1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Garage Sound Proofing Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 05:04 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
It could be the local zoning code forbids a live music practice hall in your zoning. Worth a call to the zoning board. Noise complaints forced the closing of the Niagara Falls Dragstrip which only ran on Sunday afternoons, and the strip was parallel to and 1/4 mile away from the Air Force base's (very active) main runway!
There is a common statute that one cannot interfere with the "quiet enjoyment" of another's property by exceeding a specific Db level at the lot line. It has been used to outlaw leaf blowers, gas lawn mowers, mowing the lawn early in the morning etc.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Randy, that's a good idea. There may even be prior cases that a specialty lawer could site! Maybe there's hope. Thanks, Jag

Old 01-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Good point Ax. That's part of my problem. I live in such a quiet neighborhood, that the pounding really stands out. If I lived next to the airport I probably wouldn't even notice. I will look into the zoning laws too. A well crafted letter to them may get some ation. Jag

Old 01-10-2007, 05:40 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Jag Red 54
Good point Ax. That's part of my problem. I live in such a quiet neighborhood, that the pounding really stands out. If I lived next to the airport I probably wouldn't even notice. I will look into the zoning laws too. A well crafted letter to them may get some ation. Jag
If you are refering to the zoning people I'd be more inclined to call the head of the zoning department and explain the situation.
A well crafted letter to the neighbor should have a lawyers letterhead.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Gary E
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
first I would call code enforcement. Its the usual government phone call stuff nobody wants to do anything or knows who you are supposed to call but eventually you will get the right person. I had to do this in a track home subdivision where the neighbohr had roosters.

Second I would call the cops.

I would just ignore them and not talk to them at all and let other people deal with the situation (code enforcement and police)

I don't understand why you would have to disclose that you have crappy neighbors, they could move any time and are not an enironmental hazard I would get a less paranoid agent. but now is not the best time to sell in sactown anyway.

I really don't like putting up with inconsiderate people maybe thats why I live out in the country on 5 acres. I still have to put up with some people that don't keep their pets on their property, I just make it well know I will shoot any animal on my property (with a BB gun) so now its fun when their little rat dogs or goats come over

Old 01-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
There's a solution. Gary, do you want to sell me 2 acres. I don't have any animals and you could borrow tools anytime! Jag

Old 01-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Gary E
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Sounds good to me, you don't mind a couple of parts truck in the backyard do ya? Now we just have to talk the local authorities into zoning stuff smaller than ag 5.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jag Red 54
So, I would prob have to sell the house well below market to attract a buyer willing to suffer this noisy distraction.
Just sell it to somone like me!!! I am deaf when I remove my cochlear implant. I never wear it when I out working on vehicles. $6000 is too much to damage and get all greasy.

On a side note: How many of us live near other people, but beat, bang, grind, weld, (etc.) on our old trucks? We are the noisy neighbors. I don't see a problem with a set of drums.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:21 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
I know what you mean Brian, I have made my share of noise. But it has always been shortlived and I'm sure not as penetrating as these drums. I can be trying to watch TV or taking a nap even and the BOOM BOOM Crash comes right through sometimes for hours. I have had my mood soured on dozens of weekends and as stated above, the problem will prob only get worse as he trys to form a band.

Gary, for about ten years I have dreamed of having a smaller house (1200 sf) and a six car garage. So, you got it made man, no close neighbors and plenty of room to expand. Jag

Old 01-11-2007, 09:44 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian_B
On a side note: How many of us live near other people, but beat, bang, grind, weld, (etc.) on our old trucks? We are the noisy neighbors. I don't see a problem with a set of drums.
I used to live in a small town with older retired neighbors on both sides, one listened to classical music and the other opera at high volumes, but if I made a sound over a whisper after 9PM, here would come the cops. Didn't take me long to realize I had to move elsewhere. I now have 3 acres set off to myself and no neighbors within 1/4 miles.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:32 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,692 Likes on 1,492 Posts
Jag, I haven't read all the posts here but I just insulated the ceiling of an enclosed porch. I was going to rip out the old plaster and lath but my wife said, Why don;t you just blow insulation in?

I went to Lowes and bought teh loose insulation and rented a blower and hose. One bag of insulation covered 40 sq. ft at 6". It cost $8 somehting per bag. The blower was only $20 per day. You could cut holes in your drywall to stick the hose in and blow in insulation. They said 6" is a R19 rating! Don;t know where you live but it will keep it warmer inthe winter and cooler in the summer.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:27 AM
Bikewrench
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a friend that set up a recording studio. He said that the sheeting on each side of the walls cannot be physically attached to each other. If you are removing the inside sheeting, you can install studs between the existing ones but staggered to the inside about 1/2". Then insulate and install the sheeting on the new studs. That should stop the transfer of sound. I live out in the country on 35 acres. My nearest neighbor is a retired school teacher about 1/2 mile away. I had to run 4,100 feet of water line, 700 feet of gas line, 600 feet for phone, 350 feet of underground power and forget ever seeing cable. I have a monitored security and fire system. I used to live "in town". Wouldn't trade with anyone! I just step out my shop door when I need to pee!

Old 01-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Yea, I'm jealous of you guys with acreage. Someday maybe I can do it too if I ever hit the lottery.

Abe, I saw those machines at lowes. How big of a hole do you cut? Do you suppose that I would fill from the top of the wall? Is a hole at the bottom and the top of each section necessary? As long as I'm adding a layer of sheetrock I might as well insulate also for the temp improvement factor.

Thanks guys, Jag

Old 01-12-2007, 12:19 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Many places rent the blowers for free with the purchase of so many bags of insulation. Typically it requires a 2 or 3" hole, check on the blower before buying a hole saw. If there is no firestops you could just fill from the top or bottom, but it will be a better job if you do from both to be sure the bay fills. Fill from the bottom until it starts spilling out the top. Slap a piece of 1/8" hardboard over the holes with construction adhesive just to keep the insulation from falling out or getting damp. Watch for electrical wiring when drilling the holes. It's an easy albeit messy and dusty job.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
I'll check with Lowes and Home Depot. Thanks, Jag

Quick Reply: Garage Sound Proofing Suggestions