1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

inline six in a '58 questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 04:44 AM
the_misfit_138
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey,
I'm having trouble w/ the engine. i'm not to good a mechanic, all I know is from working on my cars and bike.
1st, I dont't know which engine it is. I'll try and post the vins soon (it's in cali, I'm in washington) if one of you could decode them it would be a great help.
2nd, my pa had it bored and rebuilt when I was a kid, then and now (it's been sitting) it doesn't run evenly. It will only run all the way rich, then it floods at stop-signs. It's all been re-done except the carb. I pulled that, and cleaned it, checked the jets etc. No change in the performance. Any Ideas?
Also what do you guys think of these multi-port injection kits?
Also, what rear end do those f-100 have in them?
Thanks
eric

Old 04-22-2002, 08:33 AM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 22-Apr-02 AT 09:34 AM (EST)]Eric you most likely have a 223 six if it is stock. It sounds like the carb needs a complete rebuild or replacement. you should also check for vacuum leaks. Start it up and use a can of carb cleaner spray squirt it lightly around the area where the intake bolts to the head and the base and sides of the carb if the rpm comes up you've found a leak. You probably have a 9 inch rear end. By the way if your chasing "9"s you'll probably want a different chase vehicle :7 .

Old 04-22-2002, 12:09 PM
Dentless
New User

yep, it sounds like if you have a six cylinder, you've got a 223.you said it's been redone, so i'm guessing that it'd be you carb. and running full rich is really not a good idea, you can really gum up the valves over time and ABSOLUTLEY coat the spark plugs with carbon. I've had some gringy experience with plugs in the past, believe me.

P.S. thanks for the advice.

<> Dentless _

Old 04-22-2002, 09:21 PM
pcmenten
Posting Guru

I wonder if you have sticking valves. Try getting the truck running and then, one at a time, pull the spark plug wires off their spark plugs. If the engine speed drops then that cylinder is working, but you may notice, as I did, that it drops more for some cylinders than for others. If so, your engine is gummed up, gummed rings or sticking valves or lifters.

You'll need to do what several of us are currently doing, run Rislone or Marvel Mystery Oil or ATF in the crankcase to try to clean things up.

Best of luck,

Old 04-23-2002, 01:54 PM
the_misfit_138
New User
Post inline six in a '58 questions

Thanks all;
It does have a 223 in it , f10J vin.
I'll give Those suggestions a try when I get down there next
eric

Old 04-23-2002, 05:31 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey, misfit, I think you're retarded. I mean I think your TIMING is retarded! (Sorry, couldn't help it!) Get a good timing light and check your timing with the vacuum advance line disconnected and plugged and compare it to stock. If it runs that bad, I'd think that carb troubles would be visible and obvious. Meaning that inside it would look like it had been soaked in a bucket of tar. I'd look at the timing. Also, if the plug wires have been off recently, I've seen them run like this if the firing order is wrong or indexed wrong on the cap by one plug wire. Check it out.

Old 04-23-2002, 09:39 PM
Kenny
Cargo Master