Notices

Clay Bar Lubricant

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 10:44 AM
marlin39d
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clay Bar Lubricant

I've been using Meguiar's Clay bar with the lubricant (Meguiar's Quick Detail Spray is what they put in the box to use as lubricant) and I run out of lubricant well before I finish clay barring the whole truck.

Is there anything else I can use as a lubricant solution to spray on as I go???

Will mild carwash soap work???

Old 09-15-2006, 09:45 PM
redlightning93
Senior User

I just clayed my truck and mixed a strong solution of Megs Gold Class Wash in my wash bucket and it worked fine. Just put the car wash in the bucket and use a strong nozzle to make it suds real good and keep the area you are working with soaked down. Just rinse as you complete each section and you will be OK. I finished up with Mothers cleaner wax and it turned out beautiful.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Dr. Detail
Junior User
Hi marlin39d

The Quick Detailer is the Consumer-grade Mist & Wipe that Meguiars recommends as a Clay Bar lubricant, but Final Inspection is the recommended Professional-grade Mist & Wipe recommended in their professional line. It comes in pints and gallons (see my website DrDetailForLess.com).

On the other hand a mix of car soap in water will also work. Mix according to instructions (usually 1 ounce to 1 gallon). If the bar drags then make the solution a bit stronger. Too much soap is not good because it will interfer with the tackiness of the bar and reduce it's cleaning effect.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:41 AM
is300wrx
Posting Guru
in my personal experience, quick lube or clay lube dries up too quick. After washing and rinsing your car, use a car wash solution as your lube. This is what we do at work and it works perfectly.