1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

59 Self Adjusting Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 08:16 PM
viking
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
59 Self Adjusting Brakes

I'm upgrading my rear brakes on my 59 F-100 to self adjusters. I was told all I needed to was buy the self adjuster kits for a 64-67 F-100, however when I went to install the parts, the adjustment hole on the backing plate on the left (driver) side is in the wrong position to allow the initial manual adjustment. Has anyone else made this upgrade and what did you do about this problem? Do I need to find a 64-67 backing plate? Can anyone help me with this?

Old 08-07-2002, 01:57 PM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
59 Self Adjusting Brakes

Old 08-11-2002, 10:45 AM
viking
Junior User
59 Self Adjusting Brakes

I did'nt get any replies so I set out to find a backing plate from a 64-67 that came originaly with self adjusters. I searched in vain without any luck in finding anything that old in the local wrecking yards, however I did notice that the newer 9" Ford rearends all had the adjustment hole on the rear of the backing plate which is opposite the 57-60's location for the LEFT backing plate. ( The RIGHT 57-60 backing plate is OK as-is.) I then decided to take things in my own hands and re-do the original backing plate. I cut a piece of steel and fitted it to the original adjustment hole and welded it in place. Then I milled a 5/16" x 1" slot at the rear of the backing plate centered on the adjustment wheel of the self-adjuster. If you don't have access to a milling machine you could drill a series of 5/16" holes and file it out. In retrospect , I spent much more time driving around looking for a backing plate than the modification took. ( About 1 hr. total.) Hope this can be of help to someone trying to install the self adjusters on the earlier models.

Old 08-11-2002, 11:55 AM
Kenny
Cargo Master
59 Self Adjusting Brakes

Hi,
I am sorry that you did not recieve any responses. I would have liked to help, but I've never tried to add self adjusters to my '59. Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you for all the great info!