1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Sanford and Son

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 12:54 AM
lindaloumc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sanford Truck

Sorry for the confusion but I'm not certain this is correct, either. I shouldn't load a photo, instead, I should just post a link to the photo??
I'm going to try this. Someone please check to see if the photo pops up...
I know just about as much about Ford Trucks as I do the internet... which isn't a whole lot. I NEED HELP~! lol

Last edited by lindaloumc; 06-17-2006 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Stupidity on my part
Old 06-17-2006, 01:13 AM
Code3
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know if this helps, but here's some stuff from the web...

http://sonypictures.studiostore.com/...zTSSFS0007.jpg

http://www.pocketpcthemes.com/themes...ew/0/26080.jpg

Fred Sanford's Truck - Fred Sanford (Redd Foxx) and his son, Lamont (Demond Wilson) owned a junk and salvage yard in South Central Los Angeles in Watts on the sitcom SANFORD & SON/NBC/1972-77. To pick up and transport their wares the Sanford's used two trucks during the series. The first and most recognized was a faded-red 1952 Ford pickup. The second was a 1947 Mercury M-47.

Old 06-17-2006, 01:21 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by lindaloumc
http://www.msnusers.com/My Web Documents/Documents/Pictures

Sorry for the confusion but I'm not certain this is correct, either. I shouldn't load a photo, instead, I should just post a link to the photo??
I'm going to try this. Someone please check to see if the photo pops up...
I know just about as much about Ford Trucks as I do the internet... which isn't a whole lot.
Shoot, you know lots - now that you have found FTE any question you could ask will have several answers. One of them might even be correct!

The link should have worked, but it did not. Likely the folder "my web documents" is keyed to you, and the rest of us can not see what it contains.

I stand corrected, you posted the picture correctly, just that the link was no good!

Try this:

Browse to the picture you want to show us. Position the curser over that picture and right mouse click. A pop up window should appear, select "copy picture". Name the picture something you will remember, and let it download to the default folder, which should be "my pictures". This stores the picture on your computer. Remember where it is at.

Now do a post to FTE, attaching the picture to that post. Sometimes you have to "go advanced" to see this feature, sometimes it is a few lines below the box you type in. Press the "manage attachments" button. A pop up window should appear. Press the "Browse" button and you should see the file structure from your computer. Find the folder "my pictures", select the picture you just downloaded, and then press the upload button. This stores the picture on the FTE server.

When you send the post ("Submit Reply" button) your post will have the picture attached.

And, by the way, don't assume you did something wrong if things do not always work - Servers get crazy sometimes and do funny things. When you think you have done everything right and it still messes up, just wait a few minutes and try again. By then the server might be over its fit!

Old 06-17-2006, 01:37 AM
lindaloumc
New User
Unhappy

I give up tonight. I'm going to bed, will try to figure this out later. So, tell me, you never did see my picture??? I'm bummed.

Old 06-17-2006, 01:40 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by lindaloumc
I give up tonight. I'm going to bed, will try to figure this out later. So, tell me, you never did see my picture??? I'm bummed.
Sorry, I never did. Did anyone else?

Old 06-17-2006, 02:06 AM
Code3
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey sax, here's what you're looking for. I think the logos were the same on both the Merc, and the Ford.
http://www.thephatphree.com/_photos/50rides/46.jpg

Old 06-17-2006, 03:49 PM
restoringmy46
Elder User
Go to Internet Movie Car Data Base or IMCDB and you can find any car or years of cars and trucks you want to look at. Just type in what year you want to look at and it will take you there. I tried it and they have a few of the 51 ford truck used on the Sanford and son show. Scott

Old 06-17-2006, 07:04 PM
lindaloumc
New User
Sanford and Son Truck

Contrary to popular belief, there was only ONE 1951 Ford truck used on the Sanford and Son set. I've been trying to post a photo of the door, but I've been unsuccessful. I'll try again now.

Now, dang it, I can't stand it!!! The picture of the truck, along with everything I know about Sanford and Son, is at : http://home.earthlink.net/~clevenger59/

The only thing I ask is that you don't ask me if you can buy it. It's NOT for sale!! I mean, I'm a nice person and all, so that sounds kind of rude. I love to show people the truck, I love the oohs and ahhs, so please take a look. Linda.

Last edited by lindaloumc; 06-17-2006 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:16 PM
redlightning
Senior User
Linda,I could not get that link to work.I post photos on www.photobucket.com It is pretty easy to do there.

Old 06-17-2006, 07:20 PM
lindaloumc
New User
Are you serious??? I swear, look at my posts, I have been trying for almost 36 hours to post that lousy picture. I am an intelligent person with a high IQ but I can't figure out how to post a stupid picture? I feel like an idiot. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks.

Old 06-17-2006, 07:32 PM
lindaloumc
New User
Stupid stupid Sanford Truck at last

Can you see this???? I'm about to have a stroke.

Old 06-17-2006, 07:40 PM
redlightning
Senior User
Yes,It shows the door.

Old 06-17-2006, 07:44 PM
JDMick
Senior User
This thread was almost five years old until Linda resurrected it. That's got to be close to a record.

Old 06-17-2006, 07:59 PM
lindaloumc
New User
Hey, if I have to post another picture of the truck, it may be another five years!! My lord, that was a pain in the keester. I did attempt to post another one but it gave me a message about posting too many photos, or maybe it was too large, or some dumb thing. So maybe tomorrow, I can take a hack at that. And speaking of that... I wonder... Did the guy who originally wanted the picture of the door, five years ago, ever get his truck painted like that???

