2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dodge Hemi to F150 FX4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 02:29 PM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought the XCT tuner, bumped the power up even on the 87 octane tune. I don't think you will be disappointed if you get the Ford.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:35 PM
ReForder
Fleet Mechanic
Received 170 Likes on 90 Posts
I agree with all the posts about the F150 being best truck on the road. Before buying the truck I rented a Dodge RAM crew for a week and an F150 Screw for a week (my other car was in the body shop, so I had an excuse). The F150 blew the doors off the Dodge in all areas, inside and out, suspensionwise, and powerwise (it wasn't a Hemi). The 04 5.4 was slow, a computer flash fixed that. The 05 5.4 has plenty of power and instant off the line performance. I have a Bassani exhaust and a Volant CAI, both of which make this thing sound sweet. I think performance would be much better with an Edge, which comes next spring, based on all the results the guys on these forums mention. You won't be sorry switching to the blue oval.

Old 10-31-2006, 04:30 PM
04 FX4 Lineman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whitecrystal1
It just sits on there with either velco or double sided tape it comes with. I run level 3, 93 octang unless I am towing my boat then I'm on level 2, 89 octang.
Have you read any threads on these things. There is a lot of good info and happy people. To bad we aren't close I'd let you borrow mine to see what it can do. It's worth every penny. The only thing better it the X-cal custom tunes. It will get you the most power, But you don't get the dash display with the gauges.
Thanx for the info think I will give it a try and hope I don't have to take it in for any warranty work, I am not looking for a race truck just a little more so when I merge on the freeway I don't get run over. I would really like the tranny temp guage and what ever others it will tell me.

Old 10-31-2006, 05:07 PM
the4by4freek
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 04 FX4 Lineman
Thanx for the info think I will give it a try and hope I don't have to take it in for any warranty work, I am not looking for a race truck just a little more so when I merge on the freeway I don't get run over. I would really like the tranny temp guage and what ever others it will tell me.
You won't be dissapointed with the Edge. The gauges make it worth it alone! You will definately feel a big difference in performance also.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:46 PM
04 FX4 Lineman
Elder User
Originally Posted by the4by4freek
You won't be dissapointed with the Edge. The gauges make it worth it alone! You will definately feel a big difference in performance also.
What should a man expet to pay for the edge ball park number???

Old 10-31-2006, 06:52 PM
whitecrystal1
Senior User
Originally Posted by 04 FX4 Lineman
What should a man expet to pay for the edge ball park number???
323.99 http://discountpowerparts.com/catalo...&products_id=7

Old 10-31-2006, 07:19 PM
hllon4whls
Elder User
I like everything about my 150 except the power and the air conditioner. It looks great, it is nice and solid handles well, etc. I think the 5.4 3v is a good engine. Needs a 5 or 6 speed tranny and I think it will be an outstanding truck. I have an 06 with 4k on it. POPS has an 04 with 31k. No issues except for 3rd brake light leaking.

We have a bunch of chevys at work. They are good solid trucks as well. I noticed that a couple of them have front end vibration. These are work trucks, so most of my techs dont have time or inclination to worry about it.

Friend has a 98 dodge 1 ton 5 speed cummins. So far so good. About 100k on it. Had battery problems, been broken into twice, tie rod end failed. Overall not to bad. The new dodge mega cab is sweet. Give me mine with a cumins and a 6 speed. The autos are junk. The interior is kinda odd and plain looking.

Probably more than you asked, but Im sitting outside by my self waiting for trick-or-treaters. Need something to do.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:00 PM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
[QUOTE=hllon4whls]I like everything about my 150 except the power /QUOTE]

Pop a tuner on it, sure wakes up the power.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:07 PM
marlin39d
Freshman User
I chose Ford because it seemed to have the best usable power of the big three. Plus I thought it would be the best truck from a reliabilty standpoint and it definately had Chevy and Dodge beat in the looks department.. So far I'm happy with it. It beats the heck out of my old pickup. I still have it, an XL F150 with the 300 six banger and 5 speed manual. So my new XLT F150 with the 5.4L is a step up in the power department for me.

