6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Why buy a 6.4? Chipped 6.0 is better!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 07:02 PM
FE352
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am assuming that ya'll are talking about Ford switching to the cummins? If you are talking about that then I'll tell you what I've been telling myself for years. *thinks.. ouch* "When Ford goes over to the Cummins I am deffenetally buying one!"

Brandon

Old 10-02-2006, 07:25 PM
FE352
Senior User
Well I take back my last post. Idk why I thought that. But yeah, idc about the engine I like Cummins... sorry fellas!

Brandon

Old 10-02-2006, 09:30 PM
hschiro
Senior User
I think the new truck looks great. The interior is a lot different, but looks much more comfortable than my current 05. As for the new power, I expect the new engine to get a lot better MPG (closer to the duramax) and the MPG numbers to be more reproducable between each engine than the current 6.0. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck but the new one is going to be a big hit!!!

Old 10-02-2006, 11:03 PM
DFord79
Senior User
HOLLY ****....has everyone lost thier mind....sorry..I have am calm now. The new 6.4 over the 6.0. Many..I mean many more changes....not a remake. MORE power...better fuel mileage...and the inside of the 08 SD looks like a well dressed 18 wheeler. HEY...BE a man..get the NEW F-450 pickup....GM and Dodge dont have one on the horizon yet to compete with it. MY prediction...the new fords are gonna blow GM and DODGE out of the water with this one. LETS wait for the comparisons. This months Truck Trend has a prevew of the f-450 pickup. I WANT ONE>>>> for my big Lance camper @ almost 5.000 lbs loaded....I NEED one..lol

Old 10-03-2006, 08:05 PM
006f350diesel
Senior User
Originally Posted by hschiro
I think the new truck looks great. The interior is a lot different, but looks much more comfortable than my current 05. As for the new power, I expect the new engine to get a lot better MPG (closer to the duramax) and the MPG numbers to be more reproducable between each engine than the current 6.0. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck but the new one is going to be a big hit!!!

i dont think its a fair camparison of fuel milage from the ford to the dmax no matter what engine. the ford is like 1000lbs heavier than the dmax trucks so how is it ever gonna compare. the gm/chevys are basically a half ton with a diesel

Old 10-03-2006, 08:35 PM
hschiro
Senior User
Yea, the Ford is a bit heavier and a whole lot better, but even with the extra weight the new engine is expected (from who I have talked with at least) to have much better fuel economy (as long as you can keep you foot out of the floor, especially if you have a programmer on it)...

Old 10-07-2006, 04:23 PM
79 FORD
Senior User
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
If you think the thread is stupid, why did you respond?

The point is, why would me or anyone else want to trade up for the new model just for the "new engine"? It doesn't appear more refined, only has more junk on it to break. It will cost more to buy and more to repair. Will probably also get worse mpg.
As far as more options, what are you talking about, the step in the tailgate? Yeah, I gott have one of those.........

I will keep my 05 until Ford decides to come out with an all new engine with real innovation, not a made -over 6.0......
T1)The new truck's are made for the new diesel.
2) Some poeple like new trucks
3) 6.4 couldnt be any worse than the 6.0
4) Chipping violates thus ruining warranty (and if you have a 6.0 I hear warrenty is a valuable thing)

Old 10-07-2006, 08:57 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 412 Likes on 273 Posts
Originally Posted by 006f350diesel
i dont think its a fair camparison of fuel milage from the ford to the dmax no matter what engine. the ford is like 1000lbs heavier than the dmax trucks so how is it ever gonna compare. the gm/chevys are basically a half ton with a diesel
You are soooo right on this one. I weighed my '05 Dmax 3500 with the camper on it and came in at 10,500 lbs (600 over it's cap.), just weighed the new truck and came in at 11,360 lbs (just under 11.4k rating, but only 3/4 tank of fuel...).

We're shopping for a lighter camper, but I'll never go back to that light duty (and under designed) GM crap....

Old 10-08-2006, 01:00 AM
DiscountPowerPrt
Elder User
Why ask Why?

I cant think of a new ford truck ever that I didnt like right away...until the 08. The 6.0l had problems in the begining, and so did the 7.3l if you remember. No matter what year 7.3l you buy, if it has an automatic...well we know what them means. junk! I dont ever see this new body style growing on me, but I have been wrong before. Hopefully it changes soon. You guys also have to remember...not everyone has had problems with there 6.0l. I have not, and its been worked hard. I really like it (knock on keyboard).
So, why trade up for a 6.4L? Something new, warranty, may be the next best thing since color tv, have to have the step in the tailgate? Many many reasons. I may trade my 05 in on a 07 just to get thru this new style. I like new. Who knows what the possabilities will be for the 6.4L. Twins is a great start.