Last edited by lindaloumc; 06-17-2006 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:14 PM
lindaloumc
New User
The whole story

This is the ACTUAL SANFORD AND SON TRUCK from the NBC television show, 1972-77.

About the show:Fred Sanford (Redd Foxx) and his son, Lamont(Demond Wilson) owned a junk and salvage yard in South Central Los Angeles in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><st1:City w:st=[/img]SALE</st1:City></st1[img] /><st1:City w:st=[/img]<st1:place w:st=" /><st1:place w:st="on">Watts</st1:place> on the sitcom SANFORD & SON/NBC/1972-77. To pick up and transport their wares the Sanford's used two trucks during the series. The first and most recognized was a faded-red 1951 Ford pickup. The second was a 1947 Mercury M-47. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>Redd Foxx was born John Elroy Sanford was born i in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">St. Louis</st1:place></st1:City> on December 9, 1922. With a ruddy complexion, “Redd” became a fast nickname. He derived Foxx from admirable Major League Baseball player, Jimmie Foxx.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>Here’s the history of how I happened upon the truck.In 1977, Toy Production (a company owned by the associate producer Norman C. Hopps) sold the truck at the annual KCET Auction. KCET Auction is a Public Television station, serving Southern and <st1:place w:st="on">Central California</st1:place> for over 40 years. Proceeds from their auctions support KCET's programming. Frank R. Miller of <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Santa Barbara</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">CA</st1:State></st1:place> bought the truck.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>In 1978, Mr. Miller wrote a letter of inquiry to Mr. Hopps and, in response, Mr. Hopps, wrote a letter on Toy Production stationery to Mr. Miller. <o:p></o:p>

In the letter, he wrote, Yes, it is the authentic, original, one and only “Sanford and Son” truck.”<o:p></o:p>

“When we complete the series, I talked to the people connected with the (<st1:place w:st="on">Hollywood</st1:place>) Wax Museum and asked if they would be interested in the truck. The answer came back that if we would pay the shipping to <st1:State w:st="on">Florida</st1:State>, that the (<st1:City w:st="on">Kissimmee</st1:City>) <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Florida</st1:place></st1:State> branch of the museum would mostly likely accept same. I didn’t like the offer so we decided to hang-on to the truck.<o:p></o:p>

“About June orJuly of last year, with approval from my company, I contacted the KCET Auction Department regarding the possibility of donating the <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Sanford</st1:place></st1:City> truck for their forthcoming auction. And needless to say, they were delighted.<o:p></o:p>

“After many telephone calls and follow-up letters, we finally concluded the transfer of the truck to KCET.<o:p></o:p>

I am delighted your family ended up with “the truck” as your enthusiasm, and that of your family, comes through in the letter.<o:p></o:p>

“I contacted our press department and asked for a picture, per your request. The lady in charge picked one and had it printed per the attached. I’m sorry that it doesn’t show more of the vehicle, but as you indicated in your letter, you can always watch your “new” truck on TV as long as they’re re-running “Sanford and Son.”<o:p></o:p>

Please give the truck our regards from the “Sanford and Son” production staff.”<o:p></o:p>

“Sincerely,<o:p></o:p>

Norman C. Hopps<o:p></o:p>

Associate Producer”<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>About Norman C. Hopps: You can Google his name and verify that he was the associate producer of “Sanford and Son.”<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>About Frank Miller: Mr. Miller told me he bought the truck so his children would have something to drive but they quickly refused the offer.While he owned the truck, NBC leased it back from him twice for the Sanford and Son spin-offs “Grady” and “<st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Sanford</st1:place></st1:City>,” paying him more than he paid for the truck originally.“It’s the only vehicle I’ve ever owned that made me money,” Mr. Miller said. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>While the truck was in the studio’s possession for the second or third time, Mr. Miller said they re-painted the doors of the truck, leaving off the black paint that was behind the white letters that spelled “Sanford and Son Salvage.” <o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>Miller kept the truck for four or five years, he said.He took it to an <st1:City w:st="on">Anaheim</st1:City> auction house, where a <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Las Vegas</st1:place></st1:City> “collector” bought it. Did the <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Las Vegas</st1:place></st1:City> collector buy it on behalf of Foxx?(Unknown answer).<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>In the late 1980's the IRS seized most of what Redd Foxx owned because of back taxes. Foxx was a resident of <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Las Vegas</st1:place></st1:City>.A friend of ours swears he remembers that when he was in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Las Vegas</st1:place></st1:City>, he saw the truck parked in the drive way of Redd Foxx’s home. Redd Foxx lived in <st1:City w:st="on">Las Vegas</st1:City> from 1978 (after “Sanford and Son” had been cancelled) until his death in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Los Angeles</st1:place></st1:City> in 1991. <o:p></o:p>
The title we have for the truck shows in 1987, it belonged to William Mills of <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Las Vegas</st1:City></st1:place>. In 1988 a friend of mine in <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Indiana</st1:place></st1:State> bought it from William Mills.

Between the time when Mr. Miller owned it and my friend purchased it, someone painted over the famous logo and even painted “Wonder” on one door.We have since re-painted the doors to the way they were when Sanford and Son was on the air, with the black “cloud” behind the white lettering.<o:p></o:p>

Quick Reply: Sanford and Son