4.2 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 04:03 PM
BlueOvalfan85
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.2 Questions

Hey! It has been a while since I posted on here.

When I popped the hood to disconnect the battery in order to work on the starter, I noticed that the coolant was about one inch below the cold mark on the tank. When I bought the truck 2 years ago, it was right at the cold mark.

Does this mean the engine is using coolant? I ignored it until now due to all the posts of blown 4.2's and bad gaskets. I'll ask the dealer if he replaced all the gaskets in it. What should I do if he says he didn't?

Thanks!

Old 12-04-2006, 02:50 PM
dave9876
New User
What color is the coolant first off. If it looks like oil is in there than yes your head gasket is gone. It could just be caused from from a crack in a hose are something minor like that(these is what i think). What year and how many miles plz.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:24 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation

Do a UOA (used oil analysis).If there is any trace of coolant in the oil this test will determine it.Even if the lower intake gaskets are leaking very small amounts into any cylinder it will get by the rings and into the oil. A UOA will catch it! I know;I had one done on mine!
BTW,only do this if you can't find any external leaks!

Old 12-04-2006, 11:36 PM
BlueOvalfan85
Senior User
The coolant is bright green. It's a 97 F150 4x4 and it is just about to turn 92K. Every time I change the oil in it, I check it for anything that is bad. It doesn't smell like coolant and when it drains, it comes out amber to dark brown.

I'll do the UOA at the next oil change.

Thanks!

Old 12-06-2006, 02:49 PM
dave9876
New User
You probably just have a crack in one of your coolant lines. i wouldnt worry about it just keep an eye for it. if its draining out realy quick tho you need to be more concered and locate the hole and repair or replace it.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:39 AM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
"I'll ask the dealer if he replaced all the gaskets in it. What should I do if he says he didn't?"

Im curious about this question. Did you purchase it on the premise that he had just overhauled the engine? If so then yes, they should have replaced all the gasgets. If you just assumed they replaced all the gasgets just for the hell of it, I am sure you will be disappointed.

Old 12-10-2006, 11:43 AM
BlueOvalfan85
Senior User
Homer, the dealer only did a partial rebuild on the motor due to a bad crank and bad rod and journal bearings. I don't know how it happened-it just did! He replaced all of them free of charge. I remember him saying he had replaced the timing cover gasket, but I don't think he said anything about the intake and head gaskets.

I bought the truck before it happened.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:20 PM
javi2001
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlueOvalfan85
... I noticed that the coolant was about one inch below the cold mark on the tank. When I bought the truck 2 years ago, it was right at the cold mark. Does this mean the engine is using coolant?
Thanks!
Remember on that years, coolan was basically Ethylene-Glycol, it can evaporated as any alcohol and coolant tank is just a expansion deposit, not totally sealed.

Maybe it was just evaporated...

Perform a CS-CT "Cold Start - Coolant Test",
1º have the engine totally cleaned and dryed
2º let it get ambient temp.
3º start it and keep an eye around all hoses, A/C heater, water pump, head gasket, etc, looking for any leaks.

This should be done at least during 10 continuous minutes, if no leaks are evident, then at least there are no external leaks.