Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Coolant question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 03:33 PM
desert sled
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Coolant question

I am wondering about the correct usage and dosage of SCA to use in the cooling system of my 1994 F-350 IDI.How much SCA (DCA?) do I put into the coolant system and how often do I need to check the coolant with strips? the truck has 100,000 miles on it and i was wondering if i really need to use this additive. i am only putting on about 2000 miles a year on the truck and I use it mainly for towing my travel trailer on vacation. thanks for your help.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
There are several SCA's on the market.
Two entirely different formulations that are not compatable with each other, so which ever one you use you always have to use that same product.
There will be directions for the dosage needed on each one, follow the directions exactly.
The test strips have to be for the formula you use as well.

You could also use a precharged coolant that already has the SCA in it.

Test it every three months.

Towing means you are running the engine hard, the harder you run it the more the chances of cavitation go up.

Here is an article that answers a lot of questions about SCA and the DCA 4 formulation.
http://andersonimprovements.com/hobbies/truck/coolingsysservice.htm

Old 11-04-2006, 08:35 PM
Mr. Bob
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK... this article talks a lot about the 1994+ PSDs, but I would assume that this also applies to IDIs??

I have no idea what is currently in my truck for antifreeze... is it just safer to flush it out and put new stuff in??

Is it better mix my own or get a pre-mixed with SCA?? What brand should I go with??

Old 11-05-2006, 10:38 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
SCA's should be used in almost all diesel engines.
There are many people that have no idea what SCA's are, but when their engine fails they wish the did.
I have also found service departments that had no idea either.
Notice the part about silicates which protect aluminum, which is found in only a very few diesel engines.

I have run Ford Gold antifreeze and mixed in FW 16, I have also run red Caterpillar Extended Life pre mixed, and right now I am running FleetCharge premixed purple from NAPA.

All are low silicate and of the DCA 4 formulation.
The reason I am running FleetCharge is because it is available at more places and for longer hours than the Ford or Cat was.