1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Leg went through the bed of my truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2002, 10:38 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

Midnight Cruiser?

"There is nothing sacred about wood"

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I do think treadplate is very handy stuff, and it goes so very well with duct tape. Sorry, you hit a nerve after all the hours I spent on my oak bed wood. Yes, it will probably all turn black eventually if I ever leave the truck outside. I do all kinds of time consuming and weird things people don't understand I guess. Like putting door handles back on my truck after the previous owner went to the trouble of shaving them. Raising my truck back up a bit so it can actually have suspension travel.

Fatfenders

Old 08-08-2002, 04:21 PM
Midnite Cruiser
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry Fatfenders-

Little prickly on the response there. I LOVE wood beds also, but wanted to use the truck often and not injure such a time investment in a furniture quality bed which can be done later.

And understand that some of us mix the restoration up too. You do the modern V8 slushbox, I will do the 312 4bbl and shift mine.(EXCEPT for the bed treatment and a 12V wire conversion,mine is box stock- I even went and put ON a side mount spare from my parts truck when the bend was redone.)

We all hate duct tape

Old 08-08-2002, 04:46 PM
pcmenten
Posting Guru

Duct tape. LOL

When I repaired my heater core, the rubber gasket between the heater box and the fresh air intake was shot, so I wrapped a piece of duct tape around it. It was actually a little ironic to use duct tape to seal an air duct.

Yeah, I wish I had the cash to buy oak for my bed, but the plywood was cheap and quick.

Old 08-08-2002, 05:15 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a little off the subject but I saw a History Channel program that explained the origin of duck tape. Yes, DUCK tape, not DUCT tape. :-X23

As I recall the program said that during WWII the army wanted a flexible, waterproof tape that was strong enough to do in-the-field repairs on various things. 3M (???) came up with a silver-gray tape made from a waterproof backing, reinforcing mesh, and all-purpose adhesive. The 2-1/2 ton trucks with the boxy sheet metal pontoons on the sides (deuce-and-a-half amphibs) became widely known as ducks. The GIs apparently found out that this tape was great at patching holes in the duck pontoons made by small-arms fire (along with about 10 million other uses). Water rolled off it like a duck's back. So that's why it's called duck tape - it was used to fix holes in the ducks. The program also said the repairs only lasted a day at most in water but that was plenty if all you wanted to do was keep from sinking on the ride to and from the offshore boats. Aparently the tape wasn't really waterproof - just water resistant.

I've also been told that HVAC folks never use duck tape for ducts since the adhesive disintegrates after a few months. I don't know if the part about the HVAC folks is really true but I do know that all those boxes I taped shut with the stuff fell open within a year and the adhesive did get all dry and crumbly - like white powder. The boxes I taped shut with packing tape are still just fine after a couple years.

And here all these years I've been calling it duct tape too.

Anyway, as Tim Taylor says, if you can't fix it - duck it!

George

Old 08-08-2002, 06:00 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend

Midnight Cruiser

Sorry about my response. I quickly regretted my comments. They were not called for. I try to be helpful here.

By the way George, thanks for that insightful history on duct tape. Since the Army caused it's invention, I will check the my logistics database tomorrow at work and see what it is now officially called so we can settle this all important issue.

Fatfenders

Old 08-08-2002, 06:01 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend

>Midnight Cruiser
>
>Sorry about my response. I quickly regretted my comments.
>They were not called for. I try to be helpful here.
>
>By the way George, thanks for that insightful history on
>duct tape. Since the Army caused it's invention, I will
>check the military logistics database tomorrow at work and see
>what it is now officially called so we can settle this all
>important issue.
>
>Fatfenders

Old 08-08-2002, 08:14 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, OK, so I watch the History Channel once in a while. Guess I'm just a geek at heart. :P

George

Old 08-09-2002, 05:34 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend

WARNING, THE FOLLOWING POST IS WORTHLESS!

George

I actually checked today and am sorry but it appears the Federal Supply System no longer carries DUCK tape, or any other materials for repairing DUCKS for that matter. Luckily for Midnight Cruiser and PCMENTEN, supplies of treadplate, plywood, plexiglass, duct tape, tie straps, and baling wire are still readily available to meet their classic truck restoration needs.

Ride on
'fenders

Old 08-09-2002, 11:35 PM
pcmenten
Posting Guru

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 10-Aug-02 AT 00:36 AM (EST)]

'fenders,

I know you're pulling my leg and I know you don't like shoddy restoration work, but I'm proudest of the times I have to improvise and do something creative to fix things 'right'.

Right now I can't afford to 'gold plate' my truck. I have to keep it running, and I don't have money or time to fool around (much). My rear stop/tail lights came from Walmart. I had to argue with the tech at Mienike to fix the muffler system my way; quick and cheap. I didn't buy a new radiator or heater core when they were leaking, I took them to a shop where they actually fix radiators.

Don't get me wrong, I like a truck that is cherried and tricked out, but I've got to drive this thing every day, and I would hesitate to throw a tree trunk in the back and go to the dump if my truck were 'perfect'. So save the tie wire and duck tape for me, please.

best regards,

Old 08-10-2002, 08:08 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend

Paul

You are right that I am just messing with and Midnight Cruiser. If I recall from earlier signature blocks, You have about a half a dozen cool rides. I only have only one project now and am able to devote most of my spending money to it. That said, I am still running a plenty of homemade parts. It's part of rodding. I usually get out the MIG welder instead of my checkbook when I can. My truck likely never haul anything more abrasive than a suitcase. So what you're saying then is sometimes you put things in the back of your truck that could scratch the bed That's a hoot. I can't wait to tell some of the folks around here about your idea. Just think how fast my buddy could haul gravel with his Lightning.

Regards
Dewayne

Old 08-10-2002, 10:18 AM
51f1
Senior User

Now boys,
if you can't play nice you're gonna have to put your trucks away and go to bed!
:+

Old 08-20-2002, 12:34 AM
jrod60
Freshman User

will those plans work for a 60 as well? I've go a catalog that lists the wood for 50-72 models, but your website says 53-56... it seems that they should be the same, but i'd like to know if anyone knows for sure. thanks
jared

Old 08-20-2002, 06:04 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend

Jared

I would think they would but don't really know for certain. Do you have the same number of bed strips and bed inside dimensions. If so, the only likely difference is the hold down bolt holes which could be drilled later.

'fenders

Old 08-20-2002, 08:25 AM
Craig
Senior User