Modular V10 (6.8l)  

exhaust ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 09:41 PM
ron86toy
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust ?'s

I am now a 1 week owner of a v10(absolutly love it).I have been pricing exhausts.......600.00 for a cat-back?WTF....I dont have that in a stainless exhaust from header to tip in my crawler.Like I said I am new to the v10 and I am not a cheap ***(even if I cant afford it),but I dont see where a cat-back is worth 600.00.
I guess I am asking if purchased is it worth the money?Or is it just putting out a different tone that I can get for a couple hundred at the muffler shop?
I know these trucks have a pretty distictive sound....not a flowmaster fan(mustang owners ruined that...no offence),always liked the sound of Borla's on my old big block Chevy.....they sound good on the v10?

Thanks

Old 12-18-2006, 09:51 PM
sewerat
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2005 4.6 f150 that i put a magnaflow on and liked the sound, i just put a flowmaster 40 on 2000 v10 and love the sound of it, it sounds as close to as i think can get a big ole block muscle car should sound. all i did was weld in the muffler maybe lost some performace but saved about $400 in doing so. Btw i did not like the sound of the flowmaster on the 4.6 it was too loud for me on it.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:29 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it were mine, I'd take it to a local shop and have a new Y-pipe and less restrictive muffler installed then spend the other $400 on fuel.

You'll have to decide for yourself on the sound issue. There are a lot of exhaust threads in this forum with links to clips of various systems. Find the one you like.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:04 AM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a Borla single 3" cat-back on my 1999 V10. It was just a little louder than stock. Gave it a littler "roar" over stock. The stock 3" tailpipe is just fine so really all you need to do is replace the muffler. Pick one that has 3" in/out and internal core. Dynomax, Magnaflow etc.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:51 AM
captchas
you will find the v10 responds better to a baffled muffler then a open core one. so as much as you may not like the name flowmaster in a 50 would be the way to fly.
and price wise 600 is about the av. brand wise the one to stay away from is mbrp they soind great on a diesel or a v8 but not on a v10 man you will kick your self if you do and more likely then not have it back off in days if not hours, thtas how loud and miserable it is INSIDE the cab.

i would do as v10man states . cut it off or better yet get some pipe and try a few mufflers till you find what you like then have a shop bend up a good system of pipes.

tis no v8 sound here man, it takes playing to get what you like and can handle the sound levels of.
good luck with the new to you ride man

Old 12-19-2006, 11:35 AM
FirstTimeFordGuy
Freshman User
Great advise here. I`m been to a local muffler shop askin about just re-doing a Y pipe for me, guy said bout $125. My question to all of this is, has anyone done a true dual exhaust? what about a crossover pipe? Is the whole idea behind all these aftermarket manu`s to get rid of the back pressure?? I would think some still needs to be there to maintain some good torque to the ground.....

Old 12-19-2006, 06:51 PM
ron86toy
Posting Guru
I am getting the Y pipe done next week and looking at mufflers...cant decide what way I am going there.Cant come up with a reason to buy a cat-back kit,that money can go elsewhere.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:22 PM
FirstTimeFordGuy
Freshman User
Just another question to all this. Where do the biggest gains from? headers over the stock exhaust manifolds, a good Y pipe over the T pipe, free flowing muffler over the stock muffler?

Old 12-20-2006, 04:11 AM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FirstTimeFordGuy
Just another question to all this. Where do the biggest gains from? headers over the stock exhaust manifolds, a good Y pipe over the T pipe, free flowing muffler over the stock muffler?
YES! If you don't want to spend the $ on headers then the last 2 would be best. Hedman has a V10 header/y-pipe kit out now that is reasonably priced. Thorley, Banks and Borla also have great kits.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:23 AM
lethalinjection
Junior User
Careful with mufflers and the v10.. They don't sound really anything like a v8 would with the same muffler. Most mufflers sound pretty crappy on these engines. A 50 series Flowmaster 3" in\out sounds really good and doesn't sound ANYTHING like a mustang. I have a 40 series 3"in dual 2.25" out and I had to put a 24" long 3" in\out glasspack where the cat was to make it sound good. Otherwise it's just raspy and poppy.. The glasspack does a good job of taking out the harsh sounds and the flow adds the bass. It didn't sound too bad behind the cat and was kinda quiet. "high flow cat situation" and 50 series 3" in\out sounds the best from what I've heard.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:25 AM
lethalinjection
Junior User
Those are turned down applications without tailpipes that I was referring to by the way. I imagine they would sound good with the tailpipe as well though. I'm not sure though, I've been considering putting a 50 series on mine with tailpipe and seeing how it sounds.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:55 PM
Trailblazed
Senior User
I just had my exhaust system done on my F250 V10. What I found to save alot of money was to buy the muffler from a local parts store such as Advance Auto Parts. I ended up going with the Flowmaster 40 series.. costed me $84.95 for the Dual Flowmaster Muffler.. 3 inch in 2.5 out. Yes, I got a discount on the muffler for $85 vs $104.

I then had the exhaust pipes custom done by a exhaust shop down the road from me. Only charged $187 installed.. and they did an AWESOME job! I then found a pair of stainless steel 45 degree rolled lip exhaust tips 18 inches long on ebay custom made for $45.. another really good deal!!

All and all, I save a ton of money doing it this way vs. just letting a exhaust shop such as Midas, Mieneke, ect do all the work for $550-600. YES, the exhaust system sounds REALLY MEAN when you get on it! My truck does have aftermarket headers, oversized cams, aftermarket cat., FIPK cold intake, tons of extra aftermarket parts to allow sufficant air flow... it sounds so nice. At idle, it sounds like a sleeper. It sounds just a bit above stock but when you shift through the gears, it sounds really mean.. Definely not a Mustang mean but a much different sound unlike any other truck.. Definely louder than a Mustang when you want it to be. I've heard alot of V10s with just the cat backs and they sound okay.. Mine sounds nothing like the others! Much nicer!

Old 12-20-2006, 09:16 PM
PerfectPools
Junior User
The only two mod's on my 05 350 are a K&N Aircharger and a Flowmaster 70 series. I went with the 70 due to capt and other's advice. I don't regret it a bit. It doesn't sound like my F150 5.4 with true duals, but it does have a nice deep tone - especially outside upon start up. It is now maturing (deepening?) with over 1000 miles on the muffler. The start up is always the best! Inside it is not too loud, but it does have a different, higher tone than a V8. There is absolutely no noticeable change in performance, but when I am pulling 10K+ lbs and climbing a steep hill . . . everything opens up and the big 10 sings a wonderful song!!

Don't set your expectations wrong, get a nice deep toned muffler (preferably one you can preview - but the folks here give good info) and you should be happy.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:25 PM
captchas
great to hear my spending and learning was able to help some one else. yes that 70 form flowmaster was the sounding on mine also.

just now i have to tune a mustang and flow master has it already made with a nice stainless tip already on it.
just need to wait till next year to see if the cash will be here.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:10 PM
FirstTimeFordGuy
Freshman User
Got my Y pipe re-done today. Local muffler guy cut the reduced section of the T pipe out and layed in non-reduced diameter pipe. It`s not what I wanted but it`ll do for now. Cost me $75. Only drove it 5 miles but it has made a little improvement. I also have a leaky right side exhaust manifold but no studs or nuts are broken. This guy (the local muffler guy) seems to think that my SD has stainless exhaust pipe.... Do they??? That is why he didn`t cut out as much as I wanted him to. Says why get rid of the stainless....

Quick Reply: exhaust ?'s