Sponsored by:

#2 cylinder needs to be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 04:05 PM
pixelmation
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#2 cylinder needs to be replaced?

I just was told that the #2 cylinder that is a dead hole, oil fouled, could be replaced without replacing the engine. When I told my mechanic that, he said if you want to keep the truck, to have the engine replaced, otherwise the other cylinders will start going out within a month after having the one fixed. Is this all true? The other mechanic said that I am being ripped off by having the engine replaced. I appreciate your comments!

Denise

Old 11-03-2006, 04:27 PM
Netfly
Elder User
Sorry to hear of your problems. First ask if its a head problem or a bottom end problem. The mechanic should have compression tested each cylinder. Ask what he found. A good motor should have fairly consistant pressure on all cylinders. Oil fouled could just be bad valve seals or guides. How many miles on the motor? Don't throw parts at a 200k mi motor, but if it's under 100k then it may be worth saving. Ask specifically what he wants to replace. You can't replace a 'cylinder'. It could be a hole in the piston, one bad valve or valve spring or it may need the heads rebuilt. Hard to diagnose without seeing it. Get his prices for the job and know exactly what he thinks needs doing, then you can shop around.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:46 PM
justshootme84
Posting Guru
I would agree, most likely a problem in the head with a cracked/burnt valve, but if one cylinder has low to no compression, you're looking at tearing the engine down and boring out all 6 or 8 cylinders. If you have a good, trustworthy mechanic, ask him for estimates and what it'll cost to dis-assemble the engine to find the problem. Just check the simple things first, like spark plug wires&coil. You can also remove the oil filter, and cut it open to check for sludge or metal particles. IF you have low oil pressure, the engine smokes or burns alot of oil, those are some signs of a wornout motor.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:55 AM
pixelmation
New User
Yes, has blue smoke

Thanks for all your input...we decided because it is such a nice truck with a Bad a$$ paint job to go ahead and replace the engine. We want this truck to last us longer than just a few years!!

Thanks Again! Denise