Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

who builds the most Dependable Longest Lasting truck on the road

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 10:51 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by '79 General
I would not advise arguing too hard for either side. I believe Ford is the better truck, but I want those bowtie folks around. Thanks to a fellows ill-advised hatred of Ford I just traded a derelict, rusted out, hasn’t run in twelve years, four door, titleless, 67 Chevy II for a nearly perfect two door 62 Ford Fairlane 500.

Yep, we need to keep those Ford haters around. Don't rock the boat, and don't try too hard to convince them that Ford is the best. That way we can get the better deals.
theres truth in them there words..

if it werent for the lower resale on Ford trucks awhile back i wouldnt have afforded the truck i'm in now...

i timed my purchase perfectly when big gas engines in fullsize trucks were HARD to sell, shortly after the economy fell throu the floor and suddenly any used truck was worth gold.. no one could afford new for awhile there..

i paid 14k for mine, several months later i could have sold it for 20K$ i bet...but then i would have had to pay the inflated price so there was no chance i'd have sold it.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:57 AM
Hola Man
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
"Look at my sig. The only thing missing? Chevys!"

Who cares - that's just you.
Most trucks I see around here working are Chevys, Fords and then Dodge. So I guess our observations are what? localized? Again another meaningless comment on your end.

Since you’re a numbers guy don't Ford and Chevy outsell Dodge - significantly?

Your basing all your comments and experiences on a population of 1 - you.
You make it sound like all I like are Dodges. Check my sig again son, I like em all 'cept for Chevys.

More people buy more meals at McDonalds than at any other restaurant in the world. Using your logic, we are to believe that means McDonalds serves the best food. I don't think so son.

I'm the only one quoting a respected, unbiased third party, R.L. Polk, and again, according to them, from 87 to the present, Dodges are the longest lasting trucks on the road, which is the original question posed at the beginning of this thread, which I answered with facts. Seems to me you are the one who is "basing all your comments and experiences on a population of 1 - you." What other sources have you quoted besides yourself?
Regards, Eric

Old 10-24-2010, 06:13 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,118 Likes on 2,174 Posts
R L Polk is just like any of the other raters out there they say dodge is the best since 87 because dodge has been paying them to say it since 87.
motor-trend said the honda ridgeline was the best truck made a few years ago. do you think anyone besides the honda folk that paid them to say it and a few total idiots that believe anything they read believed it??

Old 10-24-2010, 08:35 AM
Hola Man
Senior User
Don't you think that if R.L. Polk was crooked like that they would have been busted by now?

For a moment, let's assume the worst here and assume what you are asserting is correct. Don't you think that if it's true that R.L. Polk's best rating is available to the highest bidder, that a company with more resources like Toyota, or Ford, or even GM, would be able to out bid Chrysler again and again over the years for that rosy rating? You would have us believing that eternally cash strapped Chrysler has been continually out bidding these other, bigger companies, who have much greater resources? And what about these companies that have been getting the shake down from R.L. Polk all these years and getting out bid by Chrysler. Don't you think that they would have been howling loudly to Government officials, the press, the media, etc., etc., exposing this crookedness?

This conspiracy theory is right up there with the "Elvis ain't really dead" conspiracy theory!

This reminds me of the old Louis Grizzard (I've probably badly mis-spelled his name...sorry) joke about people who believe that the Moon shot was fake and wrestling is real!

Also, I'll say it again, I'm pretty sure that it is the longevity of the Cummins that has helped Dodge beat the rest in the overall longevity race I'm not claiming that Dodges are "all that", I'm just saying they are better than Chevys.

As you can see in my sig, I am incapable of choosing between Ford and Dodge. They are both good in their own way. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.
Regards, Eric

Old 10-24-2010, 02:48 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Hola Man
You make it sound like all I like are Dodges. Check my sig again son, I like em all 'cept for Chevys.

More people buy more meals at McDonalds than at any other restaurant in the world. Using your logic, we are to believe that means McDonalds serves the best food. I don't think so son.

