tone. that and you maywant to look at what kind of pipes you have on it. if you have echo tips on the back it will be much louder. my suggestion is dynomax with it dumped past the axle. my friend has that setup and is you can tell hehas an exaust system but it is not overly noticable. hope that helped.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:14 PM
the4by4freek
Posting Guru
I had the 40 series on my Expedition. I know exactly what you mean by drone! I put a 50 series on my F-150. SIDO exits at the corners. Much nicer sound at cruising speed. No drone and sounds great at idle. Also sounds good at WOT. Not too loud but definately noticeable!

Old 01-11-2007, 12:28 AM
KZooDirt
Senior User
You'd also be surprised (as mentioned above) at how much final exhaust dump can affect sound- dumped straight out, to the side, down at the pavement, etc... Might be questions to answer there- I don't have exhaust on my truck, but I know from my Mustang days...

<sigh>

Old 01-11-2007, 09:57 AM
fordtruckowner
Senior User
Thanks for the responses thus far. TexasTechSun I found out from my installer that the tips he put on do add to some of the reverberation for lack of a better term. He told me that I am not the first 40 something truck owner who has come back asking to have it toned down. He is offering to put on another muffler he sales and guarantees it will solve my concern. He is going to do it for the costs of the muffler, no labor. He is talking around $50 bucks to cut out the FM and install the new one. He did not give the muffler name, I am scheduled to see him in the morning and discuss further. It kind of sounded like some off brand, so the quality may not be real high but he assured me I would get 3-5 years out of it. He also told me that if I did not think it fixed my concern I would not have to pay him. He is that confident based on the other 40 somethings that have come back for the same reason and are now happy. He is a very reputable muffler guy in my area and I have a lot of confidence in his work. I should have done a little more research before putting on the FMs. My bad so it is going to cost me about $50. Keep any other suggestions coming today I will be checking this thread tonight beofre I see him in the morning.
Thanks Again

Old 01-11-2007, 10:17 AM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
yep, flowmasters are known to drone, you should have asked us on here first before going down to the muffler shop! I even had the 50 series on my old truck and it droned too.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:20 AM
the4by4freek
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordtruckowner
Thanks for the responses thus far. TexasTechSun I found out from my installer that the tips he put on do add to some of the reverberation for lack of a better term. He told me that I am not the first 40 something truck owner who has come back asking to have it toned down. He is offering to put on another muffler he sales and guarantees it will solve my concern. He is going to do it for the costs of the muffler, no labor. He is talking around $50 bucks to cut out the FM and install the new one. He did not give the muffler name, I am scheduled to see him in the morning and discuss further. It kind of sounded like some off brand, so the quality may not be real high but he assured me I would get 3-5 years out of it. He also told me that if I did not think it fixed my concern I would not have to pay him. He is that confident based on the other 40 somethings that have come back for the same reason and are now happy. He is a very reputable muffler guy in my area and I have a lot of confidence in his work. I should have done a little more research before putting on the FMs. My bad so it is going to cost me about $50. Keep any other suggestions coming today I will be checking this thread tonight beofre I see him in the morning.
Thanks Again
When you go in ask him about the 50SUV series FM. I tow with my truck and I didn't want that drone at 2100 RPM's. The shop owner told and assured me that there would be no drone and the sound would be just right. He hit the nail on the head! This setup sounds great. There are pictures in my gallery of the exit locations and the tips I had installed. They are 3"x18" angle cut tips. They don't magnify the final note and they look good. My Expedition drove me crazy at 2100 RPM! I had the turn up the stereo to drown out the noise or get away from that RPM range.... which at 45mph in 3rd was impossible!

Old 01-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah should of asked us or atleast went to flowmasters website and browse all the mufflers they got to suit your taste 40 series is the loudest no doubt about it lots of drone and what not thats what i would like cause i like it loud.. even got sound clips there too

Glasspacks they will be even louder i think anyways

Old 01-11-2007, 04:18 PM
fordtruckowner
Senior User
Smile

Originally Posted by Dustin1690
Yeah should of asked us or atleast went to flowmasters website and browse all the mufflers they got to suit your taste 40 series is the loudest no doubt about it lots of drone and what not thats what i would like cause i like it loud.. even got sound clips there too

Glasspacks they will be even louder i think anyways
Yeah, I got impatient and jumped before looking. I actually went to the muffler shop to discuss a time to bring it in for the work and decide which muffler I wanted. When I got there, just my luck he had an open bay just waiting for me and he mainly deals FM and Glass Packs. He did not have 50s or some of the others that are a little softer so I went for it. Lesson learned again about getting excited and rushing into something headlong. Thats one of my weaknesses, when I decide I want it I want it yesterday. You would think after 43 years I'd learn.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:33 PM
the4by4freek
Posting Guru
I'm not 43 yet... only a few more years. One thing I have learned is this...... Research, research, research. If I want something, I want it yesterday also, but I have learned the hard way to research it out until I know it's gonna work and know what it is going to do. The internet makes it too easy to do this research!

Old 01-11-2007, 05:49 PM
texastechsun
New User
glad i could help fordtruckowner. sounds like you've got it l lined out now . let us know how it turns out

Old 01-11-2007, 06:30 PM
4DOORSR
Senior User
I don't have any drone with my 40 series Delta....In fact it's almost as quiet as stock. However I kept the stock piping.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:33 PM
SHAQ
New User
So does anyone recommend a system that doesn't drone(06 4.6 Screw)? Or has Ford given anyone a hard time in regards to warranty?
I had a Rhino catback system on my previous truck(Silverado) and it droned so bad at highway speed that its almost to the point of irritation. But did it ever sound good gettin' on it....!

Old 01-11-2007, 07:53 PM
fordtruckowner
Senior User
Thanks to all. I will report back tomorrow night with results of the new muffler and will get the brand name also.

FTO

Old 01-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Panzerbrumbar
Senior User
My 04 screw with a 5.4 I just had the muffler chopped out of there and they welded in a chunk of pipe then turned it down to the ground behind the rear axle. It sounds great everyone is surprised how well it sounds. I can hardly tell the difference at idle. Going down the road you hardly tell. I wanted it louder myself but that is just me. I am sure my neighbors would tell you a different story though.

Quick Reply: Bad exhaust decision