Sponsored by: DP Tuner

superduty mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 11:20 PM
zstyle01
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
superduty mirrors

My truck(f-250) has the normal mirrors that come with the truck but i want to upgrade to the superduty mirrors that you always see on these trucks. Anyone know how difficult it is to swap out and if the connections will be the same?

Old 11-15-2006, 12:22 AM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
(3) 10mm nuts hold your mirror on, maybe (4), take the trim off of the corner of the door, and take off the nuts, good bye old mirrors, i would imagine the wirings the same, although i cant verify that.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:41 AM
drewk
Junior User
My boss opted to switch his mirrors from the big ones to the small ones so he could fit into the garage without folding his driver's side mirror in everytime. I know he just had the dealer switch them out, so I don't know exactly what they had to do with the wiring, but the process only took them about a half an hour.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:25 AM
PA_Ford_Man
Junior User
I upgraded to the larger aftermarket power mirrors (non-heated, no lights) that I purchased on eBay. The electrical connector was different, so I simply soldered the wires together and used heat shrink tubing. It was pretty easy to swap them with the hardest part determining the wire-to-wire scheme for the aftermarket mirrors. I like the larger mirrors and was surprised that I do not have to extend them to see around my 8-ft wide travel trailer!

Last edited by PA_Ford_Man; 11-15-2006 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:44 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
When I replaced mine, a couple of years ago, they came with adaptors for the wiring. Got them from a friend that worked in the Ford parts department. Have seen aftermarket ones that look just like the Ford ones, but don't recall the manufacturer. Not sure of the price either. The manual ones only require the removal of the small triangular cover to remove the nuts. Have to remove the door panel also on the power models to access the wiring.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:56 AM
dadsgreenpsd
Senior User
When I did mine, i had to put the connectors from the old mirrors onto the new ones. I tied a string onto the connector when I removed the mirror, and was able to wiggle the connector through the door without removing the door panel. I have my CB mounted in the pocket of the driver door, so I dont like to remove it very often. The hardest part was plugging in the connector, but with a little bit of patience, I was able to reach it through to access hole under the switch. It's all in how you hold your tongue while doing it.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:15 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
http://www.eurekaboy.com/f250/newmirrors.htm

GO with the OEM mirrors with turn signal and running lights.
its pretty easy. i had a little more trouble on mine, because my truck didnt have power mirrors, so I had to run all the wiring and install the switch. I also installed a serparate switch for the heat.

DO NOT GET AFTERMARKET MIRRORS. You will hate yourself if you do. They vibrate a lot going down the road.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:35 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey empiretc
can you post a website where you got yours, the one you posted has only email link for the guy that sells them, or should i just email him?
275 sounds like a god deal, i have power mirrors on my 2001 f250 but i just upgraded 2005 chrom package grill and 2005 lights, so those mirrors wold complement the truck a lot,
thanks
Peter

Old 11-15-2006, 03:44 PM
Calli
Senior User

On my early '99, I replaced the power shorties with the power longies. Same bolts and same wiring. Unplug and plug up. Carroll

Old 11-15-2006, 08:47 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by PETE'S_7.3PSD
can you post a website where you got yours, the one you posted has only email link for the guy that sells them, or should i just email him?
I emailed the guy from that site and he never got back to me. I just hunted eBay and waited. Took some time, but I got my new ones for $100 and sold my old tow mirrors for $150. Talk about dumb luck.

Just be patient and keep searching fleabay. That is the cheapest place you are going to get them. You should be able to get them for ~ $300 or better.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:49 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks bro
i will
the hunt is on

Old 11-21-2006, 01:12 AM
Chips2000
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by empiretc
http://www.eurekaboy.com/f250/newmirrors.htm

GO with the OEM mirrors with turn signal and running lights.
its pretty easy. i had a little more trouble on mine, because my truck didnt have power mirrors, so I had to run all the wiring and install the switch. I also installed a serparate switch for the heat.

DO NOT GET AFTERMARKET MIRRORS. You will hate yourself if you do. They vibrate a lot going down the road.
I installed **** extendable and adjustable non-heated mirrors 2 years ago and they have NO vibration. They cost about $300 for the pair from JC Whitney. They look fairly stock, and work very well and are very easy to install. If I were to do it over again, I would go with the new stock mirrors as I like the running and turn signal lights, but I don't remember if they were available at that time, plus, I think they would cost a whole lot more. (Does anybody know?)

You will see many more Chevy trucks with this same mirror as their stock ones are really crappy for towing a trailer.

Last edited by Chips2000; 11-21-2006 at 01:16 AM.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:20 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Last time I checked, $650 for the pair from the dealer. They sell the covers separately, so its a total of 4 piece.

Chips, the pair you purchased from JC Whitney are of better quality than the Tawain made ones on fleabay that I warn everyone about. They sell for $150-$200 depending on options. **** is known for making mirrors for fire trucks, ambulances, and other emergency vehicles. Good Stuff!!

Old 11-21-2006, 12:42 PM
Chips2000
Mountain Pass
Empiretc....Thanks for the price info.

Actually, I was partly wrong about **** mirrors not vibrating. The latest ones I installed does not as I stated, but a set of their strap-ons did, but it was very minimal as it was more of a "soft" vibration and quite tolerable compared to other brands I tried. Plus they were very nice and modern looking. But I hated having to strap them on for every trip and then go down the street with my wife hanging out the window trying to adjust them to my satisfaction.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:17 PM
WMRiceman
Senior User
If you have the mirrors off e-bay that vibrate, there is a fix. I bought the e-bay mirrors and hated the vibration until I used some fuel hose to stop the vibration. I took one-inch pieces of the hose and put it between the glass and the frame. I would never buy the E-Bay Taiwan made mirrors again and hate I have to use the rubber hose to fix them. You have to set them where you want them and then put the hose in place. You live and learn I guess.

Quick Reply: superduty mirrors