I'm the only one quoting a respected, unbiased third party, R.L. Polk, and again, according to them, from 87 to the present, Dodges are the longest lasting trucks on the road, which is the original question posed at the beginning of this thread, which I answered with facts. Seems to me you are the one who is "basing all your comments and experiences on a population of 1 - you." What other sources have you quoted besides yourself?
Regards, Eric
Couple things here:
First off - I'm not your son.

Second I'm not sure what the deal with your signature has to do with squat but you seem to reference a lot. We all have signatures and most of us, including myself, have owned more than one brand of vehicle to base our experiences on.

Your analogy to McDonalds and cheap food is hardly apples to apples for our discussion. So using your logic Ford is the Mcdonalds of trucks? Really? Chevy is like what Taco Bell and Dodge is Wendys.

Bottom line - I referenced some real numbers and you had nothing to come back with except McDonalds - really? And some general sighting test you want us all to do becasue of what YOU choose to see in your area.

Can we at least base our discussion on something factual? Let's start with sales numbers:

Ford
Chevy
Dodge

Without using fast food our regional sightings please explain these numbers to the rest of us? Just so us simple minded folks understand.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:44 AM
Hola Man
Senior User
This thread is not asking who sells the most trucks. It is asking: "Who builds the most Dependable Longest Lasting truck on the road" I have answered that question, you have not. How do sales figures address the OP's original question? What do sales figures have to do with it? You say you referenced some real numbers. Where?

Again, I am referencing something other than personal experiences. I am referencing R.L. Polk and according to them, the Dodges last longer and have done so since 1987. What are you referencing?

The McDonalds analogy is valid in that the fact that they sell more meals than anybody else doesn't mean that they serve the best meals, anymore than the fact that Chevy out sells Dodge means that Chevy builds a better truck than Dodge. Trying to explain why more people buy Chevys than Dodges would be like trying to explain why so many people buy McDonalds' slop. Hence the analogy. Maybe it's because there are lots of folks out there who ate too many lead filled paint chips as a child! Why do we have so many idiots in the Republican and Democratic parties? Why is the divorce rate at 50%? The same answer applies to all of these questions: Too many people not thinking through their decisions carefully enough! There are a scary amount of people who actually buy their cars and trucks based on styling of all things!

My regional sighting test wouldn't be so regional anymore if everybody here did said test and posted their findings here. It would be interesting. That is what I was encouraging.

You want factual? Fact: According to R.L. Polk, Dodges last longest!
I think it's because of the Cummins but that's just my guess.
Regards, Eric

Old 10-25-2010, 06:19 AM
Hola Man
Senior User
Couple things here:
First off - I'm not your son.

Second I'm not sure what the deal with your signature has to do with squat but you seem to reference a lot. We all have signatures and most of us, including myself, have owned more than one brand of vehicle to base our experiences on.

Your analogy to McDonalds and cheap food is hardly apples to apples for our discussion. So using your logic Ford is the Mcdonalds of trucks? Really? Chevy is like what Taco Bell and Dodge is Wendys.

Bottom line - I referenced some real numbers and you had nothing to come back with except McDonalds - really? And some general sighting test you want us all to do becasue of what YOU choose to see in your area.

Can we at least base our discussion on something factual? Let's start with sales numbers:

Ford
Chevy
Dodge

Without using fast food our regional sightings please explain these numbers to the rest of us? Just so us simple minded folks understand.
Just wanted to lock your post in before you have the chance to edit it.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:18 AM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
You say you referenced some real numbers. Where?

The McDonalds analogy is valid in that the fact that they sell more meals than anybody else doesn't mean that they serve the best meals, anymore than the fact that Chevy out sells Dodge means that Chevy builds a better truck than Dodge. Trying to explain why more people buy Chevys than Dodges would be like trying to explain why so many people buy McDonalds' slop. Hence the analogy. Maybe it's because there are lots of folks out there who ate too many lead filled paint chips as a child! Why do we have so many idiots in the Republican and Democratic parties? Why is the divorce rate at 50%? The same answer applies to all of these questions: Too many people not thinking through their decisions carefully enough! There are a scary amount of people who actually buy their cars and trucks based on styling of all things!