Old 10-08-2006, 02:39 PM
moldman7n
Senior User
Originally Posted by 006f350diesel
Absolutely 100% correct. I have posted similiar info. The arguements the Chevy/Dodge guys make against this are hilarious. My favorite was that "Ford has redundant systems that make it heavier". I'm not kidding. Too funny. The Dmax is no better on fuel than the 6.0 when they are geared/used the same. Cummins is the milage champ in this group.

Old 10-08-2006, 05:11 PM
dunbar15
Senior User
I want one

The motor is supposed to be quieter and more powerful (stock) than the 6.0,
Better fuel delivery system. Wont blow head gaskets because it wont be chipped.
I like keeping my motors stock, dont like chipping or messing with them..
I think this truck will be a huge hit..

Old 10-10-2006, 07:14 AM
tpgeneral
Freshman User
Because the 6.0 is a sick.0h I'll wait a few years this time before I by a new one

Old 11-05-2006, 07:01 PM
SUPERDUTY_untouchabl
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DFord79
HOLLY ****....has everyone lost thier mind....sorry..I have am calm now. The new 6.4 over the 6.0. Many..I mean many more changes....not a remake. MORE power...better fuel mileage...and the inside of the 08 SD looks like a well dressed 18 wheeler. HEY...BE a man..get the NEW F-450 pickup....GM and Dodge dont have one on the horizon yet to compete with it. MY prediction...the new fords are gonna blow GM and DODGE out of the water with this one. LETS wait for the comparisons. This months Truck Trend has a prevew of the f-450 pickup. I WANT ONE>>>> for my big Lance camper @ almost 5.000 lbs loaded....I NEED one..lol
well said. people seem to ferget out the twin turbo. i bet the new 6.4 stock will smoke a 7.3 and a 6.0 chiped. or t should any way.

Last edited by SUPERDUTY_untouchabl; 11-05-2006 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:57 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Spartan Racing
It's threads like this that make posting at this site a waste of time anymore.
Stock for stock the 6.4 is already over one second faster zero to sixty than the 6.0, thank god ford doesnt agree with your opinions or technology would just stagnate forever, find something that works and stick with it right boys???
Further, nobody that knows anything about performance enhancement uses "CHIPS" anymore, everything now is programmers, plug it in, download your map for the engine and tranny, unplug it and forget about it, most stay on a shelf until you need to change the program for some reason.
Also, ford is keenly aware of the fastest growing aftermarket performance segment in the country right now being these diesel trucks, and even though they will never come out publically and endorse it, you better believe they know there are thousands upon thousands out there running every day.
Take a guess how many hotrodded 6.0 superdutys you'll find at a nascar race on any given weekend? That includes crews and all transport staff as well as spectators, or maybe an NHRA event, or maybe a built ford tough professional bullriders event.
Personally, my daily driven 6.0 has 44k on it making over 430hp to the wheels with nothing more than a 4" straight pipe w/downpipe, intake and a very good SCT programmer's touch. The truck has run a 13.65 on 35" tires with 6in lift. Stock tranny and all, no puking, no problems. The only thing I do is use additive religiously.
Bottom line, you dont like forward progress, then stick with your old stuff, you dont agree with owners that want more power than the factory gives us, then leave your trucks stock.
But the lecturing on performance enhancement or "chips" as you experts like to call them is really getting old, do what you want with your truck and I'll do what I want with mine.

Show me the graphs and show me the dyno you're using. Only then will I believe you're turning 430 on a stock motor with no enhancments but an SCT on 35" tires. Also, was that corrected numbers (dynoed in overdrive) or a dynoqueen file locked in direct drive. And WHO is your programmer if he/she is that good. You can PM me if you'd like.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:29 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BLK94F150
I pretty much agree with the rest of the bunch.

Why buy a 6.0 when you can chip a 7.3 for more power and more reliability? Whatever the rebuttle to that is would be the same for 6.0 vs 6.4.

Mike
Right up til the point at 87,000 miles when the wonderful dogamatic takes a crap on you.

Quick Reply: Why buy a 6.4? Chipped 6.0 is better!