I test drove Chevy and Dodge before I bought the F150 and I think I would have been pretty happy with the Chevy and could have lived with the Dodge but I hated the looks of the interior on it.

So that's my take on it...

1. Ford

2. Chevrolet/GMC

3. Dodge

Old 10-31-2006, 10:17 PM
1979FordF-250
Senior User
Talking

I am just going to put my opinion out here. If you want an all out fast truck then go and get the HEMI, which is an excelent motor and with the cylinder deactivation you will get much better highway milage. The HEMI also has a downfall that it makes its power at higher rpms, so if you do alot of towing than the 5.4 would be better, but an 18' boat and a pop up trailer is nothing for either of these trucks. Everybody has different tastes in the styling. I personally like the exteriors of both ford and dodge but not the chevy, and gmc looks alright. They all have nice interiors, but I would have to say ford probably has the best.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:44 AM
sjbusa
Freshman User
My 03 Hemi quad cab was stolen in addition to all my friends that have Rams. The rebates were excellent so I got the 04 F150 Lariat. Overall this is a great truck. We all know the hemi is faster but the pain at the pump was another story. I also disliked the lazy shifts in the hemi.

Interior of the Lariat was a major selling point for me. Just wish Ford would give us an engone equal to the hemi. This past weekend I rode in my friends Titan - engine has *****. Besides acceleration Ford has them all beat.

Comes down to personal choice - there both excellent trucks.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:28 AM
F0rdFre@K
Laughing Gas
I don't have any major complaints about the power in my truck. 05 F150 SC 4x4 Lariat w/ 5.4. So, I'm sitting pretty damn heavy and I don't get to whoop on all the cars on the street. But, she moves around nicely and does great on steep inclines with a heavy load in the bed. That was the most important factor to me.

Future plans are:

Tuner
Intake
Exhaust

No particular order. But, I will Dyno my truck after each mod to see exactly how much each mod increases my HP/Torque.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
Originally Posted by F0rdFre@K
Future plans are:

Tuner
Intake
Exhaust

No particular order. But, I will Dyno my truck after each mod to see exactly how much each mod increases my HP/Torque.
I'm anxious to see what you find, I bet the tuner does the most good, intake very little, exhaust some. What tuner you looking at, XCT or Edge or ?

Old 11-01-2006, 04:55 PM
marlin39d
Freshman User
FOrdFre@k,

Please do post back with dyno results on each modification done...this should be interesting.

For whoever cares I answered my own question today about curb weight on my truck.

For a 2006 SuperCab XLT F150 2wd 5.4L the weight was 5350 lbs. That's with 26 gallons of fuel onboard and no driver or load of any kind.

I can see where a CrewCab 4x4 equipped truck can go over 6000 lbs. with a full tank of gas very easily.

I think that is where we are losing the "zippy" feeling even though the new ones are rated at 300HP and 335 foot/lbs. of torque peaked. Or is it 345 foot/lbs. torque? Anyway it's the power/weight thing that drags down perceived performance but the weight and rigid frame is probably just one more reason the new half tons feel so dog-gone rock solid going down the road.

I'll still opt for a Ford no matter if it's an F-150 gasser or an F-250/F-350 diesel.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:43 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
while not as powerful in a seat of the pants feeling as the dodge, my 06 will do a burnout on command and has no problem overtaking and accelerating.

for the money, you are better off in a Ford. I looked at the Dodges before I bought my 06. The fit/finish was atrocious and so was the cab space. I am 6'4" and 260lbs. I couldn't fit in the dang seats on the Dodge. I actually have room for my butt in the F-150.

besides, I love Fords

Quick Reply: Dodge Hemi to F150 FX4?