Sponsored by: DP Tuner

DP tuner ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 06:43 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DP tuner ???

can anyone tell me if a dp tuner can have the t/c lock and the exhaust brake mod added to it?
thanks in advance,
Ron

Old 09-17-2006, 07:23 AM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe Jody locks the TC between 1 & 2 anyway. But just let him know what you have and he can adjust your tune

Old 09-17-2006, 07:29 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
thanks amiller93...im working on funds to mod my truck i want to change out my air filter.put in my gages. 5 inch exhaust and a dp tuner but at same time i want t/c lock and brake but cant aford to all at once. thought if jody could do the brake and t/c it would save some money..

Old 09-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
You can make your own TC lock and exhaust brake with $10.00 worth of switches and some wire.
I know that Jody can custom tune and he may be able to make one of his tunes be a fuel cut-off, close the EBPV, and lock the TC. That would be your exhaust brake right there and you would not need an additional switch. It would also make a great no-start tune as well.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:23 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
thanks dan.im not that good with wire and resisters. i can wire in lights and simple things.thats why i was woundering if jody's tunes could do the same thing without a dash full of switches. if not ive been reading alot on the brake and t/c mods so ill go that rout with a friend of mine if i half to. does the brake work as good as the after market with the butter fly? any one have any problems after doing this mod this way?

thanks again,
Ron

Old 09-17-2006, 10:49 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Ron I've used the EBPV as a brake for about two years now. It's one of the first mods that I did to my truck when I bought it. It's very effective for keeping the speed down on a steep downhill mountain pass. It does it's best work at 2500 rpm and above. Less rpm is less effective. You don't really need it unless you are towing a heavy load that wants to keep pushing you ever faster down the hill. It's not much good for daily driving around town because it takes a few seconds to come on after you engage it, so it's basically useless for stop and go traffic.
It works very well when you are out on the open road and have the time to utilize it's functions, I wouldn't want to have to negotiate some of the big hills while pulling the trailer without it.

Old 09-17-2006, 02:25 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
thanks again dan. i live in the white mountians of newhampshire. very few flat lands here.ill be pulling tractor and a back hoe often and already got people calling me to move campers for them.little extra cash flow im hopeing.hard raising 2 kids alone and not loose your house now a days.

am i better off getting the after market with the butter fly in the exhaust ?

thanks again

Old 09-17-2006, 04:26 PM
kbeefy
Cargo Master
Received 289 Likes on 218 Posts
I recently got a tuner from DP and asked him if he could modify it for a similar purpose... his response was that he uses a base code that keeps the TC locked to about 35 (depends on OD selection) even when the brakes are applied, I've discovered if you pull it into 2nd it will remain locked lower yet. I suppose he could probably burn a custom tune for you like kwik mentioned as well.

One thing that I kinda don't like about running it this way (I still haven't installed a manual TC switch yet) is that when the tranny shifts it unlocks the TC for a moment, and you build more speed.

I'm considering the SPDiesel SSTCC unit to control those functions, seems to have the features I'd like (speed sensitive and user controled TC lockup).

Look at it here...

http://www.spdiesel.com/transmission_controls.htm

Old 09-17-2006, 04:35 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
sounds good..wounder if it is?? thanks for sharing

Old 09-17-2006, 05:22 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
I posted this two years ago when I modified my EBPV to use as a brake. I cannot help you with the wiring on the torque converter (no experience there).
I still use it today.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/2...brake-mod.html

Old 09-17-2006, 06:40 PM
powrstrkn'
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to make your own t/c lock up overide like I did its really easy.
All you need is a double pole single throw switch (just a simple on off type deal) wire, I used 16 gauge , and your prefered method of wire tapping ( I used my soldering skills ) You want to tap into the number 6 pin on the forward most grey connector located under the brake master cylinder. Run the now branched wire through the firewall to your switch and the other pole of the switch to ground when you throw the switch it grounds the t/c lock wire to the pcm and keeps it locked until you throw the switch again. for an indicator light run a small led from radio shack 12v hot to one side and the ground to the spliced pcm wire when it grounds it completes the circuit and lights the ked reminding you that you're "locked in"

Old 09-17-2006, 08:52 PM
kbeefy
Cargo Master
Received 289 Likes on 218 Posts
I'm thinkin ron isn't to interested in wiring up computer overide stuff, but I found the schematic here quite informative...

http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/tclock.html

Theres also some good info on the EBPV mod here:

http://www.imdl.gatech.edu/ljthawk/h.../exh_brake.htm

Old 09-18-2006, 02:46 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
thanks again guys. you all been very helpful.yes i am a little worried about playing with wires that run to my computer.im not that great with wire and resisters.ive read all them threads on how to.it seems easy enouph.just didnt know if the butter fly brake would hold better then the brake mod.or if jody's tune would make it all work without throwing switches all the time.sounds like theres pro's and con's to both ways.something for me to think about.thanks alot for your help and advice.its all been very helpful

Old 09-18-2006, 06:17 AM
670johndeere
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a Exhaust Brake that I have been looking into buying, It is a plug and play harness that uses the existing EBPV in the truck, and also comes with the torque converter lock up switch. The Brake works off a micro switch added to the accellerator pedal. Just look up this number 280028726414 on flebay. Looks like a pretty good setup.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:33 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
sounds like a good deal for 109 bucks!! thanks for the link johndeere..makes me think that jody could do the same thing on a chip. only this set up has a peddle switch as well.