Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Rich Condition

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 06:04 PM
fr87hn
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Rich Condition

Hey guys, long time no talk. anyways, heres my problem. A while back my cats started smelling bad. Instead of replace i just put straight pipes on. Now i have to find cats to put back on for inspection. But if i put new ones on. the richness of the engine will destroy them. I had my mechanic at my work run codes and the only one that came up was passenger side bank running rich. Is there any common problems that cause just one side to run rich?

Old 12-06-2006, 06:09 PM
fr87hn
Junior User
other problems that possibly might be related, Very bad acceleration and bad pickup on the highway. about 6-8 mpg with the 351. I did all the math and it came out to around 7.5 or something around there. the pipe on the passenger side sounds different and less healthy than the driver side

Old 12-06-2006, 06:33 PM
Tdvjensen
Senior User
Look into replacing plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor. If the plugs arent firing properly, then un burnt gas will be sent down the pipes and affect the o2 sensor and register a code. Other things to look at are the general condition of the motor if you are talking about one side running poorly. It is also possible that you have a leaky or stuck injector/injectors that is loosing gas to one cylinder or more on that side of the motor. Try checking fuel pressure after the truck has shut off, and look for a pressure loss in the first 15 minutes. If you have more than about 5 psi then the fuel is going somewhere, the question is just where. Good luck

Last edited by Tdvjensen; 12-06-2006 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:58 PM
fr87hn
Junior User
i changed the plugs wires cap and rotor a while back and it didnt improve anything. Could it be the o2 sensor causing the car to run rich on one side? also, is it a hard job to check the injectors or fuel pressure?

Old 12-10-2006, 03:49 PM
Tdvjensen
Senior User
Fuel pressure is easy to check with a fuel pressure gauge. They can be rented at some parts stores, and can also be purchased. There is a shrader valve on the driverside fuel rail that it screws onto. Attach the guage, pressure up the system by turning on the key and then watch the gauge for a pressure loss.

Old 12-10-2006, 05:14 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What year is it? If it's older than a 96 then you only have ONE oxygen sensor and it's probably toast from the rich condition. It sounds like it's trying to flood itslef, pull the vacuum line off of the FPR (I'm sure it;s already been said but it's an easy check) and see if fuel squirts out when you have a buddy turn the key on. If so the FPR need to be replaced. Then you can check the fuel pressure. Also check the timing if it's way retarded it can also cause those symptoms.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:44 PM
fr87hn
Junior User
Hey guys, well i brought it to the mechanic in my town who is supposedly good. Well, i told him how it was running rich on one side and also for him to check my heat because it doesnt come out hot.. Well i asked him to check the blend door and he said no it wouldnt be that so he replaced the thermostat... didnt fix the heat at all... and he also replaced the o2 sensor and also some sort of solenoid which was like 25$. it doesnt seem to get any better gas mileage at all, not really any better acceleration at all either. The one good thing is that at least both exaust pipes have the same sound now when the trucks running. And the check engine light still comes on and off intermittently. He told me that wouldnt come on also ... any idea what i should do? because i dont want to put my catalytic converter back on if its still running rich