Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Strange Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Badluck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Problem

Ok guys I got a strange problem with my truck now.... ever since I wired in the EBPV mod to work as an Exhaust brake every time I turn the brake on it shuts my Dptuner chip off?? The brake isn’t even connected to the computer anymore I completely unhooked it and am just running the powered switch to the EBPV.... is that bad..? I don’t see what im missing that would cause the Chip to shut off when i just the exhaust brake?? Anyone got any ideas im lost lol<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Old 11-06-2006, 07:56 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does your truck shut completely off? I didn't have any experience with wiring up an exhaust brake, so i was reading Kwikkordead's writeup, when i came to this:

Open hood and remove HPOP cover. Not really necessary but it makes the job easier if it's out of the way. Find a two wire plug at the bottom of the turbo housing just about dead below the intake "Y". It's pointed forward. Unplug it from the turbo. Get a test light and start the motor. To verify that you have unplugged the right plug test for power at the plug. One terminal will be ground (no light at all). The other terminal will be a weak 12v flashing signal that will make your test light flicker. Make note of the color code of the wire that has power. If that's the case, TURN OFF THE ENGINE, go ahead and cut the wires for that plug several inches back from the plug and set aside. Take measures to insulate the now bare wires coming out of the factory wiring harness. You don't want that 12v to go straight to ground and short out the ECU!

Last edited by PowerstrokeJunkie; 11-06-2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:59 PM
Badluck
Senior User
yea thats what I was following but I just disconnected the ECU from the thing entirely and shrink tubed the end so it didnt short the ECU... so I have just the switch wired to the EBPV and it will some times shut the truck of entirely but nost of the time it just shuts the chip off and then it comes back on

Old 11-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Badluck
Senior User
Ok so after lots of lookin and trying to figure this out the only thing I can come up with is that the Turbo backpressure sensor is causing some issues with the EBPV mod and its putting the truck in to failure mode and it resets the computer which in turn causes my chip to briefly turn off then back on.... Does this sound possible to anyone?? And does anyone else run a DpTuner with the EBPV mod as an exhaust brake?? and if so does your chip shut off?? Im confused as hell here and need to find a way to fix this, lol thanks for the help guys

Old 11-09-2006, 08:24 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if i were you i would make sure that you didnt mess up you connections, and none of the wires are shorted, i would check them 8 times now , since you have problem,,,and to be sure remove your DP tuner chip and clean connections again, cause looks like you have connections problem and from EBPV making more vibration it might happen
let us know if you found the problem

Old 11-09-2006, 11:37 PM
Badluck
Senior User
Ok so even though I was 100% sure I wasnt shorted anywhere I just went and checked again and double checked just to make sure and im still not shorting anywhere..... I checked the chip pulled it off, cleaned the contacts again and reinstalled it... still didnt fix anything...... Im stumped its only when I flip the switch for the EBPV and thats the only time it happens and it just turns everything off momentarily, the truck will stumble and then its good, once in a while it will actually shut the truck off too?? I have no idea where to go from here

Old 11-11-2006, 03:58 AM
Badluck
Senior User
anyone have any ideas im totally lost here

Old 11-11-2006, 10:09 AM
dsldrvr
Senior User
This will sound stupid but maybe check and clean your batterry terminal connections, after that check all ground connections for good hard electrical connection. It sounds like the extra load of accuating the EBPV is causing a momentary lag in current which pulls the voltage down enough to reset your chip maybe. pretty common with battery cables that haven't been cleaned in a while. Just a possibility.

Old 11-11-2006, 04:13 PM
Badluck
Senior User
huh havent thought of that yea.. ill have to check that one out and see if that fixes it thanks

Old 11-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Badluck
Senior User
Ok im really getting confused with this trucks electrics, lol Problem is still happening and now that I put the 07 lights on it every time I turn the high beams on it will reset the ecu also... anyone got something for me to check im running out of ideas lol

on a better note: I finally did my injector sleeves last week while I was on break and what a difference.. No more gallons of fuel in the coolant, runs smooth as silk, and sounds happier and the lights make it look so much better in my opinion

oh and here are some pix of the new lights
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ckfront005.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ckfront003.jpg<O</O