1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Another Fuel Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 10:20 PM
79F150EFI
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Fuel Leak

Now that I have went through and rebuilt the entire fuel system in the valley with all new parts (even the water seperator since it was cracked), I thought that my fuel leaks were solved. Well, not really.

I have fuel leaking out the rear passenger side of the engine. It appears to be coming from the head area, but I can tell where. It is leaking directly on top of the exhaust manifold, then on the bellhousing. Since it is leaking on the exhaust manifold and running down it, the truck is once again down because of this fire hazard.

I know that the head drain plugs are back in that area, but I felt around and I can't find them. Can someone get my a picture, diagram, or something on where these are located? It seems to be coming right from where I think they would be.

Is there anything else that it could be besides these drain plugs?

Old 12-03-2006, 05:29 PM
79F150EFI
Senior User
Well, I found out a little more information today. The diesel leak appears to be coming from the exhaust manifold, as in diesel is leaking inside the manifold and then seeping between the gap of where the manifold and pipe to the turbo meet. I am thinking that it must be something else because I don't think this is really possible, especially considering I don't have any exhaust leaks that I can find. I am going to try next to pull the pipe from the manifold to the turbo to see if it really is leaking from there.

That butterfly oil fed solenoid on the back of the turbo is leaking...diesel. It has always dripped a couple of drops of oil here and there but now it is dripping diesel instead.

I seem to be full of weird problems. Any help/advice is appreciated.

Old 12-10-2006, 07:22 PM
secondjohn
New User
Did you pull that pipe and/or find the source of the fuel. Your problem sounds a lot like what I'm going through, except mine's on the driver's side. My next step is to pull the manifold to turbo pipe and see what's underneath.

John

Old 12-10-2006, 09:06 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
how does the oil in the crankcase look?

Old 12-11-2006, 04:51 AM
Rowdyone
Senior User
Originally Posted by 79F150EFI
Well, I found out a little more information today. The diesel leak appears to be coming from the exhaust manifold, as in diesel is leaking inside the manifold and then seeping between the gap of where the manifold and pipe to the turbo meet. I am thinking that it must be something else because I don't think this is really possible, especially considering I don't have any exhaust leaks that I can find. I am going to try next to pull the pipe from the manifold to the turbo to see if it really is leaking from there.

That butterfly oil fed solenoid on the back of the turbo is leaking...diesel. It has always dripped a couple of drops of oil here and there but now it is dripping diesel instead.

I seem to be full of weird problems. Any help/advice is appreciated.
Dude, now I am no expert at diesel motors or even close, but I have a few questions here that might help you figure this out. First thing I would want to know is just how well does the motor run right now with this leak???

I ask this because, I could see how the exhaust could be leaking the raw fuel there somewhat if you had a fuel injector leaking straight into the cylinder and all the fuel not being burned. The raw fuel could be just puked out through the manifold and you could be seeing the leaks or wet looks on the manifold... I would think though if this the case, your PSD would not be running good at all really as you would be down at least one cylinder to do this to this extreme...

The other thing here with all the fuel leaks you been dealing with, you think these could be from the new S15 ULSD fuel we have been forced to use now??? I have read that there would be some select motor groups of older motors that would see some issues from the low sulfer fuels...

Old 12-17-2006, 02:10 PM
79F150EFI
Senior User
The engine ran great, just like it did before I put the injectors in. Notice the past tense.

While trying figure out the leak, it logged a few hours of idling. I ended up popping out my rear injector and found a bad o-ring. Replaced it and now it doesn't leak diesel anymore. That problem is solved.

However, upon restarting it ran fine for about 20 seconds, acted like it hydrolocked (just shook the entire engine, like motor mount breaking shaking), blew a huge cloud of white smoke, then continued to idle normally. It did this repeatedly after about 20 seconds. I, of course, shut it off and pulled the rear injector again. This time I took it apart since that entire cylinder was full of diesel.

The lift spacer between the needle and nozzle spring was broken into three pieces and the dowel pins between the nozzle tip and spacer sleeve were sheared off. Obviously this is the problem and is very bad. I think this was the problem all along as I rebuilt this injector really late one night in a hurry to finally get this done and I probably screwed up putting it back together. With the blown o-ring on this injector, it didn't receive much fuel. Once it started receiving fuel, it just started dumping fuel through the broken lift spacer. At least this is my theory.

Does anyone know where I can get these two parts? I am going to call DIY-injectors tomorrow. I really hope they can get them. Once I get this fixed, I should be on my way. This has been a big ordeal from the beginning when it should have been pretty simple. I don't want to have to buy a new injector just to get these parts, so any help is appreciated. I hope it was just put together wrong (although it came apart fine except for the broken pieces) and there isn't a hidden cause.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:07 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try Beans Diesel Performance; 615-563-7800 or 7801 Great bunch of guys, I'm sure they can help you.