Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Help? This #@%! Thing Still Wont Start '00 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 07:30 PM
RMPC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm gonna hunt for that chip and pull it if I find one.. as to " Perform KOEO On-Demand Self Test and retrieve Continuous DTCs", how do I go about doing exactly that? If I had an open fuse or other power problems to the IDM wouldnt it not fire or try to start at all? I'm more tempted all the time to run down the Sheridan in the morning and get a FORD CPS and take the possible screwy Car Quest out . I've heard several bad things about em since I've become a member of this forum

Old 11-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The CPS is going to be the cheapest step at this point. I am not sure if Superchips can run the KOEO and KOER test but a laptop suite such as Autoenginuity or High end scanner like NGS or Solus can.

When you try to crank do you get ANY tach movement? if no then CPS if yes look to test on IDM. If the CPS is working you will get some tach register wether or not the IDM is firing since the crank is turning.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:50 PM
RMPC
Senior User
Yep I get tach movement and as stated earlier elsewhere in this thread.. the engine will start if I disconnect the GPR and give it a whiff of ether to get her going and it will continue to run but very rough as in maybe it would rather be a lopy four banger or something... throttle works etc but even after I cleared codes and got it running again the only code that I got back was the P0340 CPS one... it really sounds like crap when it is running. I've heard on here that Car Quest CPS can send a dirty signal causing symptoms like this.... It's gotta be CPS or IDM... sure would rather it be CPS cause it's sure a lot cheaper than the IDM and I dont know anyone with another 98 to 03 truck that I can rob the IDM out of to check and see.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:58 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
That how the CQuest CPS i got stuck with was sometime it would show tach sometimes not and the timing was way off and made it run like #@%!. I spent a month trouble shooting it from every angle I could think of. Ended up fixing it with a 60 buck Ebay OEM CPS in 15 minutes. I just couldn't make myself believe that a NEW CPS was causing the probs.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:40 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
IDM and CPS can be had on fleabay. I have bought both, CPS for around $50 and IDM for around $200.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:02 PM
RMPC
Senior User
Unhappy Latest Update on Non Starting 00 7.3

Well I just installed a brand new Ford OE CPS... Still no start. Disconnected GPR, fired it up on ether and it stayed running... Right bank all cylinders are hot, left bank all cylinders are dead. Shut truck off and re scanned for codes. This time the only code returned was P0603. NO OTHER CODES of any kind! Pulled left side valve cover gasket connector and re connected, no change... reminder...truck has brand new valve cover gaskets and UVC harness on both sides. When I pulled the "plug" on the left v cover harness I checked all injector terminals with a multimeter.... No voltage from any terminal...Does this sound like half the IDM went on vacation to anyone? I'm about bald from pulling my hair out on this one......

Old 11-02-2006, 04:08 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
I believe you are down to the IDM. If the Pass side has voltage and driver does not the IDM is the only thing that will cause that.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by RMPC
so I pull the valve covers and test continuity on every wire on both sides...ok ohm readings but I replaced valve cover gaskets and installed new harness on both sides anyhow. While under there I checked ohms across the coil of every injector... good 2.9 to 3.0 ohms across the board. Glow Plugs checked out OK as well... HPOP within 1/2 to 3/4 inch of being full, fuel filter housing full, lift pump works fine.
I thought I remembered them testing out OK before. Now what the heck has happened since then to cause them to be dead?????

Old 11-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
he was testing continuity before this last one was the voltage feed from the IDM to the Injectors

Old 11-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Oh, good eye Alan. RMPC did you check the voltage before?

Old 11-02-2006, 08:31 PM
RMPC
Senior User
Alas, but no... I didnt check for IDM to Injector voltage at the valve cover connections... I was preoccupied with the possibility of bad VC gaskets and or UVC harness problems and so, just checked continuity. Anyhow... went to Ford and picked up a new IDM right before closing time... I'll know in a few minutes whether that it IT... If it aint... I give up... I had even pulled the PCM and chucked the Western Diesel Chip and tried it as OEM PCM before I headed to town after the IDM.... no difference.... gotta be the IDM.... JUST HAS TO BE ! We'll know in a little while

Old 11-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Our collective fingers are crossed.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:40 PM
RMPC
Senior User
Talking Shazzzam ! The #@%! Thing Lives Again !!!!!

Installed IDM a few minutes ago, plugged it up, hooked the battery cables back up, twisted the key and it lit up on all eight and ran... no miss, no sputter and no puke. Now all I gotta do is take the PCM back out and put his chip back in it, reinstall the right side CAC tube and all the other little crap I still have off and send it home... QUICKLY! I called the owner and he is tickled to death.... may have heart failure when he gets the bill but for now he's happy... so am I.... I've learned a lot here and MANY THANKS to all of you out there that helped me diagnose this problem... This is the first time I've dived any deeper than a CPS in a powerstroke.... I can do Cummins forwards and backwards just about with a blindfold on but the Navistar DIT is a whole new venture for me.... Thanks Again

Old 11-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Great news, and I've logged it away in my central brain housing group. Unfortunately I will likely expereience error 404 when I try to recall it but I will try. Glad she's up and running.

BTW, what did the IDM cost?

Old 11-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Good Job RMPC

Tenn I have a feeling someone will be sitting in a tree in the AM with a very bad Headache

Quick Reply: Help? This #@%! Thing Still Wont Start '00 7.3