Brake/Hazard problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 05:31 PM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake/Hazard problem

Hi all, I have an 89 F250 diesel with 256k miles and lots of wiring problems. I have been able to search and find answers to most of my problems, but no luck on this one. A friend pointed out to me the other day that my brake lights are not working. I checked the fuse and it is fine, but I did notice that the current fuse is a 30 and the fuse block diagram calls for a 15. So I got out my test meter and checked the brake switch, which seems to be working fine. Then for some reason I just happened to test the voltage at the fuse and there is nothing. I pulled the manual switch on my trailer brake controller which back feeds power into the brake light circuit and sure enough I have brake lights when I manually hit the trailer brakes. I pulled out all the wiring diagrams I have and they only show after the fuse box, but everything after the fuse box seems to be working like it should. So there are two wires going to fuse #1, a yellow and a white with some other color which I can't remember off the top of my head. Does anyone have any wiring diagrams to show where the wire runs between the battery and the fuse block? I am guessing I probably have a fried wire someplace. Thanks for any help.
Oh also, anyone know where I can get a EVTM for this truck? I have one for my 96 Ranger and love it, but I cannot remember the website where I bought it from.

Last edited by GonzoCSU; 10-23-2006 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:42 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 235 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by GonzoCSU
Oh also, anyone know where I can get a EVTM for this truck? I have one for my 96 Ranger and love it, but I cannot remember the website where I bought it from.
You can get a EVTM from HELM Inc. Just do a search for HELM on the web.

This should be close to your fuse box power.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9.../PowerDist.jpg

Old 10-24-2006, 09:04 AM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh yes Helm is where I got my last EVTM, not sure why I couldn't remember that. Thanks for the diagram that helps out a lot. I traced that yellow wire a few weeks ago when I was having different electrical problems and I know it has power coming into the cab, and my horn and door locks work so I guess I am going to have to start digging around in the mess of wires under the dash.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:19 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 235 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by GonzoCSU
Ahh yes Helm is where I got my last EVTM, not sure why I couldn't remember that. Thanks for the diagram that helps out a lot. I traced that yellow wire a few weeks ago when I was having different electrical problems and I know it has power coming into the cab, and my horn and door locks work so I guess I am going to have to start digging around in the mess of wires under the dash.
It sounds like the problem is on the backside of the fuse panel if the horn and door locks work.