1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Starting System

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 09:00 AM
skeleton
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting System

Currently, on my 1951 f-1, I am not getting any juice to the starter. Is the following correct?

First, one wire runs directly from the ignition switch (the post marked "coil" on the back of the ignition switch) to the coil.

Second, one wire runs directly from the starter button to the starter relay.

Third, the negative battery cable is connected to the the stater relay.

Fourth, the starter cable is connects the starter and the starter relay.

Also, can someone please explain how pressing the starter button gets juice to the starter cable via the starter rely.

Thanks.

Old 10-10-2002, 11:49 AM
Dan_the_Ford_Man
Junior User
Starting System

Skelton,
Sounds like you're all wired up correctly. All the starter button does is provide a ground to the relay. You can do the same thing with a clip lead. I'm guessing one of two things, a bad relay or the wrong type of relay. Did you change the starter relay? Some relays require voltage to the start terminal, others, like the original on your truck require ground. You can test it out by clip leading from the negative terminal on the battery to the start terminal on the starter relay. If it cranks, you've got the wrong type of relay. You can use that relay if you change your ignition switch to one that has a terminal that you can run a wire to that will provide voltage during crank and run. I probably should have asked if you're still running 6 volts. If you're not, this all gets more complicated (balast resistors and such).
Dan

Old 10-11-2002, 10:20 AM
skeleton
Junior User
Starting System

Dan~

Thanks for the input. I grounded a wire to the motor and then touched that wire to the starter relay terminal, where the starter wire is connected, and that caused the engine to crank. I assume something is wrong somewhere with my starter button wire.

Again, thanks for the help.

Old 10-12-2002, 06:13 AM
Dan_the_Ford_Man
Junior User
Starting System

You might also try a little contact cleaner on the starter button (available at hardware stores). It does a pretty good job and works great on old radios and TV's with scratchy volume ***** too!
Dan

Old 10-12-2002, 07:53 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Starting System