1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xm radio antenna

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 07:21 PM
CounterMaker
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xm radio antenna

i know this doesnt have much to do with superduties but im running my antenna wire and i ran it through that little hook thing under the power point, behind the fuse box and up the door through the weather seal and underneath the windshield trim .. seal thing...anyways when the wire comes out it causes the weater trim seal around the windshied to come up a little bit....will this cause a water problem or is the the windshield seal below that trim?

Old 11-28-2006, 08:02 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd think water might get in there, I have mine temp. run between the door and the weatherstripping and when it rains, i get water dripping in

Old 11-28-2006, 08:42 PM
primadude
Freshman User
I just had mine installed and the antenna is also through the weatherstripping on the drivers side up on the roof. I'll let you know the next time it rains and if it leaks or not.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:52 PM
CounterMaker
Posting Guru
thank you...i think i may just put a couple drops of silicone under it

Old 11-28-2006, 08:55 PM
mckeelandscaping
New User
I just installed mine on the top of the dashboard, in the center, towards the windshield. My buddy told me he did it on his F150 and it worked fine. I liked the idea of not having that stupid antenna scratching the paint on my new truck. I didn't care on my old F150. So far it is working just fine there. Give it a try, it beats fishing that wire though your weather stripping too.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:25 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
i also ran mine up through the windshield seal, and i live in a VERY rainy place.... but i didnt seem to get any leaks. however, i did get aweful reception. i installed one exactly the same on my wifes xterra, and hers works great. do you think i am getting some interference from something, or that i just maybe have a bad antenna? what are your thoughts? thanks in advance !!

Old 11-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Bear Hunter
Posting Guru
On my last truck, I had the antenna mounted as shown below. I never had an issue with reception even going through underpasses. It's held in place with velcro. No wires visable anywhere.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:07 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
bearhunter, thanks for that idea... i will try to re-route the wire and see how it works. i like the idea though, kepps it real clean, and eliminates any chance of a leak !!

Old 11-29-2006, 04:24 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally, I used a Metra adhesive-mount antenna (helps to be a dealer...) and mounted it just ahead of the third brake light. The wire runs through a notch in the brake light (sealed with a small bead of black RTV) and down the C-pillar, to the XM unit mounted behind the rear seats (Pioneer 7800 head with integrated XM).

I did something similar with my '01 Expedition and it worked great.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:00 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
I ran mine under the plastic kick plates that cover the gap between the carpet and the body as you get in the truck. Heck, I run all kinds of stuff under them. I ran it up the rear driver side pillar plastic and out the edge of the door frame.

Question- does anyone have interference issues? Mine get's a lot of static that goes away when I touch my hand to the top of the unit, almost like I give it an electro-static ground or something. If I put a bag of Red Man (silver foil lined) on top of it, it solves the problem, but looks stupid. Any suggestions?

Old 11-29-2006, 11:17 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mongo - I suspect you're using a Roady or other type of FM-modulated unit? If so, touching your hand/applying the Red Man bag is changing the characteristics of the "antenna" inside. Your best bet would be to go to something that's direct-wire - get one of the PIE adapters for an aux input, etc. Then, there won't be a reason for the static.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:34 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Cool, I guess I gotta buy the inline thing-a-magig they sell. I do have the roady, and while I like it, this static is a real pain. Also in southern California, it can get real hard to get a clear station.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:27 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
Originally Posted by CounterMaker
i know this doesnt have much to do with superduties but im running my antenna wire and i ran it through that little hook thing under the power point, behind the fuse box and up the door through the weather seal and underneath the windshield trim .. seal thing...anyways when the wire comes out it causes the weater trim seal around the windshied to come up a little bit....will this cause a water problem or is the the windshield seal below that trim?
I've had mine done this way for the past 9 months with no issue so far. The only time I'd be worried is if I have to have the windsheild replaced. The repair places never get it sealed as well as the factory. If that day comes, I may do it like BearHunter did. Not going to change it now since it took me a month to get off my a$$ and do it the first time. lol

Old 11-29-2006, 03:44 PM
CounterMaker
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 6L PWR
I've had mine done this way for the past 9 months with no issue so far. The only time I'd be worried is if I have to have the windsheild replaced. The repair places never get it sealed as well as the factory. If that day comes, I may do it like BearHunter did. Not going to change it now since it took me a month to get off my a$$ and do it the first time. lol

yeah now that i hear of people doing it this way with no problem im going to keep it like this but bear hunters is really clean looking and a very smart idea...but like you it took me forever to run it this way...***** i had the antenna just sitting on my dash sliding all over the place with wires ran everywhere for about 2 months only because i was to busy with work and when i had time i was to tired...so im going to kepp it this way...by the wway i havent come up with a question that hasnt been answered yet on this website...you guys do an awesom job of not only answering the questions but explaining in detail...thanks for everything

Old 11-29-2006, 07:16 PM
budfans
Senior User
the rubber gasket on the edge of the glass is for looks . the real seal is a bed of urethane sealer that glues the glass to the body.

Quick Reply: xm radio antenna