1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

72' Cowl Availablity

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 12:50 PM
blackford85
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
72' Cowl Availablity

Hey guys I was just wondering if there is an N.O.S cowl for a 72' f-100 I just purchased. It has a small rust hole on the driver side on the bottom part by the door. Would my best luck be at a swap meet? This truck sat in a garage for 30 years and is 100% solid except for that 1 hole in the cowl. Any help on this would be great.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:19 PM
RMPC
Senior User
Hi Blackford.... you can buy a new aftermarket, upper cowl end repair panel from LMC for about $80.00 I found it on page 24 of their most recent catalog... part #49-8710. I dont know of anyone that carries a complete new cowl... might try a junkyard in a non rust state. I know a guy that has a bunch of bumpsides sitting behind his barn, next time I see him, I'll ask him if he'd sell one

Old 11-07-2006, 03:30 PM
blackford85
Freshman User
Smile

Thanks for your help RMPC. I also needed the support brace cab repair pieces ( rotted) to repair the only rust on the truck. I dont think they would fail it since the cab is not directly supported on it and it is not rusted into the floor. Heck I wouldnt fail it. I have only found those support brace repair pieces in NPD. I dont know if LMC has them or maybe I just didnt see them, but I'm happy I've found the repair panels I need with help from this forum and the growing resto companies.

Last edited by blackford85; 11-07-2006 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:56 PM
RMPC
Senior User
Here is a link to LMC's website. From there you can download a complete catalog and if you want they will send you one for free. I've used this company quite a bit in the past and so far, everything I've gotten from them is and exact fit to the original. I'll bet they have the cab support parts you need too.

http://www.lmctruck.com/index.htm

Old 11-07-2006, 04:04 PM
blackford85
Freshman User
Smile

Yes they do have it. Thanks again RMPC for your help. I cant wait to get this ol' bumpyside girl on the road and hopefully have it where I want it by next spring. It needs mainly brake work and exhaust work but not bad for being stored in a garage for 30 years and having only 68,000 on it.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:06 AM
RMPC
Senior User
You'll love her when ya get her going again... these old trucks are pretty good head turners when they look good... specially the 4x4's as high as they sit. My 71 4x4 sat in a back bay of the machine barn for 10 years or so after my brother died and another four years when I was working out of state. Both times it was resurrected I had to replace lots of seals and bearings, brakes & wheel cylinders etc. Just sitting hurts em more than most people think... everything rubber just dry rots... you should have seen the tires on it when she came out the first time... looked ok but so much dry rot that the first time I fired it up and drove it around a little the tires started falling apart... still had the old bias ply mud grips on it from 1971 and the split rims... that stuff went away fast! The bed was rotted out in the floor from some hay in the back that had gotten wet and never cleaned out... ended up putting a 9' steel flatbed on it. Cab and front end were fine, engine leaked a quart about every 40 miles from the rear of the intake and main seal.... I have a lot tied up in it now but I'll never sell it cause it's the only thing I've got other than a few pictures and a folded flag to remind me of my brother's senior trip to Viet Nam. A few of the ranchers around here remember him driving it when it was new and for awhile after I got it back in good shape, they'd look twice to make sure it wasnt him driving it. It has 73,000 miles on it and when it was semi permanantly parked in 73, it had 27,000 on it.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:20 PM
blackford85
Freshman User
Yea interior wise the truck looks like its never been driven. Almost the same with the exterior. I know I cood do the support brace pieces myself but idk about the cowl ends. I'm not a body guru but I'll see wat im gonna get myself into b4 I hack the ends off. One thing I like is the factory cargo light. It's cool to see the neat options they had on these old rigs. Another option it did have was an electric choke. I was really expecting a **** for that one. I guess the XLT package explains both the cargo light and the choke option.