1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dura Spark Box???

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 05:59 PM
welder691
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dura Spark Box???

Hello All,
My name is Chris and I have just purchased a 1980 F-350 4x4 Single rear wheel, with a 400 and a 4 speed. But there are some problems with it that I want to fix before I put it on the road. It does have some problem with the ingintion and I am just going to change it. So, what should I get to replace the Dura Spark box? And what kind of distributor should I get? There are wires all over the place and some bare spots going to the Dura Spark box, well, I think i just want to update it.
Thanks,
Chris

Old 11-23-2006, 08:53 PM
locknkey
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The DuraSpark is a pretty good ignition system, keep it and just get another wiring harness to the fuse box and you'll be good to go....keep it simple.

Old 11-24-2006, 01:44 AM
tude
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the durabox has a very hot spark i rigged one up on a dodge and wow it was like putting msd in that car

Old 11-24-2006, 01:53 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Hello, welcome to FTE! ")

Get your Duraspark ignition modules tested by a parts store, it is usually free. There is a module on the fender and one in the distributor. You can get a better wiring harness from a salvage yard. The same system has been used on cars and trucks since the mid 70's. Just match up the wires and plugs. If you see a genuine Motorcraft module while you are out getting a wiring harness grab it and have it tested. The Duraspark system has many advantages.

When you reinstall the ignition module on the fender use some 1/4" high spacers under it for cooling. I like to use 5/16" hex nuts. Sometimes I just run a bolt thru the box from the top and install a washer and nut on the bottom of the box. Then place the box with the bolts sticking out thru the holes in the fender. Use 1/4-20 nylock nuts and flat washers on the underside of the fender.

Old 11-24-2006, 03:24 PM
welder691
New User
Cool Thanks guys. Well, I guess that I will just round up a new harness for it. And have the box tested. So the Duraspark box is a factory iginiton?
Thanks,
Chris

Old 11-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Yes the Duraspark system is factory and one of the best ignition systems available. You can get replacement parts at any parts store and usually test them for free. The DS system has a timing retard system while cranking that eases hot starting and lessens the wear on your starter etc. But that does require an extra wire, a small price to pay.

Some of the aftermarket replacement modules leave something to be desired tho. Many fail within a year and waste expensive gas even tho they often carry a "lifetime" warranty. Motorcraft modules are the best and often can be found 100% functional in the scrapyard but they are expensive at the parts store.

Old 11-24-2006, 05:56 PM
tude
More Turbo
Originally Posted by welder691
Cool Thanks guys. Well, I guess that I will just round up a new harness for it. And have the box tested. So the Duraspark box is a factory iginiton?
Thanks,
Chris
ya they did it from 73 or 74 till the mid to late 80s on cars, trucks and vans, just look for the box on the fender well not the kind on the dist. the one on the dist youhave the shaft coming up then a plastic rectangle looking deal with an oval plug i hate them they may be as good or better but they are to hard to find and change for me when all i have is the older stuff

Old 11-24-2006, 07:23 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
The ones on the distributor, called a TFI system, were not one of Ford's better ideas...

Old 11-24-2006, 07:25 PM
tude
More Turbo
you had to have a special wrench to change them and i never liked that idea

Old 11-24-2006, 07:32 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
The tool was just a very thin walled socket or nut driver. Some idiot newbie draftsman or engineer made a mistake and as usual Ford continued their traditions and did not correct it...

Old 11-24-2006, 07:37 PM
tude
More Turbo
ive got so many of them dist. laying around from all the ltds, lincolns, and mercs ive demoed it isnt funny. but every now and then someone says hey do you have one of them i could trade ya for ( id give them the thing just so i didnt have to look at it any more lol) i allways run points or dura spark but when your hotwireing it up you want it simple as can be so 9 times out of 10 i use points

Old 11-24-2006, 07:40 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
I had several but dumped them all to the scrapper.

Old 11-29-2006, 04:33 PM
PerfDistIgnition
FTE Sponsor
Distributor

Originally Posted by welder691
Hello All,
My name is Chris and I have just purchased a 1980 F-350 4x4 Single rear wheel, with a 400 and a 4 speed. But there are some problems with it that I want to fix before I put it on the road. It does have some problem with the ingintion and I am just going to change it. So, what should I get to replace the Dura Spark box? And what kind of distributor should I get? There are wires all over the place and some bare spots going to the Dura Spark box, well, I think i just want to update it.
Thanks,
Chris
We can clean up that maze of wiring with our D.U.I.-Davis Unified Ignition OR if you prefer the stock look, we can set you up with an excellent Duraspark ignition system.

If you decide to get a new distributor, consider our D.U.I.-Davis Unified Ignition or our custom curved Duraspark distributor. Please see them at:

http://www.performancedistributors.com/forddui.htm

Old 11-29-2006, 05:47 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by PerfDistIgnition
We can clean up that maze of wiring with our D.U.I.-Davis Unified Ignition OR if you prefer the stock look, we can set you up with an excellent Duraspark ignition system.

If you decide to get a new distributor, consider our D.U.I.-Davis Unified Ignition or our custom curved Duraspark distributor. Please see them at:

http://www.performancedistributors.com/forddui.htm
Can you run your dura-spark distributor with the dura-spark box & coil? I run an 86 F250 4x4 with 460, 3:55 gears & a C-6. It's main job is to pull a 10,000# travel trailer. With your distributor can I plug into the stock harness?
Thanks

Old 11-29-2006, 05:56 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
From what I have heard it will and it would be an ideal upgrade for your distributor. If I didn't already have a nearly new Ford OEM distributor I would probably get their DS distributor just for the custom advance curve so I would not have to fiddle as much.

Quick Reply: Dura Spark Box???