Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Tires for light snow/ice traction?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 10:46 AM
4.0 Beast
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires for light snow/ice traction?

Hey all, I am looking for a new set of tires for my 97 Explorer AWD. I have a set of goodyear wrangler rt/s on there now but the snow/ice traction SUCKS. i lost control on a road going at least 15mph slower than all the other cars around me (must have been going around 45mph) and slid off the road damaging the left front hub assembly which got bashed on a rock or something blowing out the tire in the process and bending the heck out of my exhaust tailpipe. So... i've concluded that my tires were mostly at fault. Mind you these tires are less than 4 months old with substantial tread still left. They still look somewhat brand new. AWD dont mean jack without good quality tires.

Anyway, i've come across the Pirelli Scorpion ATR for $100 apiece as being one the highest rated in ALL categories including light snow/ice traction. Anyone have any experience with these or experience with any other tires? Im also eye-balling the Michelin Cross Terrain SUV and the LTX's. Any comments will be appreciated. Price doesnt matter.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:13 AM
Baumer
Junior User
I had the cross terrains on my 02 and I cant say theyre all that great but I have heard good things from many others about the ltx's. Personally I would go with the perellis as that is what I would buy if I could afford them up here in canada. Instead I cheaped out and bought bfgoodrich long trails and so far they have done the job. But we also havent got any snow yet so I cant say how they are doin.

Baumer

Old 12-22-2006, 12:25 PM
marragtop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Goodrich AT all terains have worked well for me. A little bit of an agressive tread, so there is some road noise on dry pavement, but great in the snow.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:46 PM
Joe B
Senior User
I have Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's.
Great tire for ride,quiet,handling,rain,treadlife but suck in snow.
Wanted Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo but not made in a 245/65/17.
Tire Rack top rated Pirelli Scorpion ATR would now be my fiirst choice with Firestone Destination A/T next.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:37 PM
Pony Power
Senior User
Don't blame your At's for not getting traction on ice. The only way to achieve any sort of traction on ice is to have studded tires or tire chains on.
We get black ice and sometimes freezing rain around here and your pretty much toast unless you know where its at and are going real slow when you cross it.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:40 PM
jim0517
Senior User
If you want a tire that is great in snow, look at Nokian. Expensive, but I've yet to read a bad review for winter use. Just don't use them the other three seasons as the thread doesn't last.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:03 PM
Viking2005
Senior User
I have had the Pirellis before. I would recommend them.. Good traction on snow covered roads, all the sets I have bought have lasted over 60K miles.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:40 PM
BigClint
Junior User
I have read a lot of good reviews about the Goodyear Fortera TripleTred. Expensive but supposed to be worth it. My company put them on the last 150 Trailblazers they bought this year. I only have 3k miles now and no snow but I am happy with them. Goodyear gives a 30 day trial for them so if you not happy you can get your money back. Give a look at tirerack.com for reviews.

Last edited by BigClint; 12-22-2006 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Added URL
Old 12-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Joe B
Senior User
Originally Posted by BigClint
I have read a lot of good reviews about the Goodyear Fortera TripleTred. Expensive but supposed to be worth it. My company put them on the last 150 Trailblazers they bought this year. I only have 3k miles now and no snow but I am happy with them. Goodyear gives a 30 day trial for them so if you not happy you can get your money back. Give a look at tirerack.com for reviews.
I had a set of Triple Treds on a Corolla I traded in and the tires were fantastic in rain but were pretty bad in snow.
Maybe they would be better on a 4WD vehicle but a A/T tire would be a better choice for snow IMO..

Here's some Pro/Con reviews of the Triple Treds.

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Tires-Goo...st/pp_~1/pa_~1

Last edited by Joe B; 12-22-2006 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Top Jimmy
New User
There are several post dealing with this issue. Here is one...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/2...ht=bridgestone

I have been very please with my Bridgestone Dueler H/L s. I went in for the A/T Revos, but the Firsestone guys questioned me about off road driving etc... I could not be happier. Even though the A/Ts are probably better in the snow, the H/L version was the best balance for my mostly highway driving and they handle the small amount of unplowed snow I see with ease.

Best of luck...

Old 12-22-2006, 04:11 PM
LV Dan
Senior User
Based on Consumer (Union) Report tests done on an '04 Ford Explorer 4x4 XLT, I bought the top rated Goodyear Fortera SUV tire (not TripleTread) in the stock size. I specifically bought them because they did well on snow, ice, and dry pavement for the Las Vegas heat and the snowy passes in Montana. Often a tire will do well on one and terrible on the others. The Forteras did well on all of them.

I've travelled through hundreds of miles on snow and ice in the last year since I bought them. Call me foolish, but I have easily passed cars that were crawling while I felt very secure; I even passed the snow plow.

I am very satisfied with my purchase and find them to be worth the money (they weren't the cheapest tire).

Old 12-22-2006, 08:50 PM
K2JJB
Elder User
I've been super pleased with the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo tires on my 97... they are one great tire in the snow and mud.

-John B

Old 12-22-2006, 10:45 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You won't go wrong with the Pirelli's or the Michellin Cross Terrains. I have run both and know they do well. I just put a new set of Cross Terrains on my wife's Escape, and I was also running them on the Explorer for winter tires (I don't drive it in the winter anymore). I have ran the Cross Terrains and the LTX's at the same time, and the Cross Terrains beat the LTX's. Only reason I went with them over the Scorpions is because I get a better deal on them than I do on the Scorpions. Either will do great for you...

Old 12-22-2006, 11:21 PM
4.0 Beast
Elder User
thanks for all the feedback. im mainly looking for something that i can use all year round rather than a set just for winter. i live in AZ so its not like i drive in the snow all the time! its for those few times i drive in the snow when i go skiing. actually, quite a few times. maybe even take trips to park city and places in colorado. i'll probably go with the pirelli's, i can get them for just $100 apiece. the cross terrain's are like $138 so they are more expensive.

Old 12-24-2006, 03:09 PM
freesplorer
Junior User
try the hankook dynapro as rh03 works great in all weather and pot holes in NY

2001 xlt 4.0 sohv
all stock 235 75 15

Quick Reply: Tires for light snow/ice traction?