Sponsored by: DP Tuner

My Biodiesel is Gone for the Winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 08:37 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy My Biodiesel is Gone for the Winter

I called my local station today to ask a question about my fuel card and got on the topic of fuel. I was asking where they had Bio available in town (if they had it at the bulk plant), and was informed that they have removed Bio (B5) from the pumps for the winter. Apparently they are having problems with the fuel in the cold temps. I said I didn't think the B5 would have a problem, and was told that they are having problems with the new ULSD fuel and the mix in the winter time.

So, not only is my Bio gone for the winter, but the ULSD is now being phased in. Looks like I will be once again buying additives - at least through the winter.

I don't know if other suppliers are like this with their Bio, but thought you all might want to know. The pumps aren't labeled any different either, so I wouldn't have known if I hadn't called for a different reason.

Old 10-27-2006, 08:47 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah man, that sucks! even just running B5 will help replenish that crap that gets taken out when they take all that sulfur out. I do not know how they think that the b5 will gel. I would think that even b20 would be safe for winter use. Hmm?

Old 10-27-2006, 08:56 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
B5 shouldn't gel. But, they said it was something with the new ULSD and mixing the bio in with it that was causing problems. The old diesel didn't have a problem. It's that new crap, the ULSD that's causing the problem.

Old 10-28-2006, 01:25 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Damn, I wish I could cry like u all. Bio is nowhere to be found around here, and being we are 20 years behind makes things doubtful.

Old 10-28-2006, 01:50 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, don't sweat it, it's nowhere to be found here either. Now I don't miss it as it was never here anyway.

Old 10-28-2006, 08:56 AM
bhiggins
Senior User
I make it myself so I have no issues finding it..............It's in the storage tank where I left it

Old 10-28-2006, 10:49 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well I make my own for the PSD, but the place we were buying bio for the semi did the same thing and quit carrying it for the winter so we have to just run the ULSD in the semi (I am not putting my bio in a company truck) but the company has no problems with paying for additives so I will just start doing that again.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:02 PM
warrens250
Senior User
Originally Posted by jtharvey
I called my local station today to ask a question about my fuel card and got on the topic of fuel. I was asking where they had Bio available in town (if they had it at the bulk plant), and was informed that they have removed Bio (B5) from the pumps for the winter. Apparently they are having problems with the fuel in the cold temps. I said I didn't think the B5 would have a problem, and was told that they are having problems with the new ULSD fuel and the mix in the winter time.

So, not only is my Bio gone for the winter, but the ULSD is now being phased in. Looks like I will be once again buying additives - at least through the winter.

I don't know if other suppliers are like this with their Bio, but thought you all might want to know. The pumps aren't labeled any different either, so I wouldn't have known if I hadn't called for a different reason.
Sounds like horse pucky and bull tacky to me. "Problems" is not exactly very informative. Find out where the ULSD comes from and ask them about exactly what the problem is. Sometimes some administrative SOB will decide something based on a rumor as long as it doesn't cost hime anything.
Warren

Old 10-28-2006, 09:08 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
They were actually pretty helpful. I was speaking to someone who didn't know much technical information. But, she did tell me I can call the lab to find out exactly what the deal is. It's a local company (MFA), not some major oil company. Either way, I can't do anything about it. My local source of bio is gone for the winter.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:41 PM
warrens250
Senior User
They were actually pretty helpful. I was speaking to someone who didn't know much technical information. But, she did tell me I can call the lab to find out exactly what the deal is. It's a local company (MFA), not some major oil company. Either way, I can't do anything about it. My local source of bio is gone for the winter.
Cold weather covers more of the map than just your town. This could be a much bigger problem than just yours. Get me a phone number for the station or the lab and I'll follow up on it, then post the results here. If its jelling at 5% maybe 2% would be ok. If its jelling at 10 degrees and they are simply being cautious they might be willing to give a little. It sure can't hurt to follow up and learn a little. I tried Googling MFA in Columbus, but all I turned up was some Farmer Cooperative.
Warren

Old 10-28-2006, 10:09 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
MFA is a farmers organization of some sort, I believe it's the Missouri Farmer's Association, but not positive. If you googled Columbus instead of Columbia, it may have given you some different info. Anyhow, here's a link to their homepage: http://www.mfaoil.com/index.asp

Their phone number is on the main page, as well as a link to email technical questions to them. I'd be curious to see what you come up with.

Old 10-28-2006, 10:34 PM
warrens250
Senior User
MFA is a farmers organization of some sort, I believe it's the Missouri Farmer's Association, but not positive. If you googled Columbus instead of Columbia, it may have given you some different info. Anyhow, here's a link to their homepage: http://www.mfaoil.com/index.asp

Their phone number is on the main page, as well as a link to email technical questions to them. I'd be curious to see what you come up with.
Thanks Jeremy. I sent them an inquiry by email, and will follow up with a call on Monday.
Warren

Old 10-29-2006, 04:39 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
im getting bio here in the white mts nh..just filled up yesterday..i asked him about jelling with the b20..he asured me i will have no problems...corse this was a month ago he told me this...is this something new???

Old 10-29-2006, 09:50 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Ron, I don't know if anything new has developed from a month ago. Also, it's my understanding that my bio supplier, locally owned MFA Oil, mixes their own. There are signs on the pump that say they use Missouri Soy Beans to make the biodiesel. Once we hear what Warren finds out from them, it will help to tell more about what's up. But, if your station said it's ok, it probably is. Wouldn't hurt to double check with them though.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:58 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Ron, I don't know if anything new has developed from a month ago. Also, it's my understanding that my bio supplier, locally owned MFA Oil, mixes their own. There are signs on the pump that say they use Missouri Soy Beans to make the biodiesel. Once we hear what Warren finds out from them, it will help to tell more about what's up. But, if your station said it's ok, it probably is. Wouldn't hurt to double check with them though.
thanks alot..he did tell me him another guy from vt had it figured out last year how to make it not jell..they had to try difernt things..but he said he felt good enouph that he went fron b10 to b20 now..but i will for sure check into this thanks for the heads up..

Quick Reply: My Biodiesel is Gone for the Winter