Sponsored by:

Increasing cabin airflow??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 09:38 PM
bigbeige
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Increasing cabin airflow??

I tried searching but had no luck with this one. I could use some advice on this one. My 91 xlt is not putting out much air from the vents. The fan works on all speed settings. The a/c is cold and the heat is warm. It just doesn't feel like the fan is moving the air like it should. The different settings work properly when switching from floor to vent to defrost etc. The flow switches to the right place but there is very little air movement. For example, with "vent" selected and the fan on high I can barely feel any air coming out. There is some but not nearly enough. It's the same for all the other positions, the air comes from the right place just not enough of it. The air flaps appear to be working properly because it is switching as it should. It almost seems like the fan is turning but not moving the air. Any idea what could be causing this???? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:59 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
First of all, welcome to FTE. You might post this question in the Cooling and heating forum. Someone can give you a diagram to help you trouble shoot your problem. You will be amazed about the information here.
Be alittle more specific with your problem. It could be the selector may not be working. or a vaccuum.

So, go to homepage, go to the gray bar under the FTE banner and look at the forums drop down, go to list, when page opens, scroll down to cooling heating
and post your new topic.

If all else fails. You can remove your Bronco top for increased air flow!
just joking! Someone will help you sortly.

Again welcome to FTE, see you in the posts.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:10 PM
bigbeige
New User
Oops! Sorry for posting in the wrong spot. I guess I need to get more familiar with the site. Thanks for the heads-up. Oh yaeh, topless is cool, a little too cool right now here in Jersey.(32 degrees)At least 'til I get the air flowing right.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:20 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't be sorry,You are not in the "wrong spot",(you have a Bronco, correct?), the other forums will get you an answer "faster and more accurately" Take your time looking around and reading the other posts and forums. There are good moderators here, they might have moved you anyway. (they can do that you know).

Some posts are truly helpful and serious and others are just plain fun.
After all this is FTE.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:35 AM
GypsyR
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You may have sticky vent doors or some other thing but what I would do first off is pull the fan motor. Remove the accummulated cat hair, pine needles, paper, leaves, and junk from it and the opening you pulled it from. It's amazing the kind of crap that can get in there. Costs nothing but a little time and labor. Then start looking elsewhere if you don't get any improvement. Any other work is a waste if the fan is clogged up. It sure happens.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:23 AM
460srule
Junior User
I think GypsyR has you on the right track.Sounds most likely to be a debri problem.I leanered awhile back to always try the easiest and least expensive fix first.99% of the time it seems to be the problem.Besides if it is not a debri problem,at least your air passages are clean.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:48 PM
bigbeige
New User
Thanks guys,

Do I have to remove the glove box opening to get to the fan?? I really need to get this little issue fixed. It rained all day today and I could really tell the airflow is lacking. The defroster could barely keep the windshield clear. I had to run it on high all day.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:22 PM
ALSAIR
Elder User
Pull the fan from the engine compartment, 3 or 4 screws. You can see the back of the motor, then pull it STRAIGHT out. If you look in the opening you will see the Evap coil. If the coil is clogged with debri, air-flow will be dramatically decreased. I have taken de-greaser and sprayed it on the coil and then taken a garden hose and washed it off starting at the top of the coil and working my way down. Be sure to use short burst's of the hose, and let it drain out through the drain hole after a couple blasts, then continue till all clean.
Alsair

Old 11-09-2006, 09:02 PM
bigbeige
New User
I found the problem! I pulled the fan as suggested and found that there was only a few leaves in there. Not nearly enough to block the flow. So I put it back in and turned it on high. I ran my hand around the "box" where the fan is and found that most of the air is escaping somewhere on the back side of the box near the firewall. I took the fan off again and looked inside the hole and I can see where the back of the bosorry I don't know the proper name for it) is busted. There's a piece missing about 1 inch wide and 2-3 inches tall. That's where the air is coming out.Any ideas on how to get that hole patched? Maybe I can cut a piece of hard plastic and glue it over the hole. Well that's my idea, anybody have any others? I'm always willing to listen. Thanks.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:11 AM
460srule
Junior User
DUCT TAPE to the rescue!!! LOL

Old 11-10-2006, 04:47 PM
bigbeige
New User
Smile

Hey 460srule, that may have been a joke but it just might do the trick!!

Old 11-10-2006, 05:16 PM
dwoodler
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the side of a oil or antifreeze jug with some silicone and some self tapping screws for patching holes. Just watch your length.

(it worked on the old 88 inner fender wells when it used to shoot water and crap at me while wheelin' or driving to work in the spring!!)