Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

How much weight can you dump in the bed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 10:25 PM
bl311
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much weight can you dump in the bed?

I read on another post that some f250 with diesels had the 1 ton set up instead of the 3/4. If so how could you tell what I have?

How much weight can you really put in these things. I loaded a cubic yard or rock today (~2500 pounds) and went a short distance. It seemed OK but was certainly riding a lot lower. Any suggestions on how I can increase my load capacity without altering the driving feel too much?

Old 11-16-2006, 11:40 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bl311
I read on another post that some f250 with diesels had the 1 ton set up instead of the 3/4. If so how could you tell what I have?

How much weight can you really put in these things. I loaded a cubic yard or rock today (~2500 pounds) and went a short distance. It seemed OK but was certainly riding a lot lower. Any suggestions on how I can increase my load capacity without altering the driving feel too much?
I have a set of the Helliwig style overload leaf springs to put on mine. They're the 3-leaf packs that bolt on top of a "bridge" mounted on top of the stock pack. You use sqauare u-bolts to attach between the ends of the overload packs and the standard packs so you can adjust the tension to where the overloads don't start bearing any weight until the stock leaf packs start to flatten out. Basically they're supposed to do pretty much nothing until you're loaded enough for the stock springs to start squatting, then they provide the support of 3 additional leaves....

Old 11-17-2006, 08:28 AM
DeepRoots
Posting Guru
most I've put in my f250.
pallet of Concrete bags.
45 bags @ 80lbs =3600lbs

plus I've got the 74 gallon fuel tank in the bed so thats another 500+ lbs
had the camper shell on and all my tools too.

so I can reasonably say I can put 4k -4.5k lbs in my wore out truck.
a pallet isn't bad tho, because you can push it in front of the axle or at least on top of the axle, which helps alot.

Drew

Old 11-17-2006, 11:09 AM
bl311
Senior User
Originally Posted by DeepRoots
most I've put in my f250.
pallet of Concrete bags.
45 bags @ 80lbs =3600lbs

plus I've got the 74 gallon fuel tank in the bed so thats another 500+ lbs
had the camper shell on and all my tools too.

so I can reasonably say I can put 4k -4.5k lbs in my wore out truck.
a pallet isn't bad tho, because you can push it in front of the axle or at least on top of the axle, which helps alot.

Drew
Thats alot of weight. How did it drive? Do you have mods to the suspension ala cheapers helper springs?

Old 11-17-2006, 02:02 PM
DeepRoots
Posting Guru
it didn't handle badly, obviously don't be taking corners at 50mph, truck didn't squat that badly. When I have 3k lbs in the bed, I drive it like I have 3k lbs in the bed..... when I have 4k lbs in the bed, I drive it like I have 4k lbs in the bed......

mods? no, just properly maintained.
If you use a truck for work, buy the best highest range tires you can, keep fluids clean and parts greased.
ohh and I replaced most of the bolts used in the rear of the truck with fresh grade 8's
$8 a bolt sucks, but security is priceless and 17years can make some bolts pretty weak.

Old 11-17-2006, 10:23 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Almost 5 tons, 9,760 pounds if you want to get precise and that is on a truck that has a lite weight of 8,060 with me in the cab and full of fuel.

That was just 9200 pounds on the load in the picture.
2 extra leaves in each front spring, two extra leaves in each rear spring and 5 leaf overloads on the rear.

Yes it rides like a road wagon when empty, but it rides real nice with about 3 to 4 tons on the dump bed.

Besides the springs, I have also modified the brake system.
So you may not want to try this with a stock truck.
2 tons does not even put it on the overloads unless it is all the way at the back of the bed.
And yes you do have to drive like you are grossing almost 20,000 pounds even with modified brakes.

Old 11-18-2006, 11:57 AM
bl311
Senior User
Impressive Dave, I just finished putting in 25 tons of drainage rock in on my property. I had to rent the dump truck 6 times. The place I get my rock from won't load a bet with more than 2k pounds. I think they've had too many dead trucks stuck in their yard. I sure I can tell them otherwise at my own risk once I'm set up correctrly. I'm thinking I need some help in the rear. With 2500 pounds, I'm dropping almost 3-4 inches. Next time I'm loaded, I need to check how close I am to bottoming out. I did the front shocks when I got the truck, maybe time for the rear as well.

So are diesels all 1 ton chassis?

Old 11-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

All Ford diesels have a one ton frame and rear axle.
I have about 2000 in my spring upgrades, I forgot the Ride Rite air bags on the front axle for plowing snow.

I also have about 1000 dollars in brake upgrades, running a hydraboost system off an F 450 and all new brake lines.

I also replaced the spring hangers on the frame and the shackles when I did the springs.

Shocks do nothing for adding load capacity, they just control the load you are hauling.

Old 11-18-2006, 11:06 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It doesn't matter what you do to the springs or the brakes to make the truck haul and stop better the DOT only cares about one thing. Its what ever the sticker says on the door jam. For us we can license a truck for a heavier gvw but it costs more. I have my 95 F-450 registered for its mfg gross of 15,000lbs for me to do that I had to get a motor carrier number.

These trucks don't have enough brakes my F-450 has 4wheel disk and its not enough when its grossing 15,000lbs.

Residential driveways in the area have steeper grades than what you see on the highway some of them have 14%. My neighbours driveway is so steep if the concrete is wet good luck trying to climb it in 2wd.

Old 11-19-2006, 11:01 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Mine is registered for 20,000 and I also have a DOT number.
Here they could care less what the door sticker says, they look at the registration to see what you have it registered at. The more you are registered at the more you have to pay for your plates. Also insurance cost is based on the registered weight.

So you live in flat ground, the city street beside my house is 31%, some of the local driveways are steeper. 4x4 low range to climb them on dry pavement.

Old 11-19-2006, 11:45 AM
bl311
Senior User
Interesting info guys. Dave, I realize that shocks only help control the ride. Just made the comment because it drove pretty bad and bounced alot on flat roads with the load I had. I thought these trucks were originally designed to drive better loaded. With 1800lbs in the bed, I have about 1 to 1.25 inches before hitting the bumpers stops. The brakes were also pretty sketchy as well which brings me to another question. Are there any reasonable upgrades to improve the brakes. I would like to get the truck set up to carry about 3-4k comfortably.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:13 PM
yamaguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you have the factory overload springs? I had them on my1992 but not on my 1987 even though they are both 8800 gross. I have carried 3k with no problem. You just have to make sure that you have E load range tires.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:18 PM
bl311
Senior User
Doesn't look like I have the factory overload springs. But... can you describe them to be sure? I'll check on the tires. Thanks.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:29 PM
yamaguy
Posting Guru
The overload springs are on top of the main pack and I don't remember if its 1 or 2 springs, but there contact pads on the frame so as the truck squats the over loads hit the pads and then the overloads start to take some of the load. hope that helps. Dale

Old 11-19-2006, 12:32 PM
yamaguy
Posting Guru
The overload springs are on top of the main pack and I don't remember if its 1 or 2 springs, but there contact pads on the frame so as the truck squats the over loads hit the pads and then the overloads start to take some of the load. hope that helps. If you have stock 235/85/16's then they should be E range. I had 285/75/16 on my 96' f-350 crew cab 4x4 they looked great, but they were only d range and I stressed the side walls one time when I was hauling 3400 in the bed. Dale

Quick Reply: How much weight can you dump in the bed?