N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

What have you done to your Ford lately?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 09:12 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TigerDan
Let's see...I rebuilt the front end on my '68, using one-ton I-beams and new polyurethane bushings. I also converted from a Bendix P/S box to a Saginaw and the ol' beast now tracks better than it has since I've had it (as tested in the "Long Trip Home" thread.)

BTW Andy, I finally got down to Oakland on Monday and picked up the boat parts from my buddy Steve. Thanks again...
That's all?

Damn...I was thinking you would have done a frame-off in Elko.

Slacker.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
LOL. We did a frame off as well over the weekend, only it was removing a beat up 4Runner body off of a frame. My roommate is going to make a rock crawler out of the frame and recycle the body.

I'm glad you got the parts Dan. Someone actually offered me money after seeing the post, but since I had already agreed to give them to you, you got em.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:19 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Charge his butt anyway...remember, it's his fault

Old 05-31-2007, 02:16 PM
Keepin It Real
Elder User
I replaced the rear brake hose on my '73 F100. I had no idea how that thing was configured till I actually took it apart. Pretty strange I thought.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:09 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
Originally Posted by WillyB
Yes it was for you - and I have been trying to get someone to go to the Delta fishing with me - I want to hit the ship canal and catch a whale!
Anytime Clint.... I've been looking for a camping / fishing / beer drinking buddy for a while. People are just too busy. I'm lucky, I plan my life to do the things I want to do with consideration for others ..... if that makes sense.

Just let me know if your willing to split the expenses of gas, camping and food. I'll cover the rest. ;-)

AJ

Old 06-05-2007, 09:21 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Last Sunday I started to take off the engine peripherals like starter, water pump and other parts that get to stay behind. I then got my truck towed to my neighbors shop to pull the engine, which he did today. Now I have to arrange transport of the engine to the rebuilder. In the meantime I will get it towed back to my home and I can work on other parts of the truck while waiting for the engine to return.

Anyone try using fiberglass to repair non-weight bearing body parts (the truck, not me )? There are a few parts on the back of the cab that faces the bed that would be tough to weld a patch into. The repair does not have to look good, just to hold up. I probably should post this question in the body forum, but hope one of my nor cal friends have an answer.

Last edited by fastmover; 06-05-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:44 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fastmover
. . . . Anyone try using fiberglass to repair non-weight bearing body parts (the truck, not me )? There are a few parts on the back of the cab that faces the bed that would be tough to weld a patch into. The repair does not have to look good, just to hold up. I probably should post this question in the body forum, but hope one of my nor cal friends have an answer.
Don't do it - it works for a bit, but the edges continue to rust, and the fiberglass holds the moisture in, against the metal of the patch area. It is just a quick easy patch people use when they are going to sell the vehicle.

It is only 6 or 8 bolts to take the box off and slide it back enough to work on the back of the cab. Cut and grind until you have clean, rust free metal. If you do not want to weld the patches in, you can use some of the new glue - nowdays even the factories use it and it is as strong a joint as welding.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:54 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
... If you do not want to weld the patches in, you can use some of the new glue - nowdays even the factories use it and it is as strong a joint as welding.
Is the stuff as strong as a weld? I may use it to put in my floor pans then.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:34 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Yea it can be - - - check out http://www.old-fords.com/welding/glue.htm. you will need to use FTE as a user name and weld as a password.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The glue works great as Clint stated. I saw them even use it on Trucks TV Show. They made some inner pieces and glued them inside the cut out area. They left the pieces with edges protruding into the hole so the patch panel had nice wide surfaces to stick to. Note: they did canfer the edges of the cab and the patch so that they would not show through the body filler. Good luck, Jag

Old 06-06-2007, 10:34 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Jag Red, you ever find a 56 sedan? I liked your idea of grafting the fins and tail lights to a box.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:40 AM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Thanks Jag Red and Clint. I will give this a try. I don't think I need to worry about putting a canfer in the edge since none of these parts are visible (floor pan, underside of cab...etc.) Would this stuff work on a weight bearing part like the front cab mounts?

Old 06-06-2007, 10:56 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
I would do as best job I could, not because it shows but so I could learn how to do it when it does show.

I intend to use it on doorskins and other flat panels - but would weld any structural repairs. It is too new a product for me to trust it everywhere.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Jag Red, you ever find a 56 sedan? I liked your idea of grafting the fins and tail lights to a box.
LOL. You remind of a "vehicle" I saw on the freeway in San Jose recently. It had EL CAD on the license plate and was, it appeared, an older mazda pickup with late 50's but not 59 Cadillac fins grafted along the sides of the bed. He must really be hounded by the ladies in that thing.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:52 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
The engine is out and waiting to be shipped. I used the advice from this forum and found a shipper at uship.com. Imagine ebay for shipping. I post what I want shipped and where to send it then shipping companies bid for it. I will tell you how it goes. The lowest bid from a reputable shipper was $295 one way. mot others were between $400-$900.

While the engine is out, I am going to paint the firewall with some special hi temp/sound deadening paint. I will also paint the front axle. I am also in the market for some inner fenders.

How is everyone else doing?

Quick Reply: What have you done to your Ford lately?