1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2001, 02:40 PM
ladewigc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Question

Hi all , Im from South Africa and will be flooding this board with questions, so plz bare with me ;-)

Its the first time im working on a F100 '66 Twinbeam so theres alot of unknows - and w/shop manuals are not available here.

Today I tried lifting the front of the truck with a trolly jack (under front door), after lifting it the front coil spring fell out, is this normal ? Or is there a specific location for lifting the front ?.

Also I need an exploded view of the columb shift and the hand brake cable system under the truck.

I need 2 get it going asap and will order a w/shop manual later.

CHOW

post 1 of many 2 come

Old 03-31-2001, 03:53 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Newbie Question

Graig, Welcome aboard, I hope that you can find a good seat and sit a spell with us. A word of advice for a newbie. Your question very well has been asked "many times", so spend some time reading the archives, there is a lot of great information there.

No, your coil shouldn't have fallen out. There is a retainer at the top that should be in place to hold it in.

I jack my 66 front end under the I-beams. If I want to lift one side, I'll lift it near the shock. if I want to lift the whole front, I'll jack both I-beams from the center. There is too much travel to try to lift from the body like a car.

I hope that you will enjoy your stay. :-)

John
jowilker
[link:www.ford-trucks.net/users/jowilker|Club FTE since 01 01] My FTE Page

[link:www.ford-trucks.net/users/jowilker/NCFTE.html|NC Truck Owners] NC Ford Truck owners group

66F100s Rule
In the cool still quite of night you can hear chevies rusting away.

Old 04-01-2001, 01:58 AM
ladewigc
New User
Newbie Question

Thanks for the reply, all I need 2 do now is get a decant trolly jack, my 1Ton buckles under the weight a bit. LOL

what is the average mpg for the straight six, 3spd manual ?

Old 04-04-2001, 08:57 PM
66ranger
Elder User
Newbie Question

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-Apr-01 AT 09:58 PM (EST)[/font][p]I get about 20 mpg with the 300 cu 6 cylinder and the 3 speed on the highway with a 3.50 rear end. Just finished putting a automatic behind the six. haven't checked the mileage yet, but it still seems good. The Ford six is a very good engine for everyday use and economy. Don't know how 20 mpg will convert to metric, however..

Old 04-05-2001, 05:04 PM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newbie Question