Help with backwards engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 11:30 AM
dutchdivco
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with backwards engine?

Help!! I have a 1965 Divco Milktruck. It has an inline 6 ford engine. However, in looking at an older ford truck, and at looking at photos in (Divco) repair manuals, mine seems to be a mirror image. The casting #'s on the block are on the drivers side, as is the intake/exhaust manifold. The oil filter and sending unit, manual fuel pump, dist. etc. are all on the passenger side.Makes it difficult to figure out what engine I have, so I can order parts and consider modifications.Wish my digital camera worked, so I could post a picture. Also, there is a cover on the passenger side of the engine, just below the valve cover. It has 3 or 4 large X's stamped into it, (for rigidity's sake, I guess). Its about 5-6 inches high, and runs from front to back. Has 3 or 4 bolts holding it on.Seems to be leaking oil at the back end, and the bolts don't seem tight.Am leery of tightening them up, without knowing what they are.So, what is this cover? Any help much appreciated. Jim

Old 11-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Hello- Welcome to FTE! I have moved your post to the specialized forum we have here for your question. Check out the list of tech forums we have on FTE. There is a wealth of information and expertise here to help you. Check the links at the bottom, and the menu bar at the top, of the page for more information and resources. Have fun!

Old 11-11-2006, 12:44 PM
Ranger GT2
Elder User
The cover you have described sounds like the push rod cover. If you can post the casting number off of the block it may help identify the motor you have. Is your intake/exhaust manifold on the passenger side or drivers?

Old 11-11-2006, 04:55 PM
dutchdivco
New User
Its on the passenger side.The block casting #, on the drivers side, is C3AE-8015-AC, and thx. already. JIM

Old 11-11-2006, 05:24 PM
dutchdivco
New User
Also, if I tighten the bolts on the cover, will they "bottom out when tight, or will they distort the cover? As I said, they seem only finger tight, which I thought was odd.JIM

Old 11-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Ranger GT2
Elder User
The manual that I have shows a torque spec of 4 - 7 ft/lbs for that cover. My manual only covers 73 - 79 trucks. I've never had mine off so I don't know if the bolts bottom out or not. I would think that they don't since it doesn't take much torque for them. The 1st two letters of the casting number represents the year it was cast. C means 1960 and 3 means it was the 3 year or 1963. I don't know alot about motors before 1965 and i'm not sure if ford made a 300 six before 1965. You might check to see if there is a metal tag or plate that has a serial number or a type of vin number that might tell you what size engine you have. The only way to be sure what size the motor is would be to check actual diameter of the cylinder walls and stroke of the piston.

Old 11-11-2006, 10:30 PM
63redtudor
Senior User
Sounds like you have a 223 (or maybe a 262, though not likely). This is an older series of inline sixes. Check this site out & see if it helps: http://www.geocities.com/edwins63/I6ID.html
Edwin

Old 11-11-2006, 11:25 PM
dutchdivco
New User
Actually, I think 262 is likely, as Divco used them. Even tho the truck is a 65, this could be the original engine, as Divco was a little loose about such things, or a dairy could have swapped out the engine.The manual, such as it is, says they used 262's till mid 65, when they switched to 300's.Apperently ford itroduced the 300 in 65.
This helps alot, and thx for the info on the cover bolts. glad I didn't torque them down tight, to try to stop the leak.Probably just needs a new gasket, and once I figure out what engine it is, I can replace that.I'll check mout that site now, thx. all for the help!!
Jim

Old 11-11-2006, 11:38 PM
dutchdivco
New User
Yes!!The site you referred me to does show the 262 with everything "backwards as discussed previously, and says they were used in Divco trucks. finally! Thanks again, everyone!Jim