1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

4L or no?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 08:51 PM
lavajumper
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4L or no?

ok, so i've been thinking that my low isn't working, but after messing around a bit the other day, i am not sure. i was trying to get over a series of curbs, and i started to spin in 4H, so i switched to 4L and it went over. i am now just questioning if the ranger 4L works differently than any other 4L that i've been in, where the 4L is just very slow and torquey, as oppossed to what mine is doing, where it still takes off quickly, but adds some torque? don't flame me, no i haven't checked into everything yet, but here's what's going on that i know of:

4H works
4L clicks in, it is audible
4L is torquey, but appears to still be quick off the line

any help on this would help. thanks guys, appreciate it in advance

Old 10-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Aramis
Junior User
I don't know which year/model you have, maybe you should have included that...

My 94 (2.3L) when in 4Low is very slow but very torquey!

Old 10-08-2006, 09:24 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
4H is a direct through the tcase, 4L is a 2.71:1 gear reduction. 4L will be quicker off the line than 4H ever thought about bieng but will tack the engine out before any speed is actually reached. So the questions is I still don't understand what your asking.

My problem is, your statement that 4L appears to be torquey but still quick off the line? umm whenever you gear something down it's going to be quicker off the line so why is that suprising.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Level2
Posting Guru
You should know right away if you are in 4 Low by the fact that the engine revs are much higher given the speed you travel. 4 low is still the same thing as 4 hi just with a deeper reduction ratio in the transfer case.