Notices

Bosch Icon Windshield Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 03:01 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Question Bosch Icon Windshield Wipers

Anyone using these new & grossly expensive wipers?

I purchased a set a couple of months ago, and they do seem to be holding up better than any other wiper I've used in the past 20 years. Regardless, I'm still not yet sure thay're worth the $20 price per blade, even though they are quieter, lower profile, and not yet streaking or smearing.

Here's the link:
http://www.bosch.us/content/language1/html/715_4502.htm

Anyone else have any experience with these things?

Old 11-14-2006, 03:54 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Not on my truck or car, but i used to work for mercedes-benz as a tech and they used them on many models. What i can say is, when they do work they work very well. When they don't they chatter across the windshield, smear and are downright flat out annoying.

Old 11-14-2006, 04:31 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Did they last any longer than the typical ones, though, Scott?

Old 11-14-2006, 08:51 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Most of the time they would chatter before they smeared, but the chattering across the windshield caused the smears. In my experiance they did not last very long and we replaced a ton of them under mercedes factory warranty. They even came out with a bulletin saying that it was the angle of the wiper arm to the windshield, and to check that and correct if needed, but it didn't really fix it, replacing them did.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:20 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Scott:

Thanks for the info. I had to drive about 3 hours in the rain today, sometimes extremely heavy rain, and have begun to notice a slight chatter movement (no noise yet) on the bottom edges of both blades. Like I said, even though they had a much better start than others, I wasn't sure that they would be worth it in the end. Now I see the potential for what you've shared very clearly. I'll go ahead and let them run out their life, but am currently thinking that I won't spend that kind of money on them again.

Old 11-16-2006, 05:34 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Hope I didn't curse you. Anyway, I always just go to the Ford dealer when I need new blades. The Ford ones last long enough for me, and I get them at a discount! I just think that by design those just don't have enough strength out at the ends to keep them rigid and straight. When they chatter you can see the ends flexing. Like they need heavier reinforcement inside the wiper. Normal wipers have the metal blade/ frame to supprt the insert all the way to the ends. How long did they last for you?

Old 11-17-2006, 07:47 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Scott:

They're not wonr out yet. I spent another 2 hhours driving in light rain yesterday morning, and although I see the shimmy-ing at the bottom ends, there's still no signs of any significant deterioration in wiping. The windshield is still being kept just as clear as it was earlier.

Sooo... even though I have seen a little indication of streaking, it hasn't progressed or gotten worse after close to 5 hours of driving in the rain.

Again... sooo... having now run for nearly 3 months, I am pretty pleased with the windshield cleanliness overall. Having pumped $40 into them, I'm going to run them until they begin to get close to "unsafe", and I'm hoping that that will be at least another year down the road. We'll see, though.

Also, I have a simiilar thread running under the Diesel "1999-2003 7.3L..." PSD forum. Lots more folks have responded and discussed things there. Several guys have spoken up about having run these blades for quite a while and they love them. Just thought I'd mention it in case you're interested.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...in-wipers.html