1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Engine in Truck ! Done ! Next ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 03:43 PM
Kai
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 30-Dec-02 AT 04:44 PM (EST)]YES, the engine/tranny combo is where it belongs !!!

Before:

http://www.ford.gmxhome.de/f100pic16.jpg

After:

http://www.ford.gmxhome.de/f100pic20.jpg

Engine and tranny are exact (position, level, height) where they belong. Driveshaft is mounted, too. Plenty of space for radiator / fan.

See my new web site for more pics: http://www.ford.gmxhome.de

Done ! Next ?

Now I am working on the tranny x-member. Just have the rubber mount ($10) and 3 ft. square tube. Everything is cut already. Welding and test mounting tomorrow. Stay tuned.:-)

10:50pm. I go to bed now. Good night.

Old 12-30-2002, 04:45 PM
Gwilkrrs
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

kai, im so very jealouse! it looks so good! web site looking good too!

Old 12-30-2002, 05:50 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

Kai

Very good Kai. Now when are you going to pull the engine back out? Don't tell us everything is cool the first go. We don't believe you.

'fenders

Old 12-30-2002, 07:58 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Engine in Truck ! Done ! Next ?

Very nice work, Kai. I'm enjoying the updates and the pics are great. himmelberg

Old 12-30-2002, 08:36 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 30-Dec-02 AT 09:46 PM (EST)]Kai,

it looks great...except for one thing... there is too much free space in the engine compartment... this will lead to uncontrollable yearning for more torque... unAmerican conservation of fossil fuels... extreme embarrassment when your lunch is eaten by BBF driven trucks and sleepless nights caused by lack of displacement.

But don't be alarmed... there is an easy and foolproof cure for all of the above ailments... yes it's true, friend I said easy AND foolproof !!! Run don't walk to your nearest salvage yard (ok, so its 3000 miles away, that's easy isn't it ??) and slap down the cash for a 460...

Now build that hog for max torque and h.p. ****** out that wimpmotor and slide the big hog in the hole... you'll feel 100% better and it will improve your personality and make you more attractive to women and the envy of all who live in SBF land... and as an added bonus... it will just about double your coolness...

besides you know you got to take it out and fix what didn't work when you put it in the first time.. fenders nailed you... nothing works the first time...

now.... where's my torch !!! I need to change something

Nice job and looks great

john (I'm just too cool... I'm a BBF Fool)

Old 12-30-2002, 09:31 PM
BELLM
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kai, looks good!!! Don't forget to put the trans in park before test firing. This is a sharp looking truck!

John, this is just the starter motor for the 460 he is going to install. They do things different in Germany.

Old 12-30-2002, 10:02 PM
rebellforever
Senior User
Post Engine in Truck ! Done ! Next ?

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 30-Dec-02 AT 11:52 PM (EST)]nice job KAI.
lookin nice.
i think you and GEORGE are gonna be in a battle now.
but george can take his time while you are almost done.

swanny

Old 12-30-2002, 10:39 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts

So get it out of the garage Slick and we'll line 'em up - wanna' drag?

Old 12-31-2002, 06:49 AM
Kai
Elder User

Hey, Thanx everyone for the kind words.

'fenders, right now I see no reason to believe that something should or could go wrong. But we all know Murphy. The only thing that may give me some head scratching are the headers as I still have part of the original engine/tranny x-member in there. Maybe I need to cut it out completely. We'll see.

John, BBF, been there, done that. My ultimate dream engine right now is a stroked 351W. Just like my buddy runs in his 55 F100. One reason to think about staying small is that the gas prices are going to rise again tomorrow. And we are already at approx $4.30 for the gallon.

Swanny, ... nop, not gonna wrestle with George. He's bigger, taller, heavier, ... than me.

Tim, ... I'll race you after you have won over the BBF John. He's the one looking for trouble.

Thanx again and have a safe New Year. Mine will start in about 10h 5 min. ....

Old 12-31-2002, 09:47 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

>nice job KAI.
>lookin nice.
>i think you and GEORGE are gonna be in a battle now.
>but george can take his time while you are almost done.
>
>swanny

Well Swanny, I have no interest in trying to finish Earl before Kai finishes the Orange Monster. He's a man on a mission and I'm lost every time I start a new part of the restoration process. Takes me a long time to read enough and ask enough questions so I know what to do.

Well done, Kai. It really looks great! I admire your ability to get this project done so well and so quickly given the fact you don't have easy access to all the truck parts that we do in the states. That's a very impressive accomplishment!

Old 12-31-2002, 10:18 AM
rebellforever
Senior User

George you still got alot of time and you can take as long as you want.
but i think there will be a competition between you and KAI when yours is done.
they both look real great(so far).

swanny

Old 12-31-2002, 02:48 PM
Surefoot
Freshman User

That's a good looking truck. Your'e farther along than me......... Will it run???? w/a blue engine?????
Surefoot......

Old 12-31-2002, 05:19 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

Kai

I hope that I am kidding about removing the motor again. If you don't listen to anything else I ever suggest, give this advice consideration... Tack weld everything until you have most of the important stuff lined up like the radiator etc. Don't weld up anything tight until its right. You don't really have this luxury with a Volare unfortunately. The crossmember you are using is wonderful for minor mount location corrections. Take advantage of it. Take your time and don't commit too early for final positioning.

Swanny

George has made it very clear here in the past that he has no racing truck dreams. He said he was just going to run over the wimpy F100s and F1s driven by the board smart alecks. As I recall, 'fenders and MT Flat were specifically singled out for the "Big Earl" treatment. Niolon is asking for it too the way I see it. Luckily for us, Earl is very slow so we will be OK.

'fenders

Old 01-01-2003, 04:04 AM
Kai
Elder User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 01-Jan-03 AT 05:06 AM (EST)]Dave,

... I am afraid having to tell you that the engine will not stay Ford blue (but will be black) and those shiny golden Moroso valve covers will also make room for a set of stock painted black. I will also paint or powder coat the intake manifold black.

'fenders,

... nothing is welded yet. I totally agree with what you say. Good for me is that I have a driveshaft which was used on a SBF / C4 combo before and that mounted to my rearend / tranny / engine will give me the exact position. I checked two driveshaft web sites (Dannys for example) and there they tell you that the slip (i.e. how far the driveshaft joke should stick out of the tranny) should be no less than 3/4" and no need for more than 1". All that with the rearend being bottomed out (i.e. frame jaked up with rear hanging loose on the springs). Unfortunately it was too late for me to take their considerations for pinion angle into account. But first look tells me I should be OK.

What I really do not like about the engine x-member is that you actually bolt it in, weld it there and you cannot get it out again for painting. Even with all bolts out I guess it is stuck between the frame rails. I am thinking of cutting it in half after I have completely welded it while mounted in the frame and then dream up a way to bolt it back together right in the middle. My buddy next door has some good tooling machines and guess we'll find a solution unless one here on the forum has a better idea. Maybe I'll make it a separate post later today.

Old 01-01-2003, 09:36 AM
BELLM
Senior User

Good idea. You could cut a section out of the center of the crossmember fabricate 4 pieces of 3/16" plate, square or triangle shaped, drill 4 bolt holes, or 3 if triangle, in all pieces of plate, shorten crossmember to compensate for the thickness of the 4 pieces of plate, weld plate to cut ends of crossmember, use some of those stainless bolts you were talking about and bolt it back together. Sorry my feeble brain doesn't think metric

Quick Reply: Engine in Truck ! Done ! Next ?