1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

?????????Getting pins out of those doors????????

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 07:46 PM
billb7984
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello friends
I was told to ask this question on this site,I have a 47 ford pickup ,and I want to take those hinge pins out of the doors ,what is the best way to do it,it looks like they have been in there along time!!

thanks for the help Bill B

Old 11-09-2002, 09:28 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-Nov-02 AT 10:30 PM (EST)]One way is to tape a piece of dense cardboard on the door, get a drift or long punch and drive them upward, keeping the hammer against the cardboard. They have a knurled shoulder in the top hinge section that has a tendency to rust in place. Also wear often makes them offset instead of a straight pin and they can hang up on opposing sections of the hinge.

Second way (the way I did mine after trying the above method) is to grind off the cap carefully and then even more carefully drill out the pin. I drilled as far as I could down the center and used a piece of welding rod as a long punch to finish driving them down thru the hinge.

Either way, use liberal applications of WD40 or PBlaster, etc.

Old 11-13-2002, 09:09 PM
Craig
Senior User

Old 11-15-2002, 02:10 PM
51f1
Senior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 15-Nov-02 AT 03:19 PM (EST)]I used similar approach as mtflat, except I drove them up:
Grind the head off.
Center punch the top of the remainder of the pin.
I forget the diameter of your pin, but you want a drill bit diameter that allows you to drill down into the top of the pin leaving as little wall as possible, while not damaging your hinge.
Drill down into the pin approx. .5" to get past the knurling that mtflat told you about.
The bottoms of my pins had been peened. Just a touch with my angle grinder removed this.
The drilling you did will allow the pin to collapse upon itself when you drive the pin UP and out.

I must agree.....plenty of your favorite flavor of penetrating oil!

Good-luck

Old 11-16-2002, 04:27 PM
irondragon79
Posting Guru

I actually just came in from the garage, and just got my pins out of my 52 (VICTORY IS MINE!!) what I ended up doing was taking my angle grinder and took the heads off the pins.. I center punched the top and started a 1/8 pilot hole about half an inch in. I then took a bit (forgot what size) that was just smaller than the diameter of the pin and drilled it down that half inch as well... Took a punch and a hammer (20 oz) and after a few good hits the pins slipped down and out, no oil needed.

Jon