Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Too Many Options = Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 09:29 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ponyboychris
Rick, note to self... remove Miller Lite can before closing hood...

Don't worry Chris, nothing, I mean nothing is going to happen to that can, other then me drinking it.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ah, good man. I'm known to leave my beer places and would not surprised one day to close my hood on one sitting on the battery or something.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:28 AM
dcwhipple
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, good man. I'm known to leave my beer places and would not surprised one day to close my hood on one sitting on the battery or something.
I just replaced the oil in my differential last weekend. After sealing it up with new RTV did a rag count...1,2,uhhhhhhhh...#3 was still in there! Doh!

Just another sign of senior-itis

Old 07-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dcwhipple
I just replaced the oil in my differential last weekend. After sealing it up with new RTV did a rag count...1,2,uhhhhhhhh...#3 was still in there! Doh!

Just another sign of senior-itis
I'm laughing with you, not at you... At least you had the presence of mind to still count to 3. Imagine the mess that would have caused getting wrapped up in the ring gear...

Old 07-22-2008, 10:56 AM
dcwhipple
Junior User
I'm laughing with you, not at you... At least you had the presence of mind to still count to 3. Imagine the mess that would have caused getting wrapped up in the ring gear...
Needless to say...I paid MUCH closer attention when I did the front!

Old 07-22-2008, 10:18 PM
oldgameandfishdiesel
Junior User
Where can i get an air filter cover like the one on page three of the thread? and i have heard that covers like that can cut off airflow to the point of melting things becouse there is no air flow.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:02 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Send a PM to F250_.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:20 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by oldgameandfishdiesel
Where can i get an air filter cover like the one on page three of the thread? and i have heard that covers like that can cut off airflow to the point of melting things becouse there is no air flow.
filtercovers@gmail.com is Pete's email. Send him a message and he'll gladly get back to ya. I believe he's got a website now so you can see the different stuff he's making now.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:31 AM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
So, I have been reading on what's next to convince my dad to do to his PSD next...

1. He's got a drop in K&N. Right now, aparently it's looked down upon. But that ugly 6637 is not even COLD AIR? It's sucking up HOT engine heat. I understand it's got big surface, and filters great.... hot air doesn't matter with PSD? What gives?

2. I heard that changing out turbo impeller makes it sound killer and picks up some boost, is that true?

His truck is: '02 PSD 6-speed manual, K&N drop-in, MBRP 4", Diablo +54/+74hp chip (bought back in '03). I ran it, 16.7 @ 85MPH at 6000ft (Bandimere Speedway).

3. Does high-alt affect boost on a PSD, like it does with my Mustang?

Ex, I lose 0.5PSI of blower boost per 1000ft of alt. 6000ft = 3PSI of loss then I have to pulley accordingly to make up loss.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:53 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Originally Posted by ceetwarrior
So, I have been reading on what's next to convince my dad to do to his PSD next...

1. He's got a drop in K&N. Right now, aparently it's looked down upon. But that ugly 6637 is not even COLD AIR? It's sucking up HOT engine heat. I understand it's got big surface, and filters great.... hot air doesn't matter with PSD? What gives?

2. I heard that changing out turbo impeller makes it sound killer and picks up some boost, is that true?

His truck is: '02 PSD 6-speed manual, K&N drop-in, MBRP 4", Diablo +54/+74hp chip (bought back in '03). I ran it, 16.7 @ 85MPH at 6000ft (Bandimere Speedway).

3. Does high-alt affect boost on a PSD, like it does with my Mustang?

Ex, I lose 0.5PSI of blower boost per 1000ft of alt. 6000ft = 3PSI of loss then I have to pulley accordingly to make up loss.

1. A diesel engine sucks way more air then a gas engine, and the K&N filter lets dust in which can damage the turbo wheel. I would remove it asap. The air under the hood while traveling is not much different then the outside air.

2. Changing out the turbo wheel to a WW wheel will not give you more boost. They push less boost so as not to get turbo surge. The do have a good whistle to them. I have heard.

3. I don't think the alt makes a great difference with our boost. I do know there are people that have had their trucks tuned for the higher alt.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:28 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Sitting still, yes, you will get warmer air than what is available outside the hood. Once moving though, the difference is negligible. One of our members here is an incredible engineer and did incredibly thorough testing to prove this point. "ernesteugene" is his name here, but you better have plenty of time to read his posts. They are T H O R O U G H. And highly appreciated by the community!

If he has an early 99 then he already has the "Wicked Wheel" (WW) from the factory. Late-99's & up have a different one, but changing to the WW is relatively simple (though not very comfy to do unless you remove the turbo completely from the engine.

You will get more turbo whistle.
You will lose ~2lbs. of boost (negligible unless you really want to drag race)
You will likely eliminate all surge.

You should also consider getting gauges on your A-pillar to monitor boost & EGTs (Exhaust Gas Temperatures) to monitor your engine, especially since you're towing at altitude.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:38 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought there was a mod where you cut or drill through part of the bay where it rests so that it pulls cold air from the back of the filter when at rest. It's different than the zoodad mod.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:33 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by miller_feed
1. A diesel engine sucks way more air then a gas engine, and the K&N filter lets dust in which can damage the turbo wheel. I would remove it asap. The air under the hood while traveling is not much different then the outside air.

2. Changing out the turbo wheel to a WW wheel will not give you more boost. They push less boost so as not to get turbo surge. The do have a good whistle to them. I have heard.

3. I don't think the alt makes a great difference with our boost. I do know there are people that have had their trucks tuned for the higher alt.
Rick is spot on with the above advice. I will add that the reason the K&N DROP IN is looked down upon is that the stock airbox configuration does not seal well. The little clips and tabs tend to break with the K&N because the lip of the K&N is larger than that of a stock paper filter and it will not seal, thus allowing unfiltered air into your turbo wheel wich is spinning at 100,000 rpm+. Those small dust particles actually sand blast the wheel and get ingested into the engine.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:01 PM
stormyrider
Elder User
I don't like the K&N on diesels, let too much dirt through over time. I did the ZOODAD modification and went with the Ford upgraded air intake. This improves air flow, maintains factory grade filtration, gets you outside air to the filter and gives excellant access to the drivers side battery compared to OEM.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:18 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Thanks guys, I'll look into the filter situation some more.

I forgot to mention we did install a EGT gauge. Haven't had it up over 1300* for long and always let it cool to 300-340* before turning motor off.

I haven't looked into turbo surge... and don't yet know what it is. But truck doesn't do anything out of ordinary... except for going over 100MPH in which the speedo resets to 0, LOL.

Quick Reply: Too Many Options = Confusion