My regional sighting test wouldn't be so regional anymore if everybody here did said test and posted their findings here. It would be interesting. That is what I was encouraging.

You want factual? Fact: According to R.L. Polk, Dodges last longest!
I think it's because of the Cummins but that's just my guess.
Regards, Eric
Locking you in as well (whatever that means)

Sales numbers:
PickupTrucks.com - News and Sales
2009 Year-End Top 10 Pickup Truck Sales - PickupTrucks.com News
As mentioned Ford and GM significantly outpace Dodge in truck sales.

And then according to you the rest of that do not purchase a Dodge are not thinking correctly? Is that correct? I mean that's pretty much what your trying to say.

Let's all think about this study your grasping at in regards to Dodge - specifically trucks with the cummins motor. Make no mistake I'd agree to date the longest lasting and probably the most dependable. What’s more dependable an old car with no problems or a brand new car sitting on a lot. Well your study is saying the old car. Not that its wrong it just the new car has no history to say either way.

OK so now that I’ve posted my ‘real’ numbers and completely undermined your claim – what’s next? Should we all go stand out in the street and count trucks with trailers? Should we pull’em over ask the weight right away too?

It's good to be back!

Old 10-26-2010, 12:36 AM
Hola Man
Senior User
You are still missing the point. Selling more trucks or hamburgers or anything else for that matter doesn't mean that you are selling the best product. It just means you are selling the most product, nothing more. Michael Jackson sold more records, CDs etc. than anybody else. Does that mean his music was the best? I don't think so. Sales figures mean absolutely nothing.

I have not claimed that Dodge is better than Ford. I rate them both equal. Different with their own strengths and weaknesses but equal. I do claim that Dodges are better than Chevys though. There are a lot of Chevys sold because there are too many people who aren't thinking their choice through very well. Just like when they marry the wrong spouse or when they vote for the wrong political candidate.

Just for grins let's buy into your argument. Fords outsell Chevys. That means Fords are better than Chevys. So dump your knappy Chevy and go buy a Ford!
Regards, Eric

Old 10-26-2010, 01:05 AM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
You are still missing the point. Selling more trucks or hamburgers or anything else for that matter doesn't mean that you are selling the best product. It just means you are selling the most product, nothing more. Michael Jackson sold more records, CDs etc. than anybody else. Does that mean his music was the best? I don't think so. Sales figures mean absolutely nothing.

I have not claimed that Dodge is better than Ford. I rate them both equal. Different with their own strengths and weaknesses but equal. I do claim that Dodges are better than Chevys though. There are a lot of Chevys sold because there are too many people who aren't thinking their choice through very well. Just like when they marry the wrong spouse or when they vote for the wrong political candidate.

Just for grins let's buy into your argument. Fords outsell Chevys. That means Fords are better than Chevys. So dump your knappy Chevy and go buy a Ford!
Regards, Eric

Is it same if I say,that: " There are a lot of Fords sold because there are too many people who aren't thinking their choice through very well. Just like when they marry the wrong spouse or when they vote for the wrong political candidate. "
Nothing against Ford

Old 10-26-2010, 05:36 AM
Hola Man
Senior User
No, because it seems that Ford and Dodge buyers are making a better, more informed choice. Proof of this is the fact that they chose a superior truck!
Regards, Eric

Old 10-26-2010, 06:57 AM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru

Regards, Eric
Using your logic sales figures mean everything because really what you've said is that most, yes I said most, people are making the wrong choice. Look at my links again add Chevy and GM together and I think they even outpace Ford.

