Paging Freightrain !!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 05:43 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paging Freightrain !!

Hey Larry, ProGram still hasnt got back to me with the Poop sheet on the Crossbolt Main caps for my CJ..they say any day now?? Dont hold your breath! LOL..

What bump stick are you running in your TW motor in the Race car? and whats the RPM range of it?

I had one I made up for a Cam Grinder to make..and I'll be go to hell if I can remember where I put the info? CRS!! Bud your days a commin...LOL

Thanks Larry,

RJ

AKA-Russ

Old 11-30-2006, 08:08 AM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do like the artist where I worked some years ago. Create one folder, through everything in it.... LMAO.. at least you know where to start looking. hahahahha

Old 11-30-2006, 09:50 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, need to dig up the sheet. I think it was 260/270 @50 and .630 lift? I got the whole build folder at home...so I'll get it for you tonight.

Sure glad you gave me a heads up...........I was really starting to turn BLUE

No biggie......

It's "LETS TEAR DOWN" night!! Got motor out Sunday. Put'n it on the stand tonight and getting it into pieces for delivery to shop on Sat.

Last edited by Freightrain; 11-30-2006 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:41 PM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Yeah I have got to set down one weekend and go thru all the build sheets and cam cards, Flow bench charts, valve grind charts etc...and get em all in one place instead of all over the Radio "Ham" shack...LOL...

And larry as soon as it come's in from ProGram I'll shoot one too ya bud! Thanks Larry!!

I wonder if Glenn ever made it down south again? Glenn if you made it chime in..I
might have too go north and baby sit his new 427 block??

RJ

Old 11-30-2006, 07:57 PM
FFR428
Needsmorecoffee.

Yep back down here!! LOL

I go back to CT next week for good. I'm not sure when the block will be here?? Christmas??? I've got plenty of home renovation to keep me busy in the meantime while I look for a job. I guess I need a vacation anyway?? The wife has quite a honey do list for me...

G.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:43 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Ok...right from the Crower sheet:
260/270 @ 05 (312/318 advertised)
.639 in/.635 ex
108 centerline, install at 104

intake open 26* btdc, closes 54* abdc
Ex opens 67* bbdc, closes 23* atdc

heads flowed: int 285 @ .600 peak of 288 @ .700 (2.150 dia)
ex 204 @ .600 peak of 212 @ .700 (1.655 dia)

You can run that thru DD and see what it gets ya.

Got the motor pulled apart. Things looked great, til I got the mains off. The bottom halfs are really wiped! Never had that problem in all the years. I think it's cause we switched to 1/2 grooved bearings(no groove on bottom for better contact area). I think this hurt more then helped. I think the lack of extra oil actually let it wiped bearing? Not ready to spin them, but surely are "tweaked" some. Not a tight fit on crank anymore, like when new. Oil pressure was always 100 psi thru the lights, so it must not have a major issue but certainly going back to old brearing set up.

Last edited by Freightrain; 11-30-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:18 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Well let me address two things here!! LOL..

Glenn I called Jim for 2 days and know answer? So I went by his brothers work (Police Station) Ha !! Those places give me the creeps!! LOL...Anyway Mark said his brother was up in Canada buying some more cars and would be gone for 2 weeks, and he said the galaxie was sold...It was at his house..and he had changed all the fuel system as I had told you he was..So he took it to the gas station to get some gas..and a guy pulled in ,looked at it sitting at the pumps...asked if it was a stick car or if the tranny was just slipping? Mark said it was a 4 speed car..The guy ask if it was for sale? And Mark told him he believed the car was sold...So he called Jim.. Jim asked Mark what would the guy offer? Mark asked the guy..He said he would go 6K for it...So Jim sold it over the phone! Sorry Bud ! We'll have to start looking for another mule for ya !!

But not all is gone...as I have been keeping an eye out for you if the Gal didnt go thru? I know where there's a 66 fairlane...I have been working on this guy for about 4 years now, trying to get this one....It was originally an FE car..and somewhere in it life it went 302 powered? the body is super straight..and has just plane white paint, its a bucket seat car with console...Interior need attention bad... The guy that has it put it together for his daughter..needless to say she let her boyfriend drive it..and he broke the motor? I taked to the owner and he said he daughter wants him to fix it!

He doesnt want to and wont..But he wont get rid of it until she graduates this spring..as it sits in his yard as a reminder to her every time she come home..and is now taking the school bus!

RJ

Old 12-01-2006, 04:47 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Larry that cam has got some duration to it!! whats that dude idle at about 1200 rpm? I think my last 308 dur. cam idled just over 1100rpm's....

