How does the drivers side window glass

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 07:44 AM
MRL123
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How does the drivers side window glass

Stay put in the channel of the metal piece that goes up and down with the glass? My testosterone fuelled SIL got a little overzealous with the crank and as a result the glass and the channel piece became separated. I can put it back together, of course, but it only stays within the channel for a couple of weeks and then it pops out again. The manual says that a glass shop has a "special process/tool" for closing the channel over the bottom of the glass. Does anybody have the inside scoop on how the average DIY guy can fix this? Everytime I pull the panel off of the door I have to replace the fasteners, retape the dust guard etc. etc. and it's getting to be a PITA.

Thanks All!

Cheers!

Mike

Last edited by MRL123; 09-28-2006 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:48 AM
mudgepondexpress
Elder User
You can buy the stuff at a glass shop or mail order. It is called Glazing rubber. You wet it with a light oil, wrap it over the glass evenly, then slide the metal over the top and if need be drive it on with a rubber mallet. The rubber has cloth and other things in it so the oil will make it swell and lock into position. You won't be able to remove it easily after a couple of hours.

Kenny

Old 09-28-2006, 11:50 AM
mudgepondexpress
Elder User
Forgot...the rubber costs 3.75 for a side for Sunbeams (last one I did) through Sunbeam Specialties. I would be plenty to do an F150 side window.

Kenny

Old 10-22-2006, 09:49 PM
mississauga
Elder User
I have used the polyurethane that is used for installing windshields for this type of repair with excellent results.