So bottom-line is what you’re saying is everybody that buys a Chevy is somewhat stupid? Even though sales of Chevy's outpace Dodge 3-1 maybe even 4-1. Yes it at all possible - even conceivable in your mind given the volume of raw empirical data I’ve presented that just maybe you’re wrong? Let’s face it you’re talking about a lot of stupid people then.
Since I’m so unhappy with my truck could you please explain to me how I would be happier with a Dodge – for my sake? Just so I, and everybody else who buys a Chevy truck, know for next time so we don’t fall into the same misguided trap we fell into last time.

Let’s face it here the only thing you really are trying to say is ‘YOU’ don’t like Chevy’s. Fine but don’t dictate to me and the rest of us what we like and don’t like and then attempt to justify it with politics, McDonalds, religion and relationships or whatever mumbo jumbo you’ve got out there – especially on a Ford forum. If you feel that strongly go back to your Dodge site and preach there.

P.S.
Have you even owned a Chevy?

Old 10-26-2010, 08:31 AM
hammerhead90
Elder User
Using your logic sales figures mean everything because really what you've said is that most, yes I said most, people are making the wrong choice. Look at my links again add Chevy and GM together and I think they even outpace Ford.

Nope,
1.GM and Chevy combined sell less trucks than ford.
2. I've driven multiple Chevy's and GMC's The trucks drive like they were made for and 80 yr old couple, they wallow around, and have the turning circle of a small ship compared to my truck. The brake pedals feel like you're stepping on a sponge. and the interiors look like the were designed by a small child.
3. If you are such a Chevy fan, why are you on a Ford site? Wannabe?

Old 10-26-2010, 09:08 AM
Hola Man
Senior User
Hey DMAX, You forgot the Michael Jackson reference.

Yes, I've owned several Chevys. Hated every one. Still have a 95 Blazer I can't give away. Left that stuff out as you seemed to want to focus on more third party data but now you are turning it more personal.

Yes, most people are making the wrong choices. A 50% divorce rate is proof that half the people made the wrong choice in a spouse, at least half the people hate the leaders that the other half has voted into office, I don't know anybody who liked Micheal Jackson's music yet his stuff sold more than anyone else's did.

Don't tell me what to do son. I'm way more of a Ford guy than you are and belong here way more than you do. Do you have any Fords? Do you care about them? I love mine. Even the one I'm having to sell now because of space constraints. I've owned that van for over 28 years!

Again, I've answered the original question posed by the OP. Like it or not, Dodges last longer according to R.L. Polk. I'm the only party in this thread to quote an established, respected third party as evidence in support of my answer to the OP's original question. I'm not telling everybody to buy one. I only have one myself while I have THREE Fords. I've even said it is probably due to the Cummins dragging Dodge up some while the International built Powerstroke dragged Ford down some on this longevity scale. Don't try to paint me as the troll here as clearly you are the troll and now you are getting way off topic as well.

Hugs and kisses,
Eric

Old 10-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Hola Man
Senior User

So bottom-line is what you’re saying is everybody that buys a Chevy is somewhat stupid? Even though sales of Chevy's outpace Dodge 3-1 maybe even 4-1. Yes it at all possible - even conceivable in your mind given the volume of raw empirical data I’ve presented that just maybe you’re wrong? Let’s face it you’re talking about a lot of stupid people then.
Since I’m so unhappy with my truck could you please explain to me how I would be happier with a Dodge – for my sake? Just so I, and everybody else who buys a Chevy truck, know for next time so we don’t fall into the same misguided trap we fell into last time.

Let’s face it here the only thing you really are trying to say is ‘YOU’ don’t like Chevy’s. Fine but don’t dictate to me and the rest of us what we like and don’t like and then attempt to justify it with politics, McDonalds, religion and relationships or whatever mumbo jumbo you’ve got out there – especially on a Ford forum. If you feel that strongly go back to your Dodge site and preach there.

P.S.
Have you even owned a Chevy?
Just wanted to lock your post in again before you have a chance to edit it.

Very eloquent post Hammerhead90! You put it better in fewer words than I did!
Regards, Eric

Quick Reply: who builds the most Dependable Longest Lasting truck on the road