1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

what's the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 11:09 AM
frogsurfer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question newbie needs ac help

Just got my 'new/old' truck yesterday!, a 1999 green Expedition EB and everything is great except the AC ....

everything appears to be functioning except it blows hot (front and rear), the compressor will cycle on and off every few (5-10?) seconds.

I thought maybe just low refrigerant/slight leak or something and was hoping I could just add a can to fix. Well, I don't know this truck at all, and not even sure where the low pressure side fitting is ...I thought the obvious fitting on the passenger side front (near radiator) would be it, but my gauge (would always check pressure first) and my hose (both with quick-connect fittings) that I used to use with my old truck (that had R134a refrigerant) doesn't even fit. This fitting (and line) also seemed pretty hot where I would have expected cool.

I'm a total newb with this truck, so take it easy on me, but can someone point me in the right direction?? What's up? I was assuming it used R134 coolant (am I wrong? I know there's different fittings for different coolants). Is the low-side somewhere else?

hard to diagnose the actual problem from a post, but is there any checklist you guys would go thru to determin the problem? I was just assumming low charge or leak due to the cycling compressor. I did do a search, could that blend door issue cause this? any other known issue on Epxy's that could cause this?

Thanks in advance for any advise, and hope I found the right forum for my new ride

Last edited by frogsurfer; 09-19-2006 at 11:19 AM. Reason: I can finally have my posts show up
Old 09-19-2006, 01:00 PM
ronk1969
Senior User
the low side should be up by the firewall passenger side

Old 09-19-2006, 03:37 PM
frogsurfer
New User
thanks ronk, I will check there...Like I said, I know it was a stupid Q but I just got the truck, trying to familiarize mtself, and determine everything to do to get it in shape. I couldn't really even get a good look or access to the engine bay due to the height (and I'm 6 foot tall) and didn't have alot of time.....I think the PO put a nice lift kit in it.

what's the normal height to the running/step boards on an EB?

He definitely had some add ons.....aftermarket air intake (looks to be done right, with sensors etc. wielded in the intake). I am thinking the open cone might be sucking 'hot' air but at least it's less restrictive. Anyone have thoughts on venting cooler air to underhood?

Also got brake controllers for my trailer built in, decent window and front guards, a nice interior liner for the rear, and who know's what else.

body is MINT without a single scratch or ding

and the only thing I may need to get would be tires eventually....will do a search to get ideas on rubber, but if there are any suggestions I'm all ears.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:16 PM
dmorgan
Senior User
blend door could be your problem if it is not routing air through your evaporator it will not cool, all you will get is outside air temp