Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got'a Recall Notice, WooHoo!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 818 Likes on 576 Posts
Got'a Recall Notice, WooHoo!

Mother Ford cast a Big Brotherish net upon the information web and found that her wayward child, SCNDSIN has found a new home and sent me a letter requesting that I make an appointment to bring it in for some tender loving care.

Number & description is 05S28 - Speed Control System Modification which I belive is the famous "Burst into Flames in the Middle of the Night" problem that sooo much has been written. (Think I'll go pull a bat cable right now!)

My Question is after I hand the ever so happy "WhatCanWeDoForYouTodaySir?" Service Writer standing there with his/her clipboard my recall notice, What else should mention in the way of recalls, TSBs, or long term warranty repairs that may have fallen through cracks in the database. I know that OASIS has a lot of holes when it comes to remembering things that might cost Ford money if you don't know what to ask for or neglect to mention.

Ideas, suggestions? Truck info in sig. Thnx David

Old 01-05-2007, 05:38 PM
77 Bronco
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, just to let you know that anything other than a recall will not be payed for by Ford. I just took my '96 in for the very same recall. All they do is take the brakes witch out of the end of the brake master cylinder and put a new style in as well as a adapter wire that adapts the new sensor to the old wiring harness. Takes a couple minutes....sat and watched the mechanic do it. Eventhough they say it takes 20 minutes. You can check for any recalls here: http://www.ford.com/en/vehicles/owne...fault.htm#ford

Just go to the Ford section and enter your VIN#. Hope this info is of some help. Good luck.

P.S. I am keeping a very detailed documentation of my truck and I also save any and all parts that come off for any future owner, just incase that ever happens. But that is just me. I am trying to preserve the truck I have.

Sam

Old 01-05-2007, 06:25 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Thnx Sam. I'd done the recall search on that link & that was all that appeared. I also have the dreaded fuel tank transfer issue which I've been living with for a while. I thought I'd read somewhere here on site that it was a waranted repair regardless of mileage or age, but can't seem to frame a search query to bring up the info.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:37 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PM me with your VIN and I'll run an oasis for you.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:16 PM
cradar69
Junior User
Leave it to Ford to take 11yrs to find an issue with electrical problems. I have ran out and uplugged all electrical devices as well. I even went as far as putting the battery as far from the truck as I could. But in the same token at least they are still taking care of us long term customers.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:19 PM
77 Bronco
Senior User
Scndsin, I haven't heard of the fuel tank transfer issue. Could you relay me some info on this subject as I have a '96...but with no problems as of yet. Thanks.

Sam

Old 01-05-2007, 09:22 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Originally Posted by cradar69
Leave it to Ford to take 11yrs to find an issue with electrical problems. I have ran out and uplugged all electrical devices as well. I even went as far as putting the battery as far from the truck as I could. But in the same token at least they are still taking care of us long term customers.
All you need to do is disconnect the switch on the brake master cylinder. The problem starts when the switch starts leaking brake fluid internally. There is power to the switch at all times. When the fluid contacts the power---possible fire. Just unplugging it will do until you can get the harness, and if its leaking, a new switch.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:37 PM
lv2race
Laughing Gas
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
I had it done on the Expo. I pulled up to the service write-up bay, told the advisor what I needed, and it took me longer to fill out the paperwork than it took him to install the new harness. One thing I can say about Ford, of the few times I have been to the service department, I have NEVER had a bad experience and any warranty issue was taken care of promptly.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Sam, what I called the fuel transfer issue has been discussed under many other names but in my model years case I am under the impression that it stems from a sticking of the "shuttle valve" in the fuel module as opposed to a failure in the pump itself of a twin tank setup. I filled both tanks one day & drove about 3 miles home. When I got out of the truck, the smell of gas was horrible & I could hear a hissing noise behind the front fuel door. When I opened it up, It looked like a shook up bottle of coke with the lid not screwed on tight. Since then, I've run a couple of can of fuel system cleaner through it & don't fill the front tank all the way up.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:51 PM
lmooreF250
Junior User
Scndsin,
It is a problem in the fuel pump. In our trucks the fuel lines from the front and rear tanks are connected together with no shuttle valve and there is a check valve in each pump to stop the fuel from being pumped into the other tank. The switch only runs the front or rear pump and switches the level sensor. So the pump needs to be changed, did this on my 94 F-150 and it is fine now.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

So the problem valve is intregal to the pump & and not simply to the module of which the pump is only a part of? So when I finally open up the tank what I see won't be to diffrent from my 92 mustangs assy?

Wait a min, My bad I think I should have said Bypass Valve instead of shuttle which is on on earlier models as you described (?)

I have a manual on CD somewhere but it has disappeared into a black hole during a recent move & I can't look at a diagram.

Also this PM just got back from dealer parts counter with lovely new motorcraft Ignition lock cylinder to the tune of 70 odd dollaahhs' in sexy flat black instead of chrome. Matching Ford script keys thrown in for no charge. Dimensionaly the same but there has been some design change to the mechanicals. Hope it is more stable. Longer lasting than the original 140K+

At least the mechanic who does the recall work will be able to get it cranked when I take it in.

Last edited by Scndsin; 01-08-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:55 PM
lmooreF250
Junior User
Yes internal to the pump. I bought an aftermarket pump and put it in and it worked great. Pretty scary to see the gas coming out of the tank cap when it goes bad. My wife was driving the truck then and there was gas all over the driveway when it went bad. Sometimes you just gatta love Ford. But they still make the best trucks around and won't drive ANYTING else other than a Ford truck. The worst part for me to change tanks and/or pumps is the stupid lines. Getting them to release just sucks it seems just when you are about to give up they just come apart and you wonder what you just did to undo it. I'd rather take out a trans or engine than another fuel tank. Did my 92, my 94 and my brothers 94 so far.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:40 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
The check valves/shuttle valves are a part of the fuel delivery module, not the pump itself. A mustang pump won't work in a truck fuel delivery module, according to Justin (MustangGT221), who tried to run one in his truck.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:59 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

No, I didn't think they are the same or mean to suggest that I would try a mustang pump. Although I've got a couple old ones for side by side comparison when I get around to doing the job & possibly a lil' disection to see what makes it tick. Or in this case... puke.

Again, I wish I could find my CD to look at the "module" & its internal layout and the valve by any other name...

I've got lmoore saying pump...
EP saying module... Any other takers?

Old 01-09-2007, 06:43 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
I just had my bed off to replace a leaky gas tank. I had the fuel tank crossflow recall done a couple years ago. It appears that all they did was install two check valves on the fuel pump output lines (one on each pump). That tells me that the problem was the excess fuel from the selected tank was flowing IN the OUTPUT of the non-selected pump.

Jason

Quick Reply: Got'a Recall Notice, WooHoo!