1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Need advice on type of welder

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2001, 02:37 AM
drhist00
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-16-2001, 07:12 AM
cdwyer
New User

Just starting '53 F100 project and would like to hear your experience with welders.

I welded and brazed, many years ago with Oxy/Acet, but would like to consider stick or mig.

I need a welder to do frame and body work and have received conflicting advise.

Some people say a stick works best for heavier frame welling but is not as easy to use for body work. Others say a 120-130 amp mig will not give good frame welds, but is easier to use for body work because it casuses less heat distortion of body panels.

Do people still braze body panels?

Love to hear your recommendations.

Thanks
Chris

Old 07-16-2001, 08:15 AM
copeina
Senior User

What you have been hearing is all correct depending on the person doing the job.

My personal preference would be stick for heavy steel including frames, and mig all the way for body panels.

The stick gives you good penetration and fill capability, whereas the mig offers better control and tidier bodywork. If you can afford both machines, you will appreciate both. If you have to choose, you will have to decide if you do mainly heavy or light work and go from there.

Talk to your local Lincoln (or similar) sales rep. They can explain what their products are designed for.

I have used brazing on body panels, but the application was very specific.

Hope that helps a bit,
Kris Taylor
Winnipeg, Canada

Old 07-16-2001, 09:47 PM
dawalleye
New User

I too have a 53 F100 and am finishing up a project 52 F100 for my brother. I bought a 185 miller that is more than heavy enough for frame work(we put in a heidts musII slick as heck!) but will "calm down" for sheet metal with .023 wire. as with anything you cant just burn away on the thin stuff without warping the beejeeezus out of it but if you take your time it works just fine. The whole schmeer with bottle was just under 1100.00 so I thought that was a pretty good deal. Of course youll need oxy/ace to work the "oil cans" and such on the sheet metal as well. Methinks you just about got to have both...by the way what are your plans for the 53? dawalleye

Old 07-17-2001, 07:26 AM
cdwyer
New User

Actually we got a two for one deal when we bought the '53s
One truck is complete the other has been picked over...no rad and missing a driver's door, hood hinges and small parts.

Both cabs have corner rot and the floor pans are toast,
( Canadian Winters!!!) so are the boxes. Other than a few dings in the fenders they are not too bad.

One engine is free the other which may be a Merc is stuck
( it has Merc heads but haven't opened it yet)

My son plans to do a Ranger chassis swap a la Kris Taylor ( thanks for the pictures Kris!), I plan to do a frame up restoration over time.

I think I will purchase one welder and rent the other as required. Can you use a mig with flux core wire and not use shielding gas?

Thanks for your help... don't know which way I will go yet...probably stick since they are cheaper

Chris
Portland Ontario