Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with my driver side window

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Bertha1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Problem with my driver side window

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me. My driver side power window was not working in my 87 f150 xlt lariat. I took off the door panel and noticed the regulator and motor seemed to be funtioning properly but the regulator was not in the track of the window. After some doing, I got the regulator on the window track and thought all was going to be fine. Now the window seems jammed because it won't move using the buttons and is extremely difficult by hand. Could it be the wrong window for the truck? I don't know what to do next other than take it to a shop. Please help!!

Old 09-18-2006, 11:33 AM
samahi72
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bertha1
Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me. My driver side power window was not working in my 87 f150 xlt lariat. I took off the door panel and noticed the regulator and motor seemed to be funtioning properly but the regulator was not in the track of the window. After some doing, I got the regulator on the window track and thought all was going to be fine. Now the window seems jammed because it won't move using the buttons and is extremely difficult by hand. Could it be the wrong window for the truck? I don't know what to do next other than take it to a shop. Please help!!
We are having a similar problem with our 87. You have to push the window up at the same time you are engaging the power window. I will be watching your post for the answer. It sounds like a common problem for vehicles this old.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:59 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 763 Posts
So are you saying your window will stay up without the regulator attached? If so it's definitely jambed or incorrectly installed, it should free fall into the door. Check the track on both sides for damage or dislodged/damaged rubber track insert.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:07 PM
Bertha1
Senior User
Yes, it was weird because the window was not being held up by anything other than the tracks on either side. When you move the door back and forth it sounds like there is broken glass in the bottom. I'm thinking the window was broken and replaced incorrectly. Is there a way to tell that the right size window is in there?

Old 09-18-2006, 01:55 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
The windows are all the same. But the tracks are held on with bolts lower down on the door, and there is some play available to loosen or tighten the fit. Rust in the tracks could also be pinching the window enough to make it bind.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:37 PM
Bertha1
Senior User
I did loosen 1 bolt that allowed me to get it back on the track but didn't notice any others that looked related. I am thinking about taking it to the shop for them to look into some other items and may mention the window to see what they say. I know it's not the motor or regulator so at least I go in somewhat educated.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:25 PM
albung
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont know bout window falling down.as it didnt fall on mine but had a bad gear on window motor it was 20.00 at autozone and you have to drill out rivits bet it is your prob

Old 09-19-2006, 07:33 AM
Bertha1
Senior User
I can tell the regulator and motor has been changed before because the rivets are gone and it's held up with bolts and nuts. Plus, there were 2 regulators and motors in the tool box that I guess are the ones he replaced. The window is so hard to move, I doubt the motor has enough horsepower to raise and lower the thing!

Old 09-19-2006, 08:50 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Bertha1
The window is so hard to move, I doubt the motor has enough horsepower to raise and lower the thing!
It's jambed then. Taking the glass out is not at all hard..

Lower the main window all the way.
Remove the 2 screws/bolts on the leading sloped edge of the door which holds the 1/4 window frame. They're under the rubber door seal.
Remove the front track bolt just below the 1/4 window twist lock.
Pull back on the top of the 1/4 window assembly, twist and remove it from the door.
The main glass would be loose now and it should easily slide off the regulator.. so you can lift it from the door. Inspect the tracks and rubber linings for problems, bends, deterioration, rust... anything that will impede smooth operation. Both front and rear tracks should have a gentle curve.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Bertha1
Senior User
Awesome!!! Thanks so much for the detailed instructions. I'll be buying a book (Chilton or Haynes, any suggestions on which is better?) this weekend so I can try to limit the dumb questions.