Sponsored by: Moser

speedometer cable removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 04:16 PM
FordGuy1280
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedometer cable removal

I am trying to put in a stereo in my truck and the person that did it before me did a horible job of running the wires. I have the instrument cluster out but I can't figgure out how to remove the speedometer cable. I see that there is a plasic clip there but it doesn't look like it is holding it in and if I turn the cable it and the brass piece going into the cluster turns too. does anyone know how to remove it? I don't have my book here so I can't look it up. Any help would be great

Old 10-29-2006, 04:45 PM
armstrongfordtrucks
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
on that plastic end there's a piece sticking off to the side you squeeze and slide it out.ARMSTRONGFORDTRUCKS

Old 10-29-2006, 04:54 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
It's a squeeze & gently pull away type operation

Old 10-29-2006, 06:11 PM
Alvin in AZ
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I kick myself when I think about a $350 '74 F100 (Az truck) I passed up buying a couple years ago. :/

The original owner's son installed a stereo with a CD player in it and burned up the inside of the cab that night. The guy was still grieving in an odd sort of way. He picked it out and bought it off the lot when he was a kid.

Alvin in AZ

Old 10-30-2006, 01:06 PM
FordGuy1280
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, I tried the squeeze and gently pull thing, ,then I tried the pull pretty hard thing then I tried the pry with a screwdriver thing and then I just did the heck with it thing and moved it out of the way thing. never did get it off. too scared I would break it.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:26 PM
Alvin in AZ
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FordGuy1280
well, I tried the squeeze and gently pull thing, ,then I tried the pull pretty hard thing then I tried the pry with a screwdriver thing and then I just did the heck with it thing and moved it out of the way thing. never did get it off. too scared I would break it.
LOL :)

It's just one of those things after you get it out and look at it, it'll be easy after that. I've check things out like that before at pullyourownpartsplaces to the see how they were put together etc. Not on my old pickup but for friend's and relative's newer stuff.

That's a pet peeve of mine how Haynes etc re-print over and over how to rebulid an engine but will skip transmissions or interior molding removal and stuff like that a guy really could use some help with.

Bought 4 speakers for my GF's 96 Tbird from Crutchfield... man oh man were the instructions and illustrations great or what? :) There was no mystery to any of the interior moulding's hidden fastners at all. None got broken off as a result.

Alvin in AZ

Old 10-30-2006, 03:13 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The biggest problem is people try too hard or are too forceful instead of being gentle with stuff.

Removing:
Speedo cable from out of speedo
Headlight switch shaft
Removing door panels & the spring clips from door panels
Removing dome light lens

are a few things that fit into this category.