Well its good to know that you found the weekest link in your build before something crazy happened....sounds like it was close tho? But you wold think the bearing not having a groove would have more oil film area...but obiviously the grove bearing holds the crank better, I guess the groove that holds the oil works well then! are they Federal Race type bearings? Or the Speed Pro Grooved race bearings?

When the bottom end goes back together in the CJ motor..I'am going to try the Speed pro grooved at $80 a set and see how they do..Any comments on those bearings? Suggestions? I have run the non grooved in the past..But didnt quite beat on the motor as bad as you do on yours! Plus being in the altered...the bearings were checked about once a month too..

Maybe today will be the day ProGrams get my paper in the mail? and thank god you didnt keep holding your breath!! LOL... You wouldnt look good with a blue Face ans a Black beard!! LOL

RJ

Old 12-01-2006, 05:08 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Ok...right from the Crower sheet:
260/270 @ 05 (312/318 advertised)
.639 in/.635 ex
108 centerline, install at 104

intake open 26* btdc, closes 54* abdc
Ex opens 67* bbdc, closes 23* atdc

heads flowed: int 285 @ .600 peak of 288 @ .700 (2.150 dia)
ex 204 @ .600 peak of 212 @ .700 (1.655 dia)

OK Larry just a ballpark on the DD2, I'll run it later today on the EA3..
I do know your losing about 50hp not having the heads ported, send em up to Las schamader for $500 and he's get about 310-315 out of them with a hand port!

But here's what the DD2 came up with?

558lbs of TQ @ 5000rpm
586hp @ 6500 rpm

And with the heads cleaned up and some pocket porting and short turn work all done by hand....CNC gets much more!

575lbs of TQ @ 5000rpm
625hp @ 6500rpm..

All subject to re-running on the EA3 for verification!

RJ

Old 12-01-2006, 06:13 AM
FFR428
Needsmorecoffee.

I like that cam!!

Well too bad on thw Gal. I snoozed to long. I was looking at Mustangs and that fastback went for $11K. Cool on the Fairlane tho..it sounds nice.

Well thanks for the help bud....it much appreciated.

G.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:40 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Well G, we'll find you something for a Mule.. preferably something that has or had an FE in it..to cut down on the mods!! I'll keep looking....there's always something! LOL..

RJ

Old 12-01-2006, 08:18 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Ya, the ol mech tach starts at 1K, so it just jumps around right on it, and up a bit. I think with some carb tuning I could get it to drop some. Box stock 600's aren't the best, but who cares about idle?? WOT is all I care about.

The heads were rolled, squared, and gasket matched. I suppose I could improve them, but then again...MORE MONEY LOL!! Kinda missing that part of the equation.

I'll find out which bearings I had Sat when I drop the stuff off. I'm thinking we switched to half groove to give support, but the I think the lack of oil into the bottom half let it pound on it pretty hard. The full groove allowed more oil/film and worked better actually. Don't need more surface, just more oil for the surface. The rods looked brand NEW though!!! Give the block a clean up, deglaze the cylinders, new rings, time for new rod bolts and a crank, plus do a clean up on the valve job(check springs-bout time for new ones).

Thanks for the dyno info. Kinda goes right in line with mph numbers and the ol Mororso hp slide rule chart(remember those-the original desktop dyno).

Looking for a Galaxie are ya? Well, heck, I got one for ya...comes with big ol blown 390 and a 4 spd, 31 spline Moser axles. Make ya a heck of a deal

Last edited by Freightrain; 12-01-2006 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:48 PM
hatemakings/n
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If someone was looking for a galaxie I know where one is with 390 2 bbl carb. Auto for only 1500. Runs but over heats need radiator rodded.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:08 PM
FFR428
Needsmorecoffee.

Well Larry if your serious shoot me a pm with some detail and what your lookin to get.

h/m let me know the year of the Gal and where it is.

thanks guys!!!

Russ what info on the pro-gram caps are ys lookin for there son???

G.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:19 PM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

LOL.. Son? Son? LMAO!! ProGram has a poop sheet for Machinist on how they go about having the giys who install the caps...So there right..There supposed to send it to me? But it hasnt come in the mail yet?

And it been 4 days now since I made my call to em...So I'll see if it makes it by monday and if not..I'll cal and raise cane!

I talked to Les today...about the 390/428 edheads...320cfm is all he can get out of them on a Hand port..he doesnt do CNC...but he only charges $500 also?

So thats going to limit the hp to about 600hp? LOL.. Oh well... on to the big build!

Oh yeah Larry's 63 is fine!!! Real fine!! I would love to own it!!

RJ

Quick Reply: Paging Freightrain !!