Sponsored by: DP Tuner

power pup motor sounds rough

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 10:14 PM
vw8uup
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power pup motor sounds rough

just installed the power pup on my early 99, goes like stink but on the performance and extreme setting the motor has a cackle noise when you really put your foot into it not the smooth sound but a rough pinging sound,is this normal or is there something i can do to smooth it out.....already have the big k&n cold air kit

Old 12-03-2006, 10:42 PM
yellow401
Elder User
Yeah, I know PRECISELY what you are saying! I had the bully dog power pup, and on the highest setting, at WOT the motor will ping and rattle like it is almost over-reving. It always bothered me, and I was never able to fix it. I think it has something to do w/ possibly poor timing, but it did not sound good. I know you love it, and don't want to be pess., but go w/ a DP Tuner, as I did, and not only will the noise go away, but you'll get much better programming, including tranny, as well as double the power. I will out run the bully dog high setting with the DP 80HP settting, gauranteed.
Been there done that, so just trying to give honest opinion. Hope it helps!

Old 12-04-2006, 07:58 PM
vw8uup
New User
ok thanks for the reply guess i made the wrong impulse buy...lol.....lesson learned...check here first....thanks

Old 12-04-2006, 08:06 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Another vote for a DP tune...incredible(i have the 80hp econo)!

Old 12-04-2006, 08:43 PM
yellow401
Elder User
Originally Posted by vw8uup
ok thanks for the reply guess i made the wrong impulse buy...lol.....lesson learned...check here first....thanks
Yeah, I made the wrong mistake myself! Now that you have FTE, do a lot of searching and asking questions before your next mod, as you can make the best choice the first time! I kept my power pup for a code reader, but I now use my Auto Enginuity (Laptop Engine Analysis Software tool) so it' again useless! At least a DP Tuner gives you something to look forward to- even more power than what you have now! Never a bad thing!