1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Overdrive for '53 and kingpin bearing kits

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 06:31 PM
stewards68
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overdrive for '53 and kingpin bearing kits

Sorry for the double question. Have a '53 F100 which is cherry, but 50 yrs old. About as original as it gets.

Number one, I see that while my truck has a simple 3 speed, a 3OD was available. I need one! Any info on where one of these units might be available to add-on, or what other cars/trucks had similar units that might bolt up?

Number two, I see rumors of a needle bearing replacement for kingpin bushings. Where can I find these for my '53, and are they worth the extra expense??

Thanks!!

Old 10-10-2006, 07:15 PM
alanco
Senior User
OD for a Slant Cab

Originally Posted by stewards68
Sorry for the double question. Have a '53 F100 which is cherry, but 50 yrs old. About as original as it gets.

Number one, I see that while my truck has a simple 3 speed, a 3OD was available. I need one! Any info on where one of these units might be available to add-on, or what other cars/trucks had similar units that might bolt up?

Number two, I see rumors of a needle bearing replacement for kingpin bushings. Where can I find these for my '53, and are they worth the extra expense??

Thanks!!

Do a search for recent threads on OD units. Your 3 sp can have an OD added to it. The Borg Warner OD was used on Ford Passenger, Mercury, Studebaker. Since the Passenger Ford used a different main drive gear (spline size) it can't be substituted, but its OD can be bolted on the back of your 3 SP. Also be sure to get an OD that is a 6V unit (before 1956) for your 53.

I have never heard of Needle bearing Kingpin bearings. Be aware that there are ways to attach rack and pinion steering gears to a beam axle, and if you keep the engine weight down standard kingpin bushings and a manual rack will do very well on a beam axle.

Regards,

Alanco

Old 10-10-2006, 07:41 PM
stewards68
Senior User
Will do. I'm hoping to find just the OD unit itself to add on, so do I understand correctly that a passenger car unit will fit? Also, the truck has been converted to 12V, so I'm assuming I want a 12V unit.

One main concern with the standard type kingpin bushings was the ability to install them. I keep seeing people imply that they require machining and other problems. I'm keeping the stock 215 6cyl., so weight isn't an issue. Was planning on a disc upgrade but stock steering with rebuild...

Old 10-10-2006, 07:50 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
After I sandblasted all my front axle parts, I took to a front end shop and they ordered +0.010 oversized king pin kits that included bushings, bearings, pins, etc. The kit was about $170 and the labor to ream the holes was about $75. $total bill was around $250 or so.

Well worth it. the steering is absolutely tight and works like new.

They honed the holes with a Sunnen front end hone and everytthing fit perfectly.

Don't try to "cheep' it out. it's not worth it! They can also set camber, toe-in etc. That's worth it too.

I'm also considering a Gear Vendors unit for my OD. Those are not cheep at all....you might just consider a different ring and pinion.

Regards,

Rick

Old 10-10-2006, 07:57 PM
alanco
Senior User
Brakes and things..........

Originally Posted by stewards68
Will do. I'm hoping to find just the OD unit itself to add on, so do I understand correctly that a passenger car unit will fit? Also, the truck has been converted to 12V, so I'm assuming I want a 12V unit.

One main concern with the standard type kingpin bushings was the ability to install them. I keep seeing people imply that they require machining and other problems. I'm keeping the stock 215 6cyl., so weight isn't an issue. Was planning on a disc upgrade but stock steering with rebuild...
I still have an old set of kingpin bushings which came with a bushing driver and a reamer. The truth is that The bushings are just driven in with a standard bushing driver, then the bushing get a pass with a reamer of the same diameter as the kingpin. Any competent automotive machine shop can do this, that is they should have the drivers and reamers in the sizes required, but you can also easily do it.

I don't feel that disc brakes are necessary on an F-100 with a light engine, as the stock brakes are Bendix self energizing drum brakes. If the brakes are in good condition, they are entirely adequate.

Regards,

Alanco

Old 10-11-2006, 06:39 AM
stewards68
Senior User
Thanks for the advice. The brakes have apparently recently been overhauled, but are still a little shaky. Likes to pull to one side or the other. That may be a steering issue, I suppose, I'll see when I tear it down. I had considered a different rear-end, also, but I like the low 1st and second around town, they work well with the relatively low-powered 6. I'll look up Gear Vendors, too. I just haven't seen much on OD's with